The new 991 GT3 RS Unveiled

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2014, 11:59 AM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Exclamation The new 991 GT3 RS Unveiled

Originally Posted by CarScoops
The ultimate Porsche 911 is back wearing the famed GT3 RS moniker, with our spies nabbing a group of prototypes testing on the snow.

It's the hardest and most track-focused modern 911 yet, with significant changes over the already hard and fast 468hp (475PS) 991 GT3 starting with a more potent engine producing at least 500hp, which will make it the most powerful (street-legal) naturally-aspirated flat-six produced by Porsche to date.

That's less than the 911 Turbo S' 552hp (560PS), but more than the previous-gen 493hp 4.0-litre 911 GT3 RS 4.0. If anything, it will be faster than the current GT3 that runs to 100km/h (62mph) in 3.5 seconds, and of course, more expensive as well (in the U.S., the 911 GT3 starts at $130,400, and in Germany from €137,303).

If you were hoping for the return of a manual gearbox, the news isn't good, as according to sources, a seven-speed PDK paddle-shift box will be the only transmission on offer, albeit tweaked for the RS

Porsche will refine the GT3's suspension, steering, brakes and wheels, while also trimming down the weight and improving aerodynamics. Almost every body-panel is new, from the double-bubble roof and the wider and vented front and rear fenders, to the bonnet with a deep center groove, the reworked bumpers and massive rear wing.

In keeping with the street-legal racing theme, the RS will get an appropriately equipped interior with special bucket seats and a different décor.

The new GT3 RS will come into the light next year.

Last edited by hawc; 12-11-2014 at 12:31 PM.
Old 12-11-2014, 12:16 PM
bumpinjeep is on a distinguished road
Ugh, they're driving through heavy snow, so does that mean it will be AWD? I would hate to see that.

Old 12-11-2014, 12:34 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Hard to tell if the front wheels are kicking up snow or not. I doubt it's AWD, (would add weight) but who knows.

Old 12-11-2014, 04:32 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Does anyone know if the standard cars load up with ice like that?

ChuckJ

Old 12-11-2014, 07:34 PM
Vise is on a distinguished road
Not sure if spy shots would qualify as 'Unveiled!' but that is just me...

There have been a few other batches of GT3 RS spy shots out there recently but these are certainly the best...

Old 12-11-2014, 09:17 PM
PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !PMNewton Is a GOD !
Want

Those

Fenders...

Old 12-11-2014, 10:27 PM
jnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to alljnscolo is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ChuckJ

ChuckJ
If you refer to the ice platform hanging off the right side, I didn't get that driving mine in the snow last winter.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:29 AM
sportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the roughsportscentury is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Vise
Not sure if spy shots would qualify as 'Unveiled!' but that is just me...

There have been a few other batches of GT3 RS spy shots out there recently but these are certainly the best...
Cool photos, but the thread title had me expecting a lot more, too.

Old 12-12-2014, 07:50 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ChuckJ

ChuckJ
Hey Chuck- I have a "standard" '14 C4S and drove it a bunch in the snow up here in PA last winter.... Notice my avatar?

I did get some loading, mostly in the rear arches behind the wheel in the space where the mufflers are located. That area is not enclosed at all, and the curve of the rear bumper cover coming down under the car acts like a shovel! Everything that the tires throw-up into that space gets stuck back there, especially the fine gravel they use on the roads around here everytime it snows! But I don't get hard-pack building up in the fronts anywhere near what those test mules are showing.....

Old 12-12-2014, 10:46 AM
ROD
ROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud ofROD has much to be proud of
Why does it have the Turbo side inlets?

Old 12-12-2014, 09:52 PM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
Am I the only that thinks this is the GT2....turbo intakes, the vents above the front wheel wells look similar to the the vents on the rear bumper of the 997 GT2

Old 12-13-2014, 03:59 PM
Hurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond reputeHurricane has a reputation beyond repute
I think I need a towel...

Old 12-13-2014, 04:55 PM
BlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud ofBlazinPond has much to be proud of
Maybe i'm missing something...
why would they test a bunch of GT3 RS's in the snow if they were not AWD?
I don't see the point.

Secondly,
Even if AWD, why test in the snow if it's intended for the track?
Still don't see the point.

Regardless, sweet looking car!

Old 12-13-2014, 05:21 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by BlazinPond
Maybe i'm missing something... why would they test a bunch of GT3 RS's in the snow if they were not AWD? I don't see the point. Secondly, Even if AWD, why test in the snow if it's intended for the track? Still don't see the point. Regardless, sweet looking car!
They test in all sorts of environments. Hot/cold high altitude, low altitude, etc..

They were testing in various parts of the U.S. A couple months ago. These cars are being tested ALOT!

Old 12-13-2014, 10:29 PM
Originally Posted by ROD
Why does it have the Turbo side inlets?
Extra cooling? I'm not sure to be honest.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: The new 991 GT3 RS Unveiled