Introducing the solution for 991 wind buffeting noise: The AWE Tuning Foiler™ Wind Di

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2014, 04:39 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by BradB
I just checked and my (December 2013 build) 2014 C2S does have an exposed bolt head.
So, this just points to variations between the line.... My C4S is a June '13 build. Wonder if it is a diff between C2 and C4, rather than MY? Other possibility is that there was a change to exposed bolt design later in the '13 build year.

Anyways - for the price I doubt this is a mod I will be making, regardless of whether I would have to take the door panel off or not. I do have to say though that the install instructions provided by AWE are quite good considering what I've seen from most vendors.... great detail with photos provided for each step in the process to remove the interior panel.

Old 12-03-2014, 09:56 AM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
It is also NOT exposed in my '13 C4S coupe with a November '12 build date.

Old 12-03-2014, 01:06 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
Hi all, quick follow up on the topic of installation time.

If you do see the now famous “bolt” when you remove the triangle trim, installation should take under 5 minutes per side.The instructions should get you there no problem, but if there are any issues as you go, don’t hesitate to reach out (performance@AWE-Tuning.com or 888-565-2257).

See page 2, figure 2. http://www.awe-tuning.com/media/pdf/..._deflector.pdf

If you don’t see the the bolt, the installation will take you roughly 20 minutes per side, and that includes removing the door trim, and everything else.

We engineered this part to install just like the factory part (no double stick tape, etc.) and even in the worst case scenario this is still truly a DIY - designed for simplicity. Hope that helps! Here for other questions...

Old 12-04-2014, 03:17 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
I have a 2012 and a little nervous that I am going to have to do all of this. I bought it before seeing that it could be more complicated.

Just curious. If I do not have the exposed bold, can you drill a hole to expose it? Then not have to remove the interior panel.
Marc

Old 12-04-2014, 07:46 PM
jsr991 is on a distinguished road
Anyone successfully installed these? Do they work?

Old 12-05-2014, 05:49 AM
991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by jsr991
Anyone successfully installed these? Do they work?
I'm going to install mine today will let you know

Old 12-05-2014, 06:47 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 991C4s
I'm going to install mine today will let you know
So, didn't cancel your order? Honestly, I don't think the procedure to remove the inner door panel is really that risky or hard -- just take your time. I've had nearly all the interior trim pieces off in my '14 and totally doable by the "novice". Just word of advice is to use nylon trim removal tools, and take your time! You don't want to break-off or lose any of the smaller tabs or pins that hold everything into place. And definitely follow the instructions for disconnecting the battery which renders the airbag triggers inactive. I haven't done so myself, but I've done this a bunch of times.... you don't want a face full of trim because you happened to trigger the airbag!

Good luck! And take some pics! Thanks!

Old 12-05-2014, 12:31 PM
998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of998M has much to be proud of
Were the foils supposed to come with the nylon trim removal tool? Mine did not.

Marc

Old 12-05-2014, 01:56 PM
991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold991C4s is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by 998M

Marc
Not included but you can buy a set at any auto parts for about 10 bucks

Old 12-05-2014, 07:48 PM
brianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond reputebrianja has a reputation beyond repute
Just curious. If I do not have the exposed bold, can you drill a hole to expose it? Then not have to remove the interior panel.
Marc
I had the same initial question, but looking at the instructions it appears that that won't work.

The kit looks to come with two "adapter" styles of a sort. One is straight and one is bent.

The instructions seem to show that if you have the exposed screw you use the bent ones and if your screw is hidden then you use the straight one.

I suspect that this is done so that AWE can make one version of the foiler that works for all cars, instead of two completely different parts for the different conditions.

AWE - Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

Old 12-06-2014, 03:46 PM
TRM
TRM will become famous soon enoughTRM will become famous soon enough
Just finished the install of these. Some notes for those of you about to do it, or thinking of getting them.

1. Very easy install. Way easier to remove the doors on a the 991 than a 993 for example. Once I got to the second door it literally took me 2 minutes to remove safely. Just don't lose the little self tapping screws that come with the kit. I dropped one. Couldn't find it, and then had to fabricate one from something I had in my garage - PITA! But my fault too.

2. You can shorten the time considerably by not totally disconnecting the door panel from the handle cable. I let mine carefully hang. Alternatively you could prop them up with a small stool or bucket.

3. It was a tad difficult to get the foiler to properly grab onto the upper tang when installing. I was careful and took my time. Just be patient. One trick you can try that worked for me was to install without the lower clip and screw so you get a sense for how the upper tang engages the foiler and how much pressure you need to apply to seat it properly.

Once you do that, put the clip and screw back on and try again. Once I got to the second door I didn't need to do this trick and I was able to slip it right on the first time.

4. CAUTION: The most important part of this install IMO is when you are screwing the T20 self tapping Torx screw back into the panel and into the clip on the foiler. If you over-torque you might strip it. Just get it snug.

They look sharp! Excellent quality CF IMO. Worth the $$$ now that I see them and what they look like on the car.

Thanks for the sticker and lollipop guys!

Old 12-06-2014, 05:19 PM
Originally Posted by TRM
Just finished the install of these.
Looks great! Good job and much thanks for the tips / write-up on the install!

Old 12-07-2014, 12:15 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Great write-up!

ChuckJ

Old 12-07-2014, 08:33 PM
Former Vendor
Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !Josh/AWE Is a GOD !
I have a 2012 and a little nervous that I am going to have to do all of this. I bought it before seeing that it could be more complicated.

Marc
No, you cannot drill a hole.

Marc
No, sorry.

Originally Posted by 991C4s
Not included but you can buy a set at any auto parts for about 10 bucks
Correct.

Originally Posted by brianja
I had the same initial question, but looking at the instructions it appears that that won't work.

The kit looks to come with two "adapter" styles of a sort. One is straight and one is bent.

The instructions seem to show that if you have the exposed screw you use the bent ones and if your screw is hidden then you use the straight one.

I suspect that this is done so that AWE can make one version of the foiler that works for all cars, instead of two completely different parts for the different conditions.

AWE - Please feel free to correct me if I am wrong.
Correct, we created it this way so it would fit all 991's

Originally Posted by TRM
Just finished the install of these. Some notes for those of you about to do it, or thinking of getting them.

1. Very easy install. Way easier to remove the doors on a the 991 than a 993 for example. Once I got to the second door it literally took me 2 minutes to remove safely. Just don't lose the little self tapping screws that come with the kit. I dropped one. Couldn't find it, and then had to fabricate one from something I had in my garage - PITA! But my fault too.

2. You can shorten the time considerably by not totally disconnecting the door panel from the handle cable. I let mine carefully hang. Alternatively you could prop them up with a small stool or bucket.

3. It was a tad difficult to get the foiler to properly grab onto the upper tang when installing. I was careful and took my time. Just be patient. One trick you can try that worked for me was to install without the lower clip and screw so you get a sense for how the upper tang engages the foiler and how much pressure you need to apply to seat it properly.

Once you do that, put the clip and screw back on and try again. Once I got to the second door I didn't need to do this trick and I was able to slip it right on the first time.

4. CAUTION: The most important part of this install IMO is when you are screwing the T20 self tapping Torx screw back into the panel and into the clip on the foiler. If you over-torque you might strip it. Just get it snug.

They look sharp! Excellent quality CF IMO. Worth the $$$ now that I see them and what they look like on the car.

Thanks for the sticker and lollipop guys!
Great write up! much appreciated.

Last edited by Josh/AWE; 12-08-2014 at 07:02 AM.
Old 12-08-2014, 08:54 AM
wch bos is a jewel in the roughwch bos is a jewel in the roughwch bos is a jewel in the roughwch bos is a jewel in the rough
Has anyone tried these at speed to see how well they work?

Also any chance of having the option to have a OEM colored version rather than CF?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Introducing the solution for 991 wind buffeting noise: The AWE Tuning Foiler™ Wind Di