hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-21-2014, 11:29 AM
pal joey is on a distinguished road
hesitation

from what ive been reading it seems to affect some cars and not others.
i have a 2012 bmw 535 ,that also has some brief but still annoying hesitation, might be turbo lag. also had some problems with the battery and tires of all things. sometimes more annoying then the mechanical problem is the response or lack of it from the automaker.

my car will be 3 years old this month, and i will be looking to replace it soon. i dont think i wanna do another bmw.
i am considering a 2012 -13 911.
does the hesitation issue affect all model years of the 991,
or it it limited to certain years?

i would also consider the boxster, infiniti q60, and also give audi a4, a5, a look. im open for some suggestions.if you didnt drive the 911 what would be your second choice, minus the boxster and cayman.

Old 10-21-2014, 11:47 AM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
what hesitation you are talking about? a few months ago sold my 535i M package

Old 10-21-2014, 11:57 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by solrac6262
what hesitation you are talking about? a few months ago sold my 535i M package
https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-here-120.html

Old 10-21-2014, 11:58 AM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
I think he is referring to the complaint that some owners have of a brief feeling of loss of power at around 2300 rpm.

My suggestion is to drive the car and see if you feel it. Go ahead and accelerate hard from a standing start and see if it happens on the car you are considering.

Old 10-21-2014, 01:55 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by pal joey
from what ive been reading it seems to affect some cars and not others.
i have a 2012 bmw 535 ,that also has some brief but still annoying hesitation, might be turbo lag. also had some problems with the battery and tires of all things. sometimes more annoying then the mechanical problem is the response or lack of it from the automaker.

my car will be 3 years old this month, and i will be looking to replace it soon. i dont think i wanna do another bmw.
i am considering a 2012 -13 911.
does the hesitation issue affect all model years of the 991,
or it it limited to certain years?

i would also consider the boxster, infiniti q60, and also give audi a4, a5, a look. im open for some suggestions.if you didnt drive the 911 what would be your second choice, minus the boxster and cayman.
That's a pretty wide variety of car types. . A4 to a 911....

Honestly if you are looking at a used and interested in a 911.. simply verify the problem doesn't exist in the car you are buying. I suspect it is unlikely to show up given you are talking about cars now that are a bit more broken in.

In reality even if the problem exists you may never even know it or recognize it. There are definitely some folks here that are struggling.. but of those who are experiencing it those who are having serious problems are fairly small. I'm guessing a lot of folks now wouldn't have even noticed if they didn't start looking for it.

Just my opinion.. I'm noticing something very slight but I probably wouldn't have pegged it as a major issue. Also I drove a TT for several years and I was very used to Turbo Lag so this is much more benign that that.

To answer your question.. If it weren't a 911 it would have been a Cayman for me.. I like the Cayman just hated the rear end on it.. it always looked weird to me.. I also don't like the air-intakes on the side as well.

If I get outside of porsche I'm not sure what I'd get.. Sports car wise very few other cars interest me other than Porsche. I'd probably just look at an Audi of some sort as I tend to like their styling better than BMW or Merc.. (nice cars they just are too common and don't appeal to my esthetics..)

Old 10-21-2014, 02:56 PM
I have the boxster S and the 911s, both 2014. Very different animals. Both great cars but I prefer the 911. It is much much more angry and raw. The boxster S is super fun and handles like a dream, totally confidence inspiring. But, it lacks in grunt. The GTS boxster is a bit more powerful and that is likely what I will ultimately replace my wife's S with.
They really aren't comparable in that they drive very differently and ultimately appeal to a different audience.

I will say that the boxster has a front AND rear trunk, which is quite useful.
On the other hand, the 911 has rear seats which is also quite useful.

Old 10-21-2014, 03:35 PM
solrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to allsolrac6262 is a name known to all
Sorry,hesitation on the BMW not the 991

Old 10-21-2014, 03:56 PM
pal joey is on a distinguished road
yea i also have the m sport, that was causing my tire problems.good year ls2 245 40 19,a tire from hell.

yes, an a4 4dr or a5 2dr., to 911 is wide variety ,and although im open to a few cars, im still looking for a few more suggestions. i also dont like the back on the boxster / cayman, and those black side vents would look better if they were color coated, that could be a simple fix.

rather then trying to identify the hesitation on an abbreviated test drive,is there any given years or models affected? is it both carrera and carrera s? if i can avoid the model year thats the way id prefer to go ,if in fact i decide to go with a 911.
is the hesitation evident at delivery or does it surface as time goes on?

my son recenlty leased a infiniti q60 coupe,and i see some 911 dna in that car.
the dimensions, the sloped roof line the front fenders, nice sporty interior, the small back seat,and a healthy 330 hp . it also came with a sweet sounding exhaust system,that was standard equipment. the car starts at 41 g. and could be out the door mid to upper 40s.

Old 10-21-2014, 04:30 PM
Yolev has a spectacular aura aboutYolev has a spectacular aura about
I have a 2013 base 991 7MT and have experienced no hesitation issues at any RPM or any speed. This is a truly wonderful car for street use, the way it revs and handles and its solid feel. If I couldn't have a 991, the only other sports car I would consider would be the C7 Corvette.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:35 PM
todd92 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Grunty
I think he is referring to the complaint that some owners have of a brief feeling of loss of power at around 2300 rpm.

My suggestion is to drive the car and see if you feel it. Go ahead and accelerate hard from a standing start and see if it happens on the car you are considering.
If you have followed any of the discussions about the 2500 RPM stumble, you would know that those that have it see it under light acceleration or steady speed near 2500 RPM. Accelerating hard from a standing start would reveal nothing.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:13 AM
Perhaps for you, but in my case the stumble occurs only under accel from a standing start. No issues whatsoever at speed.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:17 AM
todd92 is on a distinguished road
The standing start hesitation is normal PDK function and is quite different from the 2500 RPM stumble, which is a VarioCam issue.

I have neither.

Old 10-22-2014, 01:05 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by todd92
The standing start hesitation is normal PDK function and is quite different from the 2500 RPM stumble, which is a VarioCam issue.

I have neither.
My 2009 C2S PDK had a hesitation because the clutches locked up immediately on acceleration. My 991 C2 immediately revs to 3500 RPM and gradually locks up presumably to maximize acceleration.

ChuckJ

Old 10-22-2014, 03:38 PM
handfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to beholdhandfull is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
My 2009 C2S PDK had a hesitation because the clutches locked up immediately on acceleration. My 991 C2 immediately revs to 3500 RPM and gradually locks up presumably to maximize acceleration.

ChuckJ
Ditto and it's similar to reving to 3500 rpms with a manual and then dropping the clutch. Except in this case there is no wheel spin.

Old 10-22-2014, 06:08 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by handfull
Ditto and it's similar to reving to 3500 rpms with a manual and then dropping the clutch. Except in this case there is no wheel spin.
Yep, the clutches engage just slowly enough to avoid wheel spin. Unfortunately those with manual gearboxes can do this without hurting the clutch.

ChuckJ

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: hesitation