Sports Exhaust for Base Model

Old 11-22-2014, 01:47 PM
MKW
MKW is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Seems like there are a couple after market exhausts with valves for the base that would not change the fender mufflers so they might not be as loud or drone. Some have wireless actuation available and they are cheaper than adding PSE to your base.

ChuckJ
drone control is more a problem with any rear or mid engined car since the distance from the exhaust manifold to the exhaust tip is a lot shorter than with a front engined car , thats a reason why the cut open std exhaust cans of Boxsters and 911s reveal a length -adding tortuous exhaust path inside, to help reduce the native drone at 2200-2800 rpm besides usual muffler role of sound level attenuation .. the PSE shortens the exhaust path when internal bypass activated and aftermarket systems may do this even more , esp full center can or side can bypass pipes which are straight thru

Last edited by MKW; 11-22-2014 at 01:51 PM.
Old 11-22-2014, 04:03 PM
scatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond reputescatkins has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STG991
As stated, best thing is to try it out. Everyone has different tastes. If using it for a daily driver, I could see times you wouldn't always want it on for some people. It's great to be able to turn it on/off with a button.

I wish I could make it stay on all the time... I don't always use sport (which of course turns on pse) but for sure pse is the first button I hit after start..

Old 11-22-2014, 08:42 PM
Airportrat has a spectacular aura aboutAirportrat has a spectacular aura about
The advice has been great. The reason why I ask the question is that I have a gift certificate from the dealer, and besides more hats, I would like to add the exhaust through Porsche.

Old 11-23-2014, 05:58 AM
nash667 has a spectacular aura aboutnash667 has a spectacular aura about
Adding PSE to my base was like buying a new car, its money well spent.

Old 11-23-2014, 08:51 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by nash667
Adding PSE to my base was like buying a new car, its money well spent.
Yep, like $5K, right?

ChuckJ

Old 11-23-2014, 11:06 AM
nash667 has a spectacular aura aboutnash667 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Yep, like $5K, right?

ChuckJ
I paid 3.5k, but even 5k is worth the change in personality!

Old 11-23-2014, 01:54 PM
Squires9914s is on a distinguished road
All 991's have three mufflers. Center and one one each side behind rear wheels.

For standard exhaust:

For the S model, the two side ones are different than the base model.

For Sport exhaust:

For Sport Exhaust, only the center muffler gets switched out on the S model, but all 3 get switched out on the base 991.

The PSE opens up and is "on" after a certain RPM anyway whether button is on/off. Only at lower RPM's and normal driving are the dampers closed in the button "off" position.

In the button "on" position the exhaust dampers are open at all driving speeds and louder.

Back to the question, the sport exhaust is probably a little louder than the base even in the "off" mode at low speeds because they are different mufflers. Not by much I assume.

Dose PSE come with all three mufflers if we buy from Suncoast? its show two different prices on their site . Does it come with tips too?

Anyone has PSE + Sharkwerks muffler delete pipes? I would like to know the different.

Old 11-23-2014, 02:13 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squires9914s
Dose PSE come with all three mufflers if we buy from Suncoast? its show two different prices on their site . Does it come with tips too? Anyone has PSE + Sharkwerks muffler delete pipes? I would like to know the different.
If you have an S, you get just the center muffler. The base Carrera get all three. Hence the price differences.

Both options include tips and a button. A complete kit.

Old 11-24-2014, 05:13 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by scatkins
I wish I could make it stay on all the time... I don't always use sport (which of course turns on pse) but for sure pse is the first button I hit after start..
Well, you could just disconnect the vacuum line to the valve, cap the line, and you would then have an "on" condition 24/7.....

Takes all of about 10 minutes, maybe even less if you have a lift (the line connection to the valve on the exhaust is a bit difficult to reach but you can do so from under the car.) Just pull it off the stem. If you don't cap the vacuum line, no biggie but you will start receiving a "Coolant System Error" of some sort not long after -- ask me how I know -

Old 11-24-2014, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
If you want a tamer alternative to a full blown aftermarket setup, the PSE is a nice way to go. You get snaps, crackles and pops from the system too - any modifications done the exhaust on the 991 is a welcome addition!

Old 11-25-2014, 04:50 PM
Squires9914s is on a distinguished road
If you have an S, you get just the center muffler. The base Carrera get all three. Hence the price differences.

Both options include tips and a button. A complete kit.
I just got fabspeed supersport and header installed it's super too loud for daily drive ..now I'm thinking to get the PSE ..

Old 11-25-2014, 04:52 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Squires9914s
I just got fabspeed supersport and header installed it's super too loud for daily drive ..now I'm thinking to get the PSE ..
Gotcha. I know a lot of the aftermarket ones are too loud for some including myself. The PSE is perfect for me.

Not a Fabspeed fan here.

Last edited by STG991; 11-25-2014 at 04:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2014, 10:52 PM
wanderfalke will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by scatkins
You are saying that driving in sport mode activates the pse through out the entire rpm range...