Dedicated Track Wheel - Suggestions?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2014, 08:50 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Dedicated Track Wheel - Suggestions?

I am thinking about buying a set of dedicated track DOT tires and wheels for the spring. Would love to have some input from more knowledgeable members about wheels.
The criteria that will drive my purchase decision are as follows:

1. Planning on 10 - 12 track days per season plus some AX in between
2. Cost - Can't justify (or afford) large dollars for monoblocks.
3. Durability and safety - Should be track ready, not an enhanced street wheel.
4. Not concerned about looks as these wheels will be used at events only.

Thanks

Old 11-21-2014, 12:05 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I got 19" BBS CHR's for my track wheels. Very pleased with them.

Old 11-21-2014, 12:23 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
In my opinion the best all around track wheel considering aesthetics, price, durability, are the OZ wheels. If price is no concern, the obvious choice is HRE

Old 11-21-2014, 12:39 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
Both good suggestions above, but if price is a consideration what about a set of factory take offs? There has to be a few sets floating around cheap. The Carrera S wheels are produced by BBS for Porsche.

Old 11-21-2014, 01:06 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
Both good suggestions above, but if price is a consideration what about a set of factory take offs? There has to be a few sets floating around cheap. The Carrera S wheels are produced by BBS for Porsche.
The Porsche Panarama magazine (a couple of issues) back had a great article on wheels, construction and the track. One takeaway was that Porsche OEM wheels are not track wheels. Metal fatigue from street (pothole) and track use can be a very deadly combination. Since there is no way to measure wheel fatigue, I thought it best to purchase a dedicated wheel that is made to withstand the rigors of the track without being subjected to potholes on a regular basis. If most of my driving was not in the Northeast, I might not be as concerned.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:17 PM
Grunty will become famous soon enough
For a track set, would you use stickier tires like Corsas as opposed to Zeroes?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:19 PM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Grunty

The Dunlop Sport Maxx race tires are really good as well, very similar to the pilot sport cups.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:29 PM
Originally Posted by Grunty
I don't like the Zero's on the track. The Corsas have not been given great reviews. The Zeros are okay until they go hot, then they are like grease. I am planning on going with the Michelin Sport Cup 2's or the Sport Cup "N". I have not gotten that far in the decision process.

Old 11-21-2014, 02:30 PM
Originally Posted by White Rock
The Dunlop Sport Maxx race tires are really good as well, very similar to the pilot sport cups.
Are these DOT?

Old 11-21-2014, 02:47 PM
Originally Posted by 991carreradriver
Are these DOT?

They sure are. They call them, streetable track tires.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....ndard%20Brakes

Old 11-22-2014, 08:20 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
I'm very happy with the 888's mounted on 997.1 NB Carrera Classics (19"). No need for spacers. I'm on my second set of 888's and they've done me right. Have driven to the track on them multiple times with no issues, including in the rain.

Old 11-22-2014, 10:32 AM
Originally Posted by KonaKai
I'm very happy with the 888's mounted on 997.1 NB Carrera Classics (19"). No need for spacers. I'm on my second set of 888's and they've done me right. Have driven to the track on them multiple times with no issues, including in the rain.
Track friends love these tires. Hard to beat their price.

Frank C.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:31 AM