991 DIY: Black Headlamp Upgrade

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Plenum- yes, the control modules! Thanks.

The new light kit I bought did not come with them. Had the use existing ones.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 AM
77Tony is on a distinguished road
I failed to mention that we did swap the modules back to each other so we have our originals. John from Wheel Enhancement was helping the other guy out and mentioned to me that most swaps do need to be reprogrammed with the PIWIS. T

Old 01-27-2015, 11:59 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by 77Tony
I failed to mention that we did swap the modules back to each other so we have our originals. John from Wheel Enhancement was helping the other guy out and mentioned to me that most swaps do need to be reprogrammed with the PIWIS. T
Sorry, keep coming back to this... I am confused?

If you have the "original" control modules, and you put them back on the swapped headlamp assemblies, you are saying that you still need programming?

Old 01-27-2015, 12:07 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by plenum
Sorry, keep coming back to this... I am confused? If you have the "original" control modules, and you put them back on the swapped headlamp assemblies, you are saying that you still need programming?
If you swap the modules you're just swapping an empty headlamp shell. I'm confused why there would be an issue as well.

We're both headlights optioned the same Tony?

Old 01-27-2015, 03:36 PM
Sent my Bi-Xenon headlights in black incl. PDLS (with controllers) to LA. LA shipped his Bi-Xenon headlights in silver incl. PDLS (and controllers) to TX. Both sets of headlights were originally installed with there original controllers and both produced error code: "headlight beam adjust. defective". We then shipped our original controllers to each other (not the headlights) and again both cars produced error code: "headlight beam adjust. defective" John of Wheel Enhancement was helping out the guy on the other end and said to me that many times you will need to bring car to Porsche dealer and have them put there PIWIS tool to use after a swap. T

Last edited by 77Tony; 01-30-2015 at 05:41 PM.
Old 01-27-2015, 04:37 PM
Originally Posted by 77Tony
Sent my Bi-Xenon headlights in black incl. PDLS (with controllers) to LA. LA shipped his Bi-Xenon headlights in silver incl. PDLS (and controllers) to TX. Both sets of headlights were originally installed with there original controllers and both produced error code: "headlight beam adjust. defective". We then shipped our original controllers to each other (not the headlights) and again both cars produced error code: "headlight beam adjust. defective" John of Wheel Enhancement was helping out the guy on the other end and said to me that many times you will need to bring car to Porsche dealer and have them put there PWIS tool to use after a swap. T
Huh. Seeing different model cars. Yours is the 50th., and maybe model years, could make sense. Oh well, at least there's a fix.

Old 01-30-2015, 05:53 PM
Does anyone know if I have to have lights reset with the specific Porsche PIWIS diagnostic tool or can and independent shop OBD II port diagnostic tool reset and rid my car of the "headlight beam adjust. defective" error ? Trying to save myself a 6 hour roundtrip to nearest Porsche dealer. TIA T

Last edited by 77Tony; 01-30-2015 at 05:55 PM.
Old 02-04-2015, 06:36 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Definitely noticeable upgrade, especially on the silver - great job!!!

Old 10-22-2016, 10:44 AM
siliconCarbide is on a distinguished road
Plenum- Thanks for this writeup, this was very helpful! D

Do you know if the headlight kits direct from the German market will be compatible with US cars? I ordered a set from a European distributor, selected LHD and bi-xenon with PDLS (matching my spec) for the options. The sales guy said it shouldn't be a problem assuming I will transfer my existing ballasts, bulbs, and beam controller over to the new housings, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

Old 10-22-2016, 12:44 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by siliconCarbide
Plenum- Thanks for this writeup, this was very helpful! D

Do you know if the headlight kits direct from the German market will be compatible with US cars? I ordered a set from a European distributor, selected LHD and bi-xenon with PDLS (matching my spec) for the options. The sales guy said it shouldn't be a problem assuming I will transfer my existing ballasts, bulbs, and beam controller over to the new housings, but I just wanted to be sure. Thanks.
Thank you siliconCarbide! Happy to provide info that helps the community!

Not sure what you mean by "German market" but assuming the headlamps are OEM PAG then there shouldn't be any issue whatsoever. As far as I know there aren't any physical differences between L-and RHD vehicle headlamps. Perhaps there is coding via PIWIS that should be updated to somehow compensate for the difference, but doubt you'll have any physical issues with any OEM. And yes, your sales-guy is correct in that you transfer all of the existing bits to the new headlamp assembly.

Curious why you went with purchasing overseas when you can obtain from many sources here in NA for decent pricing... Did you buy used, or new OE?

(shameless plug... If you haven't already checked it out, I've got a ton of DIYs and other technical stuff up on my blog: Plenums 991 Blog)

Old 10-22-2016, 02:35 PM
siliconCarbide is on a distinguished road
Thank you siliconCarbide! Happy to provide info that helps the community!

Not sure what you mean by "German market" but assuming the headlamps are OEM PAG then there shouldn't be any issue whatsoever. As far as I know there aren't any physical differences between L-and RHD vehicle headlamps. Perhaps there is coding via PIWIS that should be updated to somehow compensate for the difference, but doubt you'll have any physical issues with any OEM. And yes, your sales-guy is correct in that you transfer all of the existing bits to the new headlamp assembly.

Curious why you went with purchasing overseas when you can obtain from many sources here in NA for decent pricing... Did you buy used, or new OE?

(shameless plug... If you haven't already checked it out, I've got a ton of DIYs and other technical stuff up on my blog: Plenums 991 Blog)
Thanks! Yes I noticed your Nav-TV backup solution as well, which may be my next project. Thanks for giving so much to the community!

Regarding the lights, I feel a lot better given your comments. The lights are brand new - I went with a seller in the UK, mainly because with the GBP being very weak right now seemed like a pretty good deal. The salesman said it would ship direct from Germany because I selected LHD (vice RHD), hence my comment on the "German market". I came from Audi, and the German versions were very different from the US even though both were LHD. After I did a headlight swap, further coding was needed through VCDS. Based on what I'm seeing so far, this shouldn't be the case. Fingers crossed it is plug-n-play!!

Old 11-26-2016, 04:01 PM
ucsbwsr has a spectacular aura aboutucsbwsr has a spectacular aura about
Plenum,

I am trying to collect some info on the 991 headlights, do you still have your old housings? If so, would you mind removing the rear cap and taking some pictures of the projector (what is visible).

Also, have you taken any output photos? If not, would you be willing to snap some at your convenience, I attached a few examples below.

Thanks for any insight,
Evan

Old 09-08-2017, 09:50 PM
arabiedds is an unknown quantity at this point
Left light stuck

Thank you so much for the great right up.

The left headlight is stuck not moving it does a popping sound and doesn’t move. Right one came out with no problem. Seems that the holding bar is not latching. Any advise

Old 11-03-2017, 09:51 PM
bright_medal is an unknown quantity at this point
Hello Everyone,

I want to know if Dynamic Cornering can be retrofitted via dealer programming so my new to me black headlight housings will work?

I have a 2012.5 C2S with a pretty basic build that I purchased CPO. They're Xenon, and it did not come with PDLS.

I bought a set of black headlights on eBay with the goal of changing the look. They came with the housing, both control modules, and the light bulbs as a complete set. They came from a 2014 911.

When I tried swapping the lights today, I ran into trouble:

1) First I tried just swapping the whole units by just unplugging mine, and plugging in the new lights. They went in fine, turned on, but had an error message.

2) Next, I swapped the two control modules, left the bulb that the new assembly came with, and plugged in the headlight. The light turned on with no problems, and no error message. It seemed like the problem was solved, BUT:

Problem: I noticed as I was wrapping up the install that the driver's side headlight seemed to be pointing off to the left. This is when I realized that the new unit must have the dynamic cornering feature.

Question: Can my car be upgraded through coding, etc. to support the dynamic cornering feature?

Any other suggestions on what I can do if I'd like to use these new headlights? I tried searching the forums and vaguely remember someone having a similar problem, but couldn't find the thread and don't recall if they found a solution.

Thanks for your help!

Here are pictures and part numbers for the two assemblies and control units:

Black setup (right side):
Light assembly: 991.631.998.01
Control unit: 991.618.321.17
Second unit: 991.618.323.03

Silver original setup (right side):
Light assembly: 991.631.126.04
Control unit: 991.618.327.04
Second unit: 991.618.323.03 (identical to the black setup)

Black housing pic

Silver housing pic

Last edited by bright_medal; 11-03-2017 at 09:53 PM.
Old 05-25-2018, 07:25 AM
Marco Moran is an unknown quantity at this point
Hey bright_medal

what was the outcome of your issue?
did you fix it?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 DIY: Black Headlamp Upgrade