Your 991 have build quality issues ? Consider yorself lucky!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-18-2014, 08:06 AM
hdawg will become famous soon enough
Unhappy Your 991 have build quality issues ? Consider yourself lucky!

Many of you write about rattles and other niggles with your 991 Carrera S but mine has to be the worst of the lot. 11k miles, 2 years old and in and out of porsche dealers since day one. Quite fed up to be honest, So i have now written to porsche customer services and Porsche GB's general manager and copied the mail below. If you take a read , maybe you'll feel so better about your cars and something good will come out of my misery! Haha. Paragraph 4 highlights my many issues. Will let you know if this gets any results .

Dear Sirs,

I was recently sent a request by Porsche to fill in a questionnaire regarding my experiences both with Porsche centres and with my vehicle itself. I am now sending this email just to make clear my feelings regarding my vehicle and the experiences I have had.

I can honestly say that the build quality of my 911 carrera S is absolutely shocking and I have had nothing but problems from day one. Of these, many issues concerned numerous rattles , many of which remain. What's more, I am clearly not alone given the hundreds of post on Porsche related web forums regarding similar issues.

I have only dealt with 2 Porsche centres numerous times over the past 2 years , Hatfield and Porsche West Ldn . Hatfield I find particularly unhelpful and often quite rude . West dn are much friendlier and accommodating. However, I am rather disappointed with the ability of both these centres to get things fixed first and even second time around. Additionally, both centres regularly fail to return calls and reply to emails and getting updates on work being done relies solely on me having to phone in.

My £96,000 car has had around a dozen issues over the past two years many of which would not be found on a £10,000 VW. These include a rattling sun roof, front suspension top mounts being replaced twice, front suspension struts being changed, random parking sensor faults, rear seat buckle replacement, creaking driver seats (looked at twice) , dashboard FULLY removed to fix loose vent pipe , oil separator replacement and numerous rattles.

My vehicle is currently (still) suffering from a rattling door panel . This is extremely annoying and I really need fixed. Porsche West Ldn have tried to fix this twice and both times the car has been returned supposedly fixed but the problem clearly remains. They are due to look at this a third time in the coming days but I would welcome your help to get this sorted and do not see why the option of simply replacing the panel itself ( which apparently has been done by some dealerships , including this one, on other cars) will not be considered.

From the above, you will not be surprised to hear that my ownership experience has been truly horrendous and extremely disappointing. So much so that I am even considering seeking financial redress via the small claims court. I am sure they would agree that a car of this cost has not proven to be of satisfactory quality.

This is my fourth Porsche, and although I also own a Cayenne, I dare say these will be my last Porsches. I have simply lost all faith in the build quality of my 2012 991 and in the ability of your dealers to put things right.

I simply want a rattle free , mechanically sound vehicle which I can enjoy. Is that too much to ask for £96,000?

Last edited by hdawg; 10-18-2014 at 01:25 PM.
Old 10-18-2014, 08:23 AM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
No it is not too much to ask.

Old 10-18-2014, 02:05 PM
red4life is on a distinguished road
Exclamation

Hi,

Cannot believe how similar this is to my story !!!

I've just taken my 991 to West London Porsche because of rattles. Basically the circular button on the mirror adjuster panel vibrates sooo badly when the music is on, I often drive along with my finger holding it still

I thought that the car being only 2 years old and covering just 9k miles it would be covered under warranty no problem. However when I got a call a few hours later the dealership said that it was not covered under warranty and that a full inspection of the problem would be needed at 3-4 hours labour charges !!

As the OP has stated in his post this is totally unacceptable and I am going to complain to Porsche UK and consider legal action in the small claims court.

Will be watching this thread with interest.

hdawg - Please pm me to discuss this situation as we may be able to assist each other.

Old 10-18-2014, 04:38 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
agree with you, very bad build quality

Old 10-19-2014, 07:54 AM
cool flash is on a distinguished road
If they tried 3 times and still no success you might have legal recourse.

First year new models tend to have more problems due to inexperience of workers and assembly line setup etc. I always try to avoid first year models.

Regards,

CF

Old 10-19-2014, 08:38 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Have owned a C2 since June 2012. Have 39,750 miles. I have found the build quality to be exceptional. The car is solid, powerful and a pleasure to drive.

Occasional buzz or rattle. Sure. IT'S A CAR and not a watch.

Old 10-19-2014, 11:33 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
I have to agree on this, I love the car but from my experience (Three 991 since 2012) build quality is mediocre at best.
I finally gave up with my rattling doors, sunroof, seats, dash, etc. After multiple dealer visits the thing still rattles more than a $10K Hyundai.

Old 10-20-2014, 12:44 AM
yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !yrralis1 Is a GOD !
I have grown to accept the rattles and quirks as part of the car's charm .

Old 10-20-2014, 05:16 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I consider myself really lucky. Like RNL mine was delivered in June 2012, but unlike him I only have 13,000 miles. At 700 miles I had a problem with a cooling system relief valve which they replaced and later the right door window that indexes down occasionally on its own and creates a whistle at high speed. Porsche has not been able to fix this, but it happens so rarely I have given up and just pull up the window switch. I have had no rattles or other issues so on balance I'm satisfied especially since it was one of the first base models produced (at least for USA). I was planning on getting a new one if the 991.2 had any great new features, but now because of the hesitation / stumble issue, which I don't have and would drive me crazy, I plan to wait to see what the next major change looks like. I'm praying it's not a 4 cylinder, but I would consider a 2.9 or 3.8 turbo if the price is right.

ChuckJ

Old 10-20-2014, 08:06 AM
hdawg will become famous soon enough
This am i decided to email the managing director of porsche GB as well . So far things are looking good ...2pm on monday i get a call from a manager at porsche customer care saying they had received my letter to the general manager, the email to customer services and the email to the managing director and that he is now looking into my case and is extremely surprised / concerned at the issues i have raised. He has promised to sort this out which is a good start and said if the OPC isnt confident they can get this car up to Scratch , he can get the head office techs involved and maybe even take it up there. Will keep you posted but this is encouraging i would say...

Old 10-21-2014, 05:22 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
Lucky

I am indeed a very lucky Porsche owner. I have had many Porsches from my first in 1971 to my present 991. I have had no (zero) issues from any of the cars. I even had a 928 that performed flawlessly for the 2 years I owned it. No rattles, gen I ceramic brakes on my GT3 that did not make any noise,etc.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:48 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
No issues with either my 14 991S or 13 981.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:38 AM
supercharger has a spectacular aura aboutsupercharger has a spectacular aura about
2012 Carrera, driven 36.000 kilometers. Many laps on track.

Incredibly good build, solid and tight. Just small service Upgrades.

Impressed!

Old 10-22-2014, 06:48 AM
lrattner has a spectacular aura aboutlrattner has a spectacular aura about
They do say if your car is built on a Monday or Friday, you run the risk of more issues. Something about workers hungover on Monday and anticipating the weekend of Friday. All it takes, to drive you nuts, is a errant screw left in a place it shouldn't be.

Old 10-22-2014, 08:12 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
2013 4S
19k miles.
Throttle Body replaced under warranty
No squeaks
No rattles
Fantastic
I toured the Plant in Stuttgart, the assembly line.
Those Krauts got it goin on!!
Best Cars I've ever owned.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Your 991 have build quality issues ? Consider yorself lucky!