Fully turned steering wheel making weird noise with the tires

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-18-2014, 08:43 PM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Question Fully turned steering wheel making weird noise with the tires

When the car is somewhat cold and I try to fully turn the wheels to either get out of the garage or maneuver the car it makes a weird noise (drivers side) which feels like I am driving on a ridged surface until I turn the wheel back to be straight ...its a strange feeling and quite frankly extremely annoying as nothing seems to be wrong with the tires....

thoughts or something I should look for?

Thanks in advance for any advice

Old 11-18-2014, 09:10 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Still wearing your summer tires? If so the issue is likely the cold, stiff warm-weather rubber compound making the noise as the tread blocks slip and skip rather than stretch and grip under the stress of the snow sharp turns. It's normal, but also an indicator that ambient temps are too cold for summer tires which lose their effectiveness starting around 40 degrees.

Old 11-18-2014, 09:32 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
That's normal on any car with wide tires at full lock. It part of the Ackerman effect and exaggerated by tire size.

Old 11-19-2014, 09:44 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
As BradB said, the issue is summer tires in the cold temperatures.

The factory tires are really only good down to about 45degF. Below that the compound is too hard. This is most noticeable, as you had described, at full lock, slow speeds, when first starting to drive after it has sat in the cold. The tire sort of grinds / skips along the road surface.

I switch to dedicated winter tires to prevent the problem.

Old 11-19-2014, 10:08 AM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by drcollie
That's normal on any car with wide tires at full lock. It part of the Ackerman effect and exaggerated by tire size.
Yes, agree....

It has nothing to do with temperature, it happens on a 90 degree day to me when I fully turn the wheel..

Old 11-19-2014, 11:00 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I only get in cold weather (I have Sport Techno Wheels). Generally below 50' F. Nothing in spring/summer/fall

Old 11-19-2014, 11:34 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Normal. Topic addressed every year at this time.

Old 11-19-2014, 04:00 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scatkins
Yes, agree....

It has nothing to do with temperature, it happens on a 90 degree day to me when I fully turn the wheel..
I don't notice it too much during warm days. Definitely temperature related and much worse on colder days.

Old 11-19-2014, 07:55 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
It's normal. Both my 991s and 981 have done it since new. It is worse in cold weather but still does it when it's hot.

Old 11-20-2014, 08:34 AM
TAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond reputeTAch Miami has a reputation beyond repute
I noticed I can hear the tires scrubbing more often with the 4-wheel steering when turning standing still or almost still.

Old 11-20-2014, 12:14 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by TAch Miami
I noticed I can hear the tires scrubbing more often with the 4-wheel steering when turning standing still or almost still.
ouch... turning the wheel while still.

Old 11-22-2014, 01:49 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
normal

Old 11-22-2014, 03:23 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
I'm getting the impression there's a lot of people on here that never search for a subject, they just post to a discussion that's been posted 100 times before.

Or is it me?

Old 11-22-2014, 03:48 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by does195
I'm getting the impression there's a lot of people on here that never search for a subject, they just post to a discussion that's been posted 100 times before.

Or is it me?
Amen, brother, Amen. I know people may think they don't have the time or whatever, but this isn't FacePuke or Tripper!!! The search function is very powerful and saves me a lot of time when I am looking to research a topic. If there is something genuinely unique about the OPs situation, fine. But most of the time it is the same thing over and over again!

Maybe we should have the MODS post a sticky Index or similar, with links to the most frequently posted topics? "Before you post start here" type of thing?

Oh, and let's BAN the relentless wheel posts from vendors and put them where they belong, in the classifieds! I get it, free market, democracy and all that, guerilla marketing, etc. But posting every two days "bump" to remind everyone that you can satisfy their every whim or need is so useless to those of us who come here to share experience, how-to's, ask questions, and generally share knowledge!

Ok, flame suit on, jumping down off my soap-box now!

Old 11-25-2014, 06:48 AM
sapphireblue is on a distinguished road
Didn't happen to me until the weather turned cold.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Fully turned steering wheel making weird noise with the tires