991 in the Snow

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-18-2014, 08:30 AM
damon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond reputedamon@tirerack has a reputation beyond repute
911's have always been decent in the snow with a good set of tires on them. Don't park them - re-shoe and drive them!

**Don't forget to add my name to online orders!**

Or use this link:
http://www.tirerack.com/a.jsp?a=BH1&url=index.jsp
Old 12-18-2014, 02:53 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
All the snow in Toronto just melted. Making it nice and foooooogy.

Old 12-19-2014, 03:40 PM
dyim will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by plenum
I have had an issue opening a door during freezing rain once.... but no problems shutting a door. I guess you could get some ice bits stuck along the top edge of the window where it meets the rubber weather stripping, which might keep the window from seating properly upon close. But is that a big deal?

The bigger issue I have is that my windshield washer fluid reservoir keeps freezing, and then if I am driving in bad conditions can bring me to the side of the road! I've had the dealer change-out the fluid twice, and I've even added my own fluid mixture to prevent freezing. But it keeps happening. I think the placement of the fluid reservoir up close to the hood and near the windshield causes this. Not sure how there would be any warmth to this area at all.

Anyone else experience this in winter conditions?
That is an interesting problem with the washer fluid freezing. Did you try some -50*C fluid? Maybe that could help.

The issue that I have with the BMW window is that the window gets frozen to the door. When you open the door, the window can not go down that 1/2 to 1/4 inch automatically. When you close the door, the window glass stayed at that up position and the door cannot be closed properly where the glass stayed outside of the trim at the roof line. Just wondering if that is a problem with 991.

Old 12-19-2014, 09:28 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Angry

Originally Posted by dyim
The issue that I have with the BMW window is that the window gets frozen to the door. When you open the door, the window can not go down that 1/2 to 1/4 inch automatically. When you close the door, the window glass stayed at that up position and the door cannot be closed properly where the glass stayed outside of the trim at the roof line. Just wondering if that is a problem with 991.
This is a HUGE problem with the frameless window design on the 981/991 as it was on the 987/997 if you park your car outside in the winter as I do. Last year there were many days my window wouldn't go down when I opened the door (because of why you said) and wouldn't seal properly when I closed it. Each time I felt like I was damaging the seal around the door, but Porsche just shrugs their shoulders and says, yup that's unfortunately how it is.

You think they would have solved it with all the cold weather testing but nope.

Old 12-19-2014, 10:01 PM
John McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to beholdJohn McLane is a splendid one to behold
Michelin Alpin on 20s, C2s cabriolet (!).

So far so good as not a lot of snow so far in Chicagoland . Even without snow I wouldn't drive on summer tires around 32f...

Old 12-20-2014, 12:41 PM
Originally Posted by hawc
This is a HUGE problem with the frameless window design on the 981/991 as it was on the 987/997 if you park your car outside in the winter as I do. Last year there were many days my window wouldn't go down when I opened the door (because of why you said) and wouldn't seal properly when I closed it. Each time I felt like I was damaging the seal around the door, but Porsche just shrugs their shoulders and says, yup that's unfortunately how it is.

You think they would have solved it with all the cold weather testing but nope.
What I did when this happens is I try to push the glass in at the bottom to try to separate the frozen glass from the door. People talk about sliding a credit card in to separate the glass from the trim, which I think could damage the seal. The ghetto way that can fix this problem is to apply painter's tape along the door to minimize the amount of water that gets in. Works well but looks terrible.

The other option is to wait for the car to warm up enough so it'll start to melt. Or keep pressing the window switch to hopefully unstuck it(risking ruining the motor).

Last edited by dyim; 12-20-2014 at 12:44 PM.
Old 12-20-2014, 02:19 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
What I did when this happens is I try to push the glass in at the bottom to try to separate the frozen glass from the door. People talk about sliding a credit card in to separate the glass from the trim, which I think could damage the seal. The ghetto way that can fix this problem is to apply painter's tape along the door to minimize the amount of water that gets in. Works well but looks terrible.

The other option is to wait for the car to warm up enough so it'll start to melt. Or keep pressing the window switch to hopefully unstuck it(risking ruining the motor).
Or, get yourself a can of de-icing spray from Home Depot. Just spray the area (and any other ice on the window) and the ice melts away. I use this stuff on my wife's SUV all the time when she leaves it outside overnight. Clears the ice right off the windshield while waiting for the engine to warm-up. No scraping.

Old 12-21-2014, 09:06 PM
Originally Posted by plenum
Or, get yourself a can of de-icing spray from Home Depot. Just spray the area (and any other ice on the window) and the ice melts away. I use this stuff on my wife's SUV all the time when she leaves it outside overnight. Clears the ice right off the windshield while waiting for the engine to warm-up. No scraping.
Thx. Will look into that.

The only potential problem that I see is that when I first open the door, if the glass is frozen to the door, that can potentially still cause damage since I will be forcing the glass out of the trim at the roof line.

Last edited by dyim; 12-21-2014 at 09:09 PM.
Old 12-21-2014, 09:46 PM
The de-icing spray seems almost too easy. If that's the fix, I'm going to just buy a bunch of it and spray it on before I go.

I've also ready you can just push down with both hands on the top of the glass (carefully) about 1/4'' to unstick it.

Old 12-22-2014, 07:32 AM
The de-icing spray seems almost too easy. If that's the fix, I'm going to just buy a bunch of it and spray it on before I go.

I've also ready you can just push down with both hands on the top of the glass (carefully) about 1/4'' to unstick it.
I need to look into the ingredients of the spray. Don't want it to potentially ruin the trim or paint.

I would also be careful about pushing on the top edge of the glass and I will tell you why. The tail end of the passenger side glass on my car actually dropped in a bit on its own where it was hitting the triangle piece of glass behind it. This happened out of the blue and I found out while the car was parked at home. In desperation, I simply pulled up on it and it stayed there and it has hot happened since. So I think the glass could potentially be pushed off whatever is holding it if you pushed down on it.

What I was posting earlier was trying to push the glass IN at the door, not down from the top.

Last edited by dyim; 12-22-2014 at 07:39 AM.
Old 12-22-2014, 08:36 AM
I need to look into the ingredients of the spray. Don't want it to potentially ruin the trim or paint.
Most de-icer is basically 2 parts 70% isopropyl alcohol and 1 part water. You can make your own.

Old 12-22-2014, 10:42 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Most de-icer is basically 2 parts 70% isopropyl alcohol and 1 part water. You can make your own.
Yes you can.... But nothing beats boosting the economy like spending $2.79 for a can of spray! Lol