991 to 993...am I crazy?!?!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 07:35 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by 911cv
Also, as mentioned before, I feel I am in a different situation than most here. I don't use my car to commute to work.
If the sole purpose of the car is for pleasure street-driving (and you don't need to worry about daily comfort, reliability, safety, track-performance, etc.) then yes the 991 is probably not the best choice because it often feels too docile at sane speeds.

The air-cooled's scratch a different itch. If you can afford the 993TT, I say go for it, but I think you will have 90% of the fun in most other air-cooled 911's that cost a fraction as much and have easier maintenance. You might also consider other fun "occasional drivers" such as a 360, 355, Cobra Kit, etc.

Old 11-01-2014, 11:42 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Well, looks like moving to a 993tt is not happening anytime soon. I have an ad up here and on Auto Trader and have received no inquiries. Any suggestions on how to better market the car? I feel it's priced competitively....maybe even below the competition (msrp +130k, asking 107k). Also, are the wheels turning people off? If so, I have the identical set in platinum satin. Should I swap them out?

PPI and Carfax in hand....what more could someone want!!! :-)

Old 11-01-2014, 11:51 AM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
Well, looks like moving to a 993tt is not happening anytime soon. I have an ad up here and on Auto Trader and have received no inquiries. Any suggestions on how to better market the car? I feel it's priced competitively....maybe even below the competition (msrp +130k, asking 107k). Also, are the wheels turning people off? If so, I have the identical set in platinum satin. Should I swap them out?

PPI and Carfax in hand....what more could someone want!!! :-)
Looks great to me, I would keep it. The 993tt is a fun car but I don think it is a good replacement for yours. I have driven the 993tt S, gemballa TT, 993c2s all fun cars but no match in anyway. If you really want that raw feeling get a 360 with a manual trans.

Old 11-01-2014, 05:29 PM
empunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of lightempunker is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by lrattner
You should have gotten the 991 with 7MT. It would have made you feel a lot different.

I agree!!! The 7MT is amazing, the best manual transmission I've ever driven.

It makes the 991 feel like a Porsche! Totally different from the PDK.

Go for a 991 7MT!

Old 11-02-2014, 08:14 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
The plan (as of now...lol) is to buy a 993 Turbo and drive both. Whichever I like more, I'll keep.

The winter tires are going on the 4S today.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:11 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
If all you want is a part-time occasional weekend romp, then the 993TT may just be the ticket for you. As a nearly 20-year old car, there are going to be issues, maintenance and repairs, stuff that fails just from being old. If you don't care about comfort and safety and reliability, then the 993 is for you.

I've owned a 964, 993, 996.2, 997.2 and (still have) 991. Each had it's own charm and advantages over the previous generation. If I had the space and funds, I'd own another 964. But I'd keep the 991 because it is the best one.

Old 11-03-2014, 06:35 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Well, looks like moving to a 993tt is not happening anytime soon. I have an ad up here and on Auto Trader and have received no inquiries. Any suggestions on how to better market the car? I feel it's priced competitively....maybe even below the competition (msrp +130k, asking 107k). Also, are the wheels turning people off?
I just sold my gorgeous Mercedes E350. It was the finest example one could hope to find, but no one would come look at it. I had to keep lowering the price until I got some action, and finally a dealer bought it! People these days don't seem to want to buy from an individual unless it's an absolute steal. They can't get financing, or they want a CPO, or they just think that buying from a dealer is safer. It's tough.

So, to answer your questions:
- eBay
- it's too expensive
- I don't like the wheels (but plenty of people do, so don't go just on that)

The problem with your ad is that your pictures don't flatter the car at all. The wheels especially - they photograph poorly. Look at eBay and check out some of those ads. The really good ones have lots of professional quality photos. That's what sells the car. That and a clear description of the car and options. A picture of the PSE button ain't gonna do it.

If you can't photograph well, find a friend who can. Or hire a professional.

FYI: in your list of options, you list PASM, which is not an option (it's standard on the S).

IMHO: you make a big deal of the PSE after-market install and the tint. Just list PSE, and mention the tint. Don't expect to get your money back on those.

HTH.

Old 11-03-2014, 10:25 AM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
I've got a 2013 991 C4S with manual transmission. There's nothing numb about it at all. But I had a PDK loaner last week, and I loved it specifically because it felt "smooth" to me (what you call "numb"). I'll trade you my 7MT for your PDK for a month. Then we can both decide if we prefer what the other guy has. I'd do that prior to pulling the trigger on a 993 if I were you. Just saying. :-)

Old 11-03-2014, 12:03 PM
Originally Posted by SergePorsche
I've got a 2013 991 C4S with manual transmission. There's nothing numb about it at all. But I had a PDK loaner last week, and I loved it specifically because it felt "smooth" to me (what you call "numb"). I'll trade you my 7MT for your PDK for a month. Then we can both decide if we prefer what the other guy has. I'd do that prior to pulling the trigger on a 993 if I were you. Just saying. :-)
Hmmm, I'll to think about this. You're located in VA too, right?

Here's my deal, my car is absolutely beautiful and I can't stop staring at it. I think if someone wanted to buy my car at asking price, I would have a really hard time letting it go. Subconsciously, I think this is the reason for my half-a** marketing (Beemer guy....thanks for the feedback...all good points) Lol. It's perfect in every way.

I had a similar issu

Old 11-03-2014, 12:04 PM
Originally Posted by SergePorsche
Hmmm, I'll to think about this. You're located in VA too, right?

Here's my deal, my car is absolutely beautiful and I can't stop staring at it. I think if someone wanted to buy my car at asking price, I would have a really hard time letting it go. Subconsciously, I think this is the reason for my half-a** marketing (Beemer guy....thanks for the feedback...all good points) Lol. It's perfect in every way.

I had a similar issue in 2006 when I bought an SMG M3. It was great at first, but I got rid of it pretty quickly for a 6MT because I felt disengaged from my car.

Funny enough, I'll be sending my extra set of tips out on Friday to be ceramic painted black. Who mods a car that they have for sale?!?! Lol, I'm pretty sure I'm not getting rid of it.

Old 11-03-2014, 12:27 PM
SergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the roughSergePorsche is a jewel in the rough
Yes, I'm in central Virginia, about 5 minutes from an absolutely fabulous one-hour drive through the Blue Ridge Mountains. I work from home so the only reason I bought my C4S was so I could drive it on this one-hour circuit with wonderfully banked curves, and river/mountain views all around. It's like the car was built specifically for this drive. So if you're game, PM me and we can schedule a drive through the circuit together; first in our own cars, and then in the other's. Not necessarily with the intention of swapping cars permanently, but just for a morning or afternoon drive, so we can each experience what the other has, on roads meant for these cars.

BTW, I did drive this circuit on the loaner Porsche with PDK, but it was a base Cayman, so I'm curious to see what it would feel like in a car just like my C4S but with PDK.

Last edited by SergePorsche; 11-03-2014 at 02:35 PM.
Old 11-12-2014, 02:45 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
The 993 TTs are at an all time high now averaging $130K plus for a nice one with low mileage plus any maintenance it may need. If the market drops and it can over night the losses may be high. I would not take the risk now purchasing a 993 TT.

Old 11-12-2014, 02:53 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by cabman4007
The 993 TTs are at an all time high now averaging $130K plus for a nice one with low mileage plus any maintenance it may need. If the market drops and it can over night the losses may be high. I would not take the risk now purchasing a 993 TT.
Yes, the 993TT's CAN drop in value. And a 991TT is GUARANTEED to have a high loss in value practically the minute it is driven off the lot.

Problem for the OP is that he already has taken significant depreciation on his 991. Most sensible move for the OP is probably to buy a nice driver-quality air-cooled (like a G-Series base or S) for $20-40k and see how he likes it in the long-term before he trades out of his 991 for 6 figures.

Old 11-12-2014, 06:12 PM
Originally Posted by cabman4007
I wonder how many 993 Turbos are actually selling at these ridiculous prices. I've seen a couple on ebay going for a lot, but these were low mileage cars most likely going to collectors.

Old 11-12-2014, 07:24 PM
cabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud ofcabman4007 has much to be proud of
I am FLOORED when checking out Sloan Cars in New Haven, Ct. I realize most cars are on consignment but they sure are over priced. It is to the point where they do not post the prices, you have to contact them. The market is great for 993 and older turbos now.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 to 993...am I crazy?!?!