side view mirrors

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2014, 02:26 PM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
side view mirrors

Anyone have any experience taking apart a side view mirror? I would live to switch the housings to carbon fiber but I don't want to crack the mirror. Thanks!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:17 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Ok, first I have to say that I have NOT actually taken the mirrors off of my 991. But I've been thinking about it. I too was considering swapping for either Carbon or upgrading to the SD set... But haven't pulled the trigger just yet.

In the meantime, the following Pic might help a bit... this is from the PET catalog, assuming standard mirrors.

If I have a few moments tomorrow I might just pop one of my mirrors off and take some pics.... You've got me curious and I can't sleep until I figure it out!

Old 10-29-2014, 07:25 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
You have to take it off the door from the inside. The inside door panel needs to come off first. It's quite the project! I saw what my body shop guy had to go through.

Taking the mirror apart is another job in itself. Obviously it can be done, but not for the average Joe (a jawells project definitely!)

Last edited by STG991; 10-29-2014 at 08:10 PM.
Old 10-30-2014, 07:36 AM
thanks for the exploded view. Looks like changing the mirror to carbon is a bigger job than I thought. I hate having to pay for installation of anything! Not to mention finding a trusted installer.

Old 10-30-2014, 08:02 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by Compukidd
thanks for the exploded view. Looks like changing the mirror to carbon is a bigger job than I thought. I hate having to pay for installation of anything! Not to mention finding a trusted installer.
Are you looking at the MACcarbon CF shell? From what I can tell that might be a direct "snap-on" replacement to the part #'d "4" in the diagram posted previously, separated from # "6" which is either black or painted body color.... so you may not need to remove the mirror / base assembly from the door at all.... I could be wrong though but looking at the diagram you can see the tabs along the top-edge of "6" which most likely are where the painted shell ("4") snaps into place. Doesn't look like any screws or other fasteners are involved (Although now that I keep looking at the diagram, it appears that you may need to remove the bolt numbered "19", which can only be accessed if you first remove the mirror glass). Hmmm. There must be an attachment to the mirror position control motor as well.... Eh- more to come on this.

Now, if we find out that you have to remove the entire mirror, base, cover etc assembly, I am pretty-sure that you have a single bolt on the inside of the door, directly under the Airbag plastic piece at the front edge of the door panel.... And you don't have to remove the entire door panel. I will take a few pics in a short while while I take a break from work. And if I feel it is simple enough, I'll take mine off and post a DIY with pics so that everyone else can see what is involved....

Hope this all helps....

Old 10-30-2014, 08:21 AM
Yes...thats the exact part I am looking to use. I don't think it requires the removal of the mirror from the door either. I just think its strange that MAcarbon does not supply an install guide for this part. They seem to have install guides for the simple parts that probably do not need an install guide.