Chip on wheel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-23-2014, 06:09 PM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
Chip on wheel

Any advice guys? Was going to use a regular wheel repair guy. Any good experiences/people you've used in the LA area? Definitely a stone chip. Bad location though, right at the edge of the polished and painted section of the Carrera Classic wheels.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	Photo Nov 23, 11 08 09 AM.jpg
Views:	254
Size:	1.07 MB
ID:	408313  
Old 11-24-2014, 03:50 AM
keeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond reputekeeperofbeasts has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by shaytun
Any advice guys? Was going to use a regular wheel repair guy. Any good experiences/people you've used in the LA area? Definitely a stone chip. Bad location though, right at the edge of the polished and painted section of the Carrera Classic wheels.

leave it as is - not worth damaging the original finish

Old 11-24-2014, 07:03 AM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I would DIY fix the chip. Go to a hobby or art supply store and get a 00 size brush. Get a tiny bottle of touch up to match the inside and/or outside color of the wheel. Testors model paint has practically dead on matches for every wheel I have touched up. Also get some Testors clear coat.

Lay in the paint to fill in the chip. It could take 2-4 applications to bring it to level. Seal it with the clear coat. If the chip or gouge is rough edged simply smooth with sandpaper. For curb damage I start with flexible cuticle files then follow with sandpaper.

Only with severe curb damage would I consider taking the wheel to a refinisher. I try to maintain the OEM finish as long as possible.

Old 11-24-2014, 07:31 AM
dogshyne is on a distinguished road
I can't agree more with the above comments. if you take it into a refinisher, even if it comes back looking good, the process they use (blending clear coats, etc.) will leave you regretful in the long run.

I would just put a little touchup on there and you will be the only person that ever knows this happened.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:07 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
The chip looks almost exactly what happened to me. I used bondo to fill the chip, sanded it smooth and then painted. Like dogshyne says, the only one who knows there was ever a chip there is me.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:52 AM
Thanks for the advice guys. You're probably right and I wouldn't be surprised if it happens again. I've learned not to sweat the small stuff so much.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:59 AM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Wait till you get more chips first. One little nick isn't much unless you are going 'show' it. Besides, girls like scars!

Old 11-24-2014, 06:56 PM
does195 is on a distinguished road
When my dealer did a tire swap, a small chip appeared from the previous wheel weight. A local body shop matched the paint as it's not available from Porsche. Perfect match.

Old 11-24-2014, 08:48 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
Originally Posted by Chupacabra
Wait till you get more chips first.
If I could add, I would fix the chip now. You want to seal the chip now to stop moisture and contaminants from getting under the chipped clear coat...which it will...and then it will start to delaminate and get worse.

Old 11-25-2014, 04:49 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Ouch! Yes, I'd do the same. Seal it up, touch up and use it.

Old 11-25-2014, 08:26 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
Definitely do a touch up to seal the paint and finish now. I would be reluctant to take the wheel to be refinished as most of these refinishers don't seem to grasp the concept of finishing the wheel like factory. I have seen them come back from "reputable refinishers" where the front of the wheel looks OK but when they clear the finish they cleared right over dirt and dust and especially on the back of the wheel - yes I clean my barrels when I clean my car. So just a thought. Good luck and don't sweat the small stuff.

Old 11-28-2014, 03:39 PM
This was the best I could do. Used Testors paint. Mixed gunmetal metallic with flat gray and applied approx 4 coats. Then used spray clear coat. Sprayed it into a cup and used a brush to apply. I couldn't find a clear coat to brush on initially so I improvised. Not perfect but I'll get over it. First time I'm looking forward to brake dust haha. Should blend in more. Thanks for al the advice.

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3483925815.jpg
Views:	148
Size:	473.6 KB
ID:	408762  

Last edited by shaytun; 11-28-2014 at 06:51 PM. Reason: grammar error
Old 11-29-2014, 06:33 AM
AllForTheCash will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by keeperofbeasts
leave it as is - not worth damaging the original finish
Leave it, its "nothing"...Your touch up looks good tho.