MFD - Questions

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-22-2014, 05:26 AM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
1.vehicle sets
2. tire pressures
3,4,5,6 low use audio (ios 8 problems),maps,phone(area of bad reception),g force

you can set the top and bottoms lines to your preferences also which i like. top on DTE, bottom on time and outside temp. very rarely a need to take your eyes off the road and fool with the PCM........which IMO is not a distraction

Old 10-22-2014, 08:41 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by trysixty
1.vehicle sets
2. tire pressures
3,4,5,6 low use audio (ios 8 problems),maps,phone(area of bad reception),g force

you can set the top and bottoms lines to your preferences also which i like. top on DTE, bottom on time and outside temp. very rarely a need to take your eyes off the road and fool with the PCM........which IMO is not a distraction
I completely agree with you. I rarely look at the PCM when driving...The MFD I find very nice.. I have to adjust my steering wheel just right to see it properly though. When I do use the GPS/Map I like being able to glance down and see it..

I have the sport wheel, and at first I thought using the stick would be awkward. But I find it pretty intuitive now to page through the different displays I have set up. Although At first I had a terrible habit of hitting the wipers instead of the stick...

Old 10-22-2014, 11:25 AM
Vetsky is on a distinguished road
During the test drive, I tested out the Navi. I did find having the arrows appear in the MFD very useful.

Old 10-22-2014, 11:58 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vetsky
During the test drive, I tested out the Navi. I did find having the arrows appear in the MFD very useful.
It is more than arrows.. There is the map there..

That said, everyone of course likes to drive and navigate in their own way..

The real benefit of having the nav on the MFD is just that you don't have to look over to the PCM display.. it is merely a glance to the right of the speedo...

THe reality is that you have to use all the settings for a while to decide what is right for you. Since I started driving my 991, I've evolved from what I initially thought I wanted to something different. After a couple of thousand miles and driving every day you will figure out what works for you. Not only with the MFD but all the settings..

For example if you have Folding mirrors.. you can program them so the right always dips during backup. I initially thought I wanted that, but found it very annoying... and decided to just push the button on the door to do that.. There's lots of settings you just have to live with for a while to figure out what works best.

Last edited by scatkins; 10-22-2014 at 12:01 PM.
Old 10-22-2014, 12:31 PM
Vetsky is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by scatkins
It is more than arrows.. There is the map there..

That said, everyone of course likes to drive and navigate in their own way..

The real benefit of having the nav on the MFD is just that you don't have to look over to the PCM display.. it is merely a glance to the right of the speedo...

THe reality is that you have to use all the settings for a while to decide what is right for you. Since I started driving my 991, I've evolved from what I initially thought I wanted to something different. After a couple of thousand miles and driving every day you will figure out what works for you. Not only with the MFD but all the settings..

For example if you have Folding mirrors.. you can program them so the right always dips during backup. I initially thought I wanted that, but found it very annoying... and decided to just push the button on the door to do that.. There's lots of settings you just have to live with for a while to figure out what works best.
All good points, and I hear ya.

On my BMW I was eager to use iPhone adapter that allows you to snap in the phone to charge it and control it from their iDrive(their version of PCM). I used it for a week and then just used bluetooth. If you asked me before taking delivery of the car I would have classified that as a major plus to BMW. Now the adapter just takes up space in my center console.

I knew about the map, I just found the arrow directions useful, so I mentioned it.

Thanks

Old 10-22-2014, 01:52 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by scatkins
Mmmmm. So you find it easier to manually adjust the right mirror every time you back up than to have the car automatically do it for you? Why is that? You can have the car memorize the backup setting to exactly how you would like it.