Reprograming Multifunction/PDK Buttons to Shift Like Paddles

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-16-2014, 05:56 PM
StevieD'Santi is on a distinguished road
Reprograming Multifunction/PDK Buttons to Shift Like Paddles

Please forgive me for not introducing myself properly. I'm just so excited to have finished modifying my 991 Multifunction steering wheel buttons to shift up with the right/rear button and down with the left/rear (front buttons deactivated).

I've graduated to my current 991 C2S from a heavily modified Cayman CS (think faster than your ordinary Cayman R) as it has become too hard for me to drive on the roads. But, more on me and my Cayman another time. Here's what I've done by following the advise from others on this and various 991 forums...

Disclosure; Reading Planet-9's Robertsmania Rewire Steering Wheel PDK Buttons instructions got me believing that it possible to do the same on my 991 wheel. However, his car was an earlier Cayman and.. didn't have multifunctions.

As I followed his instruction, I learned several tips that made it easier for you to do it if you have some automotive modification experience. For example:

I covered my nice leather wheel with paper towels and masking tape to prevent any damage that it may be subject to while off the car.

On Robertsmania's instructions:
Step 2. Removing the airbag, I discovered that it was easier to release by with a 3mm standard hex wrench, tilting the the top of the wrench toward the front of the car. That will guide the inserted end towards the metal air bag removal latch that needs to be pushed up.

Step 4. I placed a small slotted screwdriver under the orange tab from the top of the connector to easily raise the tab for connector removal as I couldn't raise it with my fingernail.

Step 12. I strongly recommend getting a set of Harbor Freight's nylon Trim and Molding Tool Set at 6.99 is a bargain if you want not to mar your beautiful MF wheel.

Step 16. Before starting this most difficult step, try unlatching the two plastic tabs inside airbag chamber (pictured in Robertsmania step 31). I think I may have overlooked them when I first tried to open the fascia. Also, if your not doing this on a warm 85 deg day in the sun, a HAIR DRIER WILL MAKE IT A LOT EASIER to release the plastic holding rivets. I particularly found 6Speedonline's Kaz Multi-function wheel upgrade for 997.2 step 14 was most helpful at working the side spoke fascia apart. Using the trim removal tools instead, inserting several tools and an electrician's screwdriver in between gives you the wedging effect that Kaz wrote about. Do not try prying apart with two hands, it may damage the fascia.

Step 19. Skip this section completely as you don't need to remove the circuit boards like I did to design this modification for the 991 multifunction wheel.

Once apart, I discovered a major difference in the connector wiring that didn't apply to my steering wheel. It took me an evening exploring, tracing and scheming the PDK button signals on the 991 Multifunction steering wheel on paper.

Then I came across fontana302 brilliant post describing how Robertsmania's modification can be done without cutting or soldering! So I thought about how can this be done with the PDK/Multifunction? And, this is what I came up with:

Here is the way I reprogrammed the buttons without cutting or soldering a la fontana302:
1. As per my diagram above, remove the #3 wire from connector R2 by first removing the connector from the board (squeezing the release tab first). Then, place a straight pin, the kind you get with a new shirt, in the little hole and under the rectangular latch that holds the wire terminal in the connector. This is best done by first pushing the terminal further into the connector before relieving the latch and pulling the wire out. This effectively prevents the down-shift signal from the right/rear button.

2. Remove the #2 wire from same connector R2 (sends up-shift signal from the right up-shift button) and insert it into the vacant #3 spot that you just removed in the previous step. This disables the right/front button while sending up-shift from the right/rear down-shift button to the PDK controller.

3. Remove the #6 wire from the connector R1 and connect it to the end of the wire you removed from R2 #3 in step 1. Use a piece of shrink tubing to keep them connected by shrinking it with with a solder iron. This way the modification may be undone (I also folded a small copy of the modification diagram and stuck it under the harness for future reference). This step re-routs the down-shift signal from the left/rear button directly to the PDK controller.

4. Remove the #8 wire from connector R1 and insulate the terminal with a shrink tube. This disables the left/front button from sending up-shifts.

During the installation of the airbag, there was another catch that I missed that Robertsmania found, causing the horn to always beep when turning on the ignition... There are two small plastic latches illustrated in his step 31 that must be depressing with a screw driver before the fascia can become properly seated.

So if you want your PDK/Multifunction to drive like race car give this a try. Or, give it to a tech who can do it for you. It was a fun mod and makes me think twice on spending $1000. to add paddles. Plus, I think its more functional and aesthetically pleasing to boot.

Thanks,
-Stevie

Original PDK/Multifunction Shift Functions

Old 11-18-2014, 07:33 AM
Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !Scott997 Is a GOD !
Great Post!

Awesome Post Stevie very kind of you to take the time and do the writeup.

This is a great mod for everyone. I had this done to my 997 wheel C2S wheel, its way more fun and intuitive. I often get confused if I'm driving someone else's Porsche and they don't have the mod where I just use the actual shifter.

Old 11-20-2014, 06:56 AM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for taking the time to post this up and share the info! Very cool!

Old 04-22-2015, 03:00 PM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
Amazing post!! I was thinking of doing it.

Old 04-25-2015, 07:21 AM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
Today is the day!!! I am very excited to have this mod performed. Stevie D'Santi above lives near me on Long Island and he is going to help me with(perform) install.
We plan on taking more pictures and video of mod to follow.

Can't wait for paddle shift feel with multifunction wheel!

Old 04-26-2015, 10:44 AM
Everyone with a multifunction wheel must do this mod!
Best DIY mod for 991.

Oem multifunction wheel configuration is now:
Pull left shifter downshift
Pull right shifter for upshift

Porsche should have done this from factory.
Thanks for your help, no way I could done it without you!

Old 04-27-2015, 06:51 AM
Curvfun is on a distinguished road
I did this when I added paddles to the MF wheel. Works great. Now if we could only figure out how to reverse the actual shift lever. If the GT3 is now reversed, wonder what it will take for a non-GT3 to be reversed?

Old 04-27-2015, 10:52 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Curvfun
I did this when I added paddles to the MF wheel. Works great. Now if we could only figure out how to reverse the actual shift lever. If the GT3 is now reversed, wonder what it will take for a non-GT3 to be reversed?
Anyone thought of swapping in the GT3 Gear Shift Module [Shifter]?
9G1-426-011-90

It's a $750 gamble to try the part.

Old 04-28-2015, 03:26 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Or you could replace the buttons with the Champion or TechArt paddles. Marc

Old 04-28-2015, 03:42 PM
Champion and techart make amazing products. Especially if you are looking for true paddles.
If you have mechanical skills. Steve and I shot a how to video that he is editing as we speak. This also keeps the stock wheel and saves a lot of $$$.
Mod only needs less than $5 in materials if you have the tools and 4 hours to complete process. Patients is key.
In our 4-5 hour process we spoke a lot and double and 3-4x checked our work prior to putting wheel back on.

Results: perfect! Drives like my other car w paddle shifters. Love this mod!!

Old 04-28-2015, 05:06 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Nice job! Can't wait to see the video.

Old 03-15-2016, 03:29 PM
teambell is on a distinguished road
I have interest in this mod, did the final video ever get posted?

Old 03-15-2016, 04:08 PM
StevieD'Santi is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by teambell
I have interest in this mod, did the final video ever get posted?
Sorry but you were the only interested party in doing it_Steve

Old 03-15-2016, 08:35 PM
Steve did it on my car and it worked flawlessly to this day. I use them everytime I drive my car.

Thanks again Steve! Hope to see you at a show soon.

Old 03-15-2016, 09:00 PM
DJSArcade is on a distinguished road
If I needed this mod I'd just pony up for the paddles. It's not worth the warranty risk IMO.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Reprograming Multifunction/PDK Buttons to Shift Like Paddles