Snow Tires: 2015 911 Targa 4S

Old 10-21-2014, 01:38 PM
RickInTheMtns is on a distinguished road
Snow Tires: 2015 911 Targa 4S

I'm picking up my 2015 Targa 4S next week and I'm in need of snow tires pretty soon. I've been in and out of a bunch of threads on this topic and have narrowed down a search for snow tires to the following:

Michelin Pilot Alpin PA4 (20”)
Pirelli Winter 240 Sottozero Series II (20”)
Continental Winer Contact TS 830 P (19”)

Does anyone have any real life experience with any of the 3 tires driving a 4S in snowy (preferably mountain snow) conditions?

(Note: I'm getting 20" Carrera wheels but a local tire shop has offered me a deal on the 19" Conti's as a complete wheel set which is why I've included that here.)

Thanks!

Old 10-21-2014, 02:10 PM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
I have the Michelins on my C4S (on 20" Carrera wheels as well).

They have handled admirably for a 295 width tire here in NYC winters.

Old 10-21-2014, 05:15 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Same here. I used the Michelins on my C2S and thought they performed really well last winter. Ground clearance will become an issue way before you run out of grip (even in a RWD car).

Old 10-21-2014, 05:39 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Running 20" Michelins on S wheels for my C4S. I've driven in all weather conditions, and the only time I was worried was when the snow was deep, drifts higher than the front aero lip, and I was more worried about hitting ice chunks that might damage something more than losing grip. The Alpins performed extremely well, in rain, ice, sleet, etc. You won't be disappointed.

Old 10-21-2014, 08:13 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I used the Dunlops that TireRack sells (in 19"s) on my C2S last winter and they did the job very well... and believe me with the winter we had they were put to the test.

Old 10-21-2014, 09:17 PM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
You should consider Nokian snow tires.
I've run them up in Canada on a turbo & 4S.
They're a bit more expensive, but like they say, you pay for what you get.
Porsche runs these tires on the cars doing the Camp4 winter camp in Canada.
These tires provide excellent traction & also have an all season rating. In fact the they're the only tire that has a snow rating & all season capability.
Edmonton Police service runs these tires on the cop cars year round & we see bad winters in Edmonton.

Old 10-22-2014, 10:43 AM
the2thdr has a spectacular aura aboutthe2thdr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by G-forceTarga4S
You should consider Nokian snow tires.
I've run them up in Canada on a turbo & 4S.
They're a bit more expensive, but like they say, you pay for what you get.
Porsche runs these tires on the cars doing the Camp4 winter camp in Canada.
These tires provide excellent traction & also have an all season rating. In fact the they're the only tire that has a snow rating & all season capability.
Edmonton Police service runs these tires on the cop cars year round & we see bad winters in Edmonton.
Timely response. Both in terms of the tire recommendation and having ordered a C4 GTS. I was planning on ordering Hakkepelitta 8 studded in 20's. Do the tires have to be N spec? Do you run yours year round here in Edmonton? Have been wondering how the car will do with our winters.

Thanks!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:24 AM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
I run 18" Nokian Hakkepelitta studded on a '13 Acura MDX....best snow tire I've ever owned!

Old 10-22-2014, 11:35 AM
G-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant futureG-forceTarga4S has a brilliant future
The Hakkepelitta 8's with studded tires you could use for ice racing! The Porsche winter driving school has those on the cars. Traction is amazing, however this is likely going to exceed your needs. A guy I work with runs the studs on his BMW coupe which is rear wheel drive & no issue. He does say they're somewhat noisy. With that heavy rear end on a Porsche the traction on un-studded Nokians is very good. I leave SUV's standing still at lights with their all season tires.
I run the Nokians year round on my Audi Q5 & it handles very well in the winter up here. I don't run them on the Porsche in the summer b/c I like to take the car to track & they're too soft a compound & would wear down fast under that stress. Nokian winter compound works great in really cold conditions. The cops run them year round here & actually tested them on an icy track, with the best results. They are also the only "all season" with a snow rating. I do find snow tires give a spongy feel & the car doesn't feel as planted.
I hope this helps you decide.

Old 10-22-2014, 02:39 PM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
Of the 911 offerings, I sell most the Michelin and the Pirelli, with the Michelin hedging the group. The Conti's would be third. All are great tires. I don't sell the Nokian but do have my share of people swear by them and won't drive anything else. At one time we did sell Nokian for Porsche for the winter and didn't find them to be any better than the Michelin or Pirelli. In deep snow, the tread design of the Michelin will likely be just a bit better due to the more open shoulder area.

Please call me if I can help.

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 10-22-2014, 09:23 PM
vangulik42 is on a distinguished road
I had 19" Pirellis Sottozero winter performance tires on my base 991 c2 and was, frankly, disappointed last winter. I have run American rwd V-8s, a Camaro, a GTO, and a G8GT, with "studless snow and ice" winter tires, often Bridgestone Blizzaks, for a number of years. I have never had a problem reaching my house on snow covered hills leading to it.

I expected even better performance from the Porsche, given its much greater percentage of weight over the rear drive wheels. Instead, I had to give up during a not extraordinary snow storm and walk home. Perhaps it was partially due to the lack of the mechanical limited slip differential that the all the V-8s had, but I strongly suspect that Pirellis are optimized for low temperature dry road performance, not maximum traction on snow and ice.

I don't know if any of the tires available in Porsche sizes give the same level of snow and ice traction as the Blizzaks or other "studless snow and ice tires". I simply bought a Subaru Forester which will get Blizzaks soon as my "go-to" snow and ice car. The 991 will remain on its Sottozeros for winter use when snow and ice are not present.

Last edited by vangulik42; 10-22-2014 at 09:47 PM.
Old 10-23-2014, 01:11 AM
vkxpmoroeyg is on a distinguished road
They have handled admirably for a 295 width tire here in NYC winters.

Old 10-23-2014, 11:53 AM
fergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nice
I just got my Targa 4S and am putting the Porsche spec 19s with the Michelins on it for the winter. Although I have 20s for summer my dealer suggested going to 19s with Michelins for more grip. I have Pirelli Sotto Zeros on my PGTS and they are fantastic, but the dealer said the Michelins would be best on the 911.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	TE13MODTD0026_big.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	101.0 KB
ID:	405816  
Old 10-23-2014, 07:21 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
fergie, I've gone with the same OEM winter set. I'm in no hurry to need them on though....

Old 10-23-2014, 10:01 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
I'll be running these this winter.

Nothing like 295 20" Winters. Haha.

Would Nokian even make a Hakka that would fit this rim size? Just curious. I put Hakkas on my Cayman but those were little 17" winter wheels. Amazing in snow, but pretty squirmy in the dry.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow Tires: 2015 911 Targa 4S