PDK Clunking shifting problem or Not?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-24-2015, 06:34 AM
addysdaddy has a spectacular aura aboutaddysdaddy has a spectacular aura about
My issue is somewhat different but it could also be referred to as clunky. When shifting upwards in the gear pattern, my 2014 C2S PDK has a lurching problem under hard acceleration (sport plus /manual mode). If the shift point is under 7k, it's not there but without fail there 's a "skipping" sensation if your transitioning from say 2nd-3rd and winding it out to 7k-8k. What's also interesting is if you leave the transmission in Sports Plus/Auto Mode, the car shifts perfectly. It's very obvious when compared to shifting in all other combinations. The transmission also shifts seamlessly in Sport Plus/Manual Mode if the shift point is something less than 6k rpms. But >=7k rpms it feels like ur "burning rubber" or that the brakes are "catching" a bit. Does not happen in Sport/Manual mode regardless of the shift point of driving mode.

I've spoken with my SA but he's not encountered the issue. If anyone has an idea of what to look for, that would help enormously.

Old 01-24-2015, 01:29 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by addysdaddy
My issue is somewhat different but it could also be referred to as clunky. When shifting upwards in the gear pattern, my 2014 C2S PDK has a lurching problem under hard acceleration (sport plus /manual mode). If the shift point is under 7k, it's not there but without fail there 's a "skipping" sensation if your transitioning from say 2nd-3rd and winding it out to 7k-8k. What's also interesting is if you leave the transmission in Sports Plus/Auto Mode, the car shifts perfectly. It's very obvious when compared to shifting in all other combinations. The transmission also shifts seamlessly in Sport Plus/Manual Mode if the shift point is something less than 6k rpms. But >=7k rpms it feels like ur "burning rubber" or that the brakes are "catching" a bit. Does not happen in Sport/Manual mode regardless of the shift point of driving mode. I've spoken with my SA but he's not encountered the issue. If anyone has an idea of what to look for, that would help enormously.
I have encountered the clunky hard shift in sport plus/auto at the limiter shift RPM. This occurs with the pedal floored from second to third until the shift RPM limit is reached around 7,000 RPM. I have also experienced under the same conditions from 3rd to 4th & 4th to 5th. I have not experienced in sport plus/manual as I track in auto. I just assumed it was due to high torque levels.

Frank C.

Old 01-24-2015, 07:42 PM
Interesting Frank, I haven't had any issues whatsoever in automatic - only when I switch to manual mode. Almost like things are not in sync.

Old 01-29-2015, 03:12 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by addysdaddy
My issue is somewhat different but it could also be referred to as clunky. When shifting upwards in the gear pattern, my 2014 C2S PDK has a lurching problem under hard acceleration (sport plus /manual mode). If the shift point is under 7k, it's not there but without fail there 's a "skipping" sensation if your transitioning from say 2nd-3rd and winding it out to 7k-8k. What's also interesting is if you leave the transmission in Sports Plus/Auto Mode, the car shifts perfectly. It's very obvious when compared to shifting in all other combinations. The transmission also shifts seamlessly in Sport Plus/Manual Mode if the shift point is something less than 6k rpms. But >=7k rpms it feels like ur "burning rubber" or that the brakes are "catching" a bit. Does not happen in Sport/Manual mode regardless of the shift point of driving mode.

I've spoken with my SA but he's not encountered the issue. If anyone has an idea of what to look for, that would help enormously.
I have the same problem, lurching/squatting sensation in SportPlus. But I have it both in Manual and in Auto modes. I hate it and therefor never use SportPlus !
Sorry to say I do not have a solution. Problem is that I don't know if this is "by design" or "normal" or not ?!

Old 01-29-2015, 05:05 AM
Try this. Sport Plus in auto mode but....manually change gears before the red line. If I take each gear out to 4k-6k rpms, it's all good and found I enjoy driving the car in this manner. If you don't shift early then Sport Plus will take each gear to the max rpm which is not practical for around town driving IME. I'm not mechanic but to me this seems like a software issue since it only happens at the upper ranges of the bandwidth. If it were mechanical I would think it would be clunky all the time.