991.2 C2S - 530hp / 520 lb ft

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 10:08 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Vetsky

Fair enough. I figured most people that moved from the 987 to 981 move as a result of the new model. Exterior, interior etc..

If it was the same power would have you switched?
I find it crazy to believe the carrera s will have 520 hp. That's basically the current turbo, just RWD. Can only RWD even handle that ?

In this case the 911 turbo would go to a 4.0 liter engine. Turbo s goes away.

Old 10-23-2014, 07:52 AM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Vetsky
I'm just curious what everyone thinks the power "should" be to keep up with other brands, and is it required for a mid-model refresh?

Do you think sales of the 911 would increase if it had another 50HP? I'm not so sure. I think Porsche is all about the whole package, and most buyers appreciate that.
Did this spreadsheet:

Even with a 50 HP gain in the base - Porsche is playing catchup with Chevy. Porsche has to defend the "Turbo" against the competition for sure. This will drag up HP ratings for the other models.

Old 10-23-2014, 08:27 AM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Wink

Originally Posted by Grunty
I am totally content with 430hp and a great exhaust noise.
I really do not need any more power than I already have. And I don't want to give up the audio track to my commute.

Originally Posted by Fester
It'll be 4 banger boxer with turbo in mid 400hp range and some lag. I'm a happy camper with last gen of NA engine!!
What they said...

Old 10-23-2014, 09:27 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by naples991
Did this spreadsheet:

Even with a 50 HP gain in the base - Porsche is playing catchup with Chevy. Porsche has to defend the "Turbo" against the competition for sure. This will drag up HP ratings for the other models.
The big thing is that unless they planned for it, the structure and power train will have to be beefed up and that will add more weight. I never could figure out why Porsche can't compete with Chevy for weight. The stiffness of the C6 was better than the 997. And there are more creature comforts. And bigger torque required bigger / weightier transmissions. Porsche should be saving weight on transmissions. On the other hand, the Porsche drives a lot better but the vettes do pretty good on the circuit.

ChuckJ

Last edited by ChuckJ; 10-23-2014 at 11:17 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 09:55 AM
porshanut is on a distinguished road
Something is up because you wouldn't normally see a 991 GTS model for another 3 years. The 991.2 is going offer something significantly different.

Old 10-23-2014, 10:42 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
No question that Porsche will have turbo charging in the Carrera models due to government fuel efficiency mandates, but expect a commensurate increase in price for performance gains. Maybe they will be available in mid-2015, but my guess is a year later. Thus, existing NA Carrera after-market values may not plumet if the price umbrella that Porsche has always provided is any guide. Yes, Porsche needs to up the HP game (even for the 918), but given the efficiency with which Porsche's put the power down HP increasee may not be quite as high as the OP's link suggests. My bet is that the next big change in what is now the only 911 turbo will be a hybrid that puts out big torque and HP gains. I would not dismiss the 700 hp that journalists have posted. A mid-2015 991.2 is likely, but with mostly electronic tweeks to the engine and maybe the PDK mapping and HP gains of 5-10% at most. Do not forget that the 991 Turbo and Turbo S straight-line out-accelerate almost everything up to about 80 mph by a lot. On the track the turbos are monsters and are still perfectly usable daily drivers, which is very uncommon, if not unique. Oh yes, there are back seats, which are unique, especially if one wants to take their dog with them. That is one reason that I got a 991 TTS rather than a McLaren or Ferrari. The GTR was not in consideration by me, although it is also a monster on the track.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:04 AM
supercharger has a spectacular aura aboutsupercharger has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
The 911 is a racetrack-bred car. It doesn't take a genius to figure that out, yet it's clear that many people consistently overlook that fact. This isn't a "go fast in a straight line" car, and it has never been. Now, if Porsche decides to completely change the direction of the 911, that's on them.

I find it amazing that so-called enthusiasts actually complain about the 911's power output without ever paying attention to its true home: the track. It's a lightweight, high-revving masterpiece that handles like a dream. If you're in the market for a stoplight drag car, get an AMG car and call it a day. If you're still interested in Porsche, get the Turbo.

Another 50hp would be an interesting addition, but you're correct by saying that most 911 buyers are indeed interested in the "whole package." That's why I bought a 911 instead of an M3/4, M5/6, AMGs, Jaguar F-Type, etc.

The thing that strikes me as odd is the fact that owners (or potential owners) complain about the power output. 400hp... what more do you want for daily driving or a weekend cruiser? If you're gunning for the "Most Power" show, you shouldn't even be considering (or shouldn't have purchased) a Carrera.
Well put!!

You describe everything I felt last week on a road trip to Germany, driving Autobahn and The Ring. My 350 hp were super happy the whole week, gave me new lap records and the feeling of the car is just special special!
309 km/h on the way home, downhill yes but fantastic fun:-)

On my last lap a 600 hp Mantay GT2 were chasing me, skilled driver also. Never catched me. The Carrera with the right specs, true "race car ". Few cars are made like this.

A base Carrera is a beast

Last edited by supercharger; 10-23-2014 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-23-2014, 11:31 AM
AndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of lightAndrewP is a glorious beacon of light
Exactly

Originally Posted by supercharger
Well put!!

You describe everything I felt last week on a road trip to Germany, driving Autobahn and The Ring. My 350 hp were super happy the whole week, gave me new lap records and the feeling of the car is just special special!
309 km/h on the way home, downhill yes but fantastic fun:-)

On my last lap a 600 hp Mantay GT2 were chasing me, skilled driver also. Never catched me. The Carrera with the right specs, true "race car ". Few cars are made like this.

A base Carrera is a beast
For those who think Porsche is underpowered, try it on a track with the AMG's and BMW's. Also, anyone who thinks that the 991 TTS needs more power should see if they can handle a bone stock TTS or TT. Porsche puts the power down better than anything close to its various price points. R&T just ranked the Cayman below the M4 and Stingray Z51, but allowed that it was a better car for regular use, not just track contests. They made a big deal about the power differences. Does anybody really want to drag race on public roads? I routinely ignore the inevitable challenges on the street when I drive my TTS. Even when they are from Lambos, AMG's, McLarens and GTR's.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:47 AM
Vise is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by AndrewP
A mid-2015 991.2 is likely, but with mostly electronic tweeks to the engine and maybe the PDK mapping and HP gains of 5-10% at most.
This. From what I was told yesterday at the dealer based on what they heard recently (possibly dealer meeting) the 991.2 S model will not have more power than the 991 GTS. We'll see I guess.

Old 10-23-2014, 02:02 PM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by guab
I wasn't comparing it to my Boss. I realize I didn't specify, but I certainly wouldn't have expected that car to be anywhere near as fast as my Boss (though, the C4S did 0-60 at about an identical speed but much more gracefully).

I was comparing it to the M3/M4's that I was driving on the lot that day. Ultimately I settled on getting a 2011 or 2012 Turbo S (haven't found the right one yet). I was just expecting the 911 to feel faster given it's 0-60 in 3.9 -- but after 60 it really felt like the power fell off. The M4 felt significantly faster after 60 than the C4S -- but it could have just been in my head. Personally, after my last M3 (2008 E93) having tons of problems from day #1, I was trying to avoid getting into another but just wanted to rule it out.

Sorry if I offended you. BTW, when I said base I meant non-optioned -- I realize the C4S isn't the base 911.
Completely off Topic but do you have pics of that Jeep you own you can show me?? I have a 12 AEV wrangler on 35's lifted with bumpers and your sig looks insane lol

Old 10-23-2014, 02:25 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vise
This. From what I was told yesterday at the dealer based on what they heard recently (possibly dealer meeting) the 991.2 S model will not have more power than the 991 GTS. We'll see I guess.
Could that be because the dealer wants to continue to be able to sell current 991's and GTS until the new model arrives? It would be hard for him to move current models if they came out and said the 991.2S or whatever it will be called, is going to have 475-500 HP.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:14 PM
guab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of lightguab is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by thegame
Completely off Topic but do you have pics of that Jeep you own you can show me?? I have a 12 AEV wrangler on 35's lifted with bumpers and your sig looks insane lol
Sure, haha. Pics are pre-motor swap, FYI (being wrapped up soon). Can't lose with 42's! Axles are Currie RJ FF 70's F/R.

Name:  BGC8Dfy.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  140.0 KB
Name:  FpMphhI.jpg
Views: 7
Size:  130.8 KB
Name:  6nX6nDz.jpg
Views: 9
Size:  201.8 KB
Name:  bEoRLMW.jpg
Views: 8
Size:  119.0 KB

Last edited by guab; 10-23-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 03:18 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
0-60 in 3.8 seconds (991GTS by Porsche's conservative measure) or 3.5 seconds (991S by C&D) and does not sound to me like a car lacking in HP or torque.

Old 10-23-2014, 03:26 PM
thegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond reputethegame has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by guab
Sure, haha. Pics are pre-motor swap, FYI (being wrapped up soon). Can't lose with 42's! Axles are Currie RJ FF 70's F/R.

OMG I'm in love lol Ok I'll stop before they get pissed at us derailing this thread. Sick Jeep though!!!

Old 10-23-2014, 04:48 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by KonaKai
0-60 in 3.8 seconds (991GTS by Porsche's conservative measure) or 3.5 seconds (991S by C&D) and does not sound to me like a car lacking in HP or torque.

"But what if I want to race a GT-R on Wilshire Blvd when I drive home from work?! Everyone will laugh when I lose.

Porsche should have more horsepowers so we don't, like, lose."

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991.2 C2S - 530hp / 520 lb ft