GTS or GTS 4

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-10-2015, 12:19 AM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
GTS or GTS 4

Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker on these forums and have got some really useful advice on these forums. I'm finally now in a position to get the 991 of my dreams.

My original intent was to always get a 991 Turbo. However, due to the much greater cost and short roads we have in HK, it does not make a whole lot of practical and economical sense. Instead, I have shifted my focus to the new GTS variant. Before I was practically sold on the Carrera White metallic paint job with the Black/Garnet Red interior. It looks great on the GTS but the new Carmine Red exclusive to the GTS looks gorgeous. It looks better and meaner especially with the special GTS interior - red stitching with Alcantara.

I have customised several builds between the GTS and Carrera 4 GTS and a few dilemmas. i test drove a Carrera 4S a while back and it was nice. I have never drove a 991 Carrera S though. At that time before the GTS was available, I preferred it over the Carrera S was because of the wider rear end as well as the tail light. However, because the 2 GTS's have the same width rear end, it's just a matter of the tail light and I guess the extra 40kg of weight on the 4.

In each of the builds I have opted for
PASM Sports Suspension which lowers it by 20mm
Front and rear view camera
Glass sunroof

If I selected a GTS RWD I would add Burmester. If I opted for 4WD, I would stick to the Bose.

Things of that I'm unsure of are the following:
- I used to like the ducktail a lot. However, if I add this, it will cover up the black vents at the back which look great in my opinion. Without the duck, I think the 991 looks best with the spoiler down.
- Side skirts and rear apron painted. In some ways it completes the car, because there is a front spoiler already. However, without it, the black looks good too because the rims/headlights/exhaust are all black.

What do you guys think of Carmine Red in general? Would you prefer it over Carrera White on a GTS? Also, would you opt for a RWD or 4WD? Do you think the GTS looks good with a duck? How do you find alcantara in the interior over the bicolour black/red interior?

Old 01-10-2015, 05:54 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
You are going to get a great car either way. I am a Porsche 4wd fan. I have had 4 turbos in the past all 4wd and now the 9914S. I am a lover of the 4 stance and handling. But either choice will yield you a great car. Good luck.

Old 01-10-2015, 06:26 AM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Either one will be fantastic.

I owned a 997.1 C4S and a 997.2 C4S,.....now I drive a 2013 C2S and have a C2 GTS ordered. Why the change? I really enjoyed the "secure" feeling of the 4S in previous generations, they always felt a little more planted in all conditions IMO.

For the 991 I feel the C2 is more planted then anything in the 997 range. So for me there is no longer the need for the C4,....except that I love the wide body but don't really feel like paying for it now. If you will encounter bad weather, the C4 is still a great choice over a C2. The C4 is actually a bit faster around a track.

Since the GTS will be in wide body form, but can be ordered as a C2 I don't have any reasons to look at a C4 at this point in time.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:10 AM
the2thdr has a spectacular aura aboutthe2thdr has a spectacular aura about
Carmine red is gorgeous. Personally, I would couple it with the espresso/cognac interior...that would be an amazing combination.

Old 01-10-2015, 07:43 AM
Originally Posted by eddtiff
Hi all,

I've been a long time lurker on these forums and have got some really useful advice on these forums. I'm finally now in a position to get the 991 of my dreams.

My original intent was to always get a 991 Turbo. However, due to the much greater cost and short roads we have in HK, it does not make a whole lot of practical and economical sense. Instead, I have shifted my focus to the new GTS variant. Before I was practically sold on the Carrera White metallic paint job with the Black/Garnet Red interior. It looks great on the GTS but the new Carmine Red exclusive to the GTS looks gorgeous. It looks better and meaner especially with the special GTS interior - red stitching with Alcantara.

I have customised several builds between the GTS and Carrera 4 GTS and a few dilemmas. i test drove a Carrera 4S a while back and it was nice. I have never drove a 991 Carrera S though. At that time before the GTS was available, I preferred it over the Carrera S was because of the wider rear end as well as the tail light. However, because the 2 GTS's have the same width rear end, it's just a matter of the tail light and I guess the extra 40kg of weight on the 4.

Glass sunroof

If I selected a GTS RWD I would add Burmester. If I opted for 4WD, I would stick to the Bose.

- I used to like the ducktail a lot. However, if I add this, it will cover up the black vents at the back which look great in my opinion. Without the duck, I think the 991 looks best with the spoiler down.
- Side skirts and rear apron painted. In some ways it completes the car, because there is a front spoiler already. However, without it, the black looks good too because the rims/headlights/exhaust are all black.

What do you guys think of Carmine Red in general? Would you prefer it over Carrera White on a GTS? Also, would you opt for a RWD or 4WD? Do you think the GTS looks good with a duck? How do you find alcantara in the interior over the bicolour black/red interior?

My present C2S is Guards Red, I like it a lot, but Carmine is simply fantastic.
My second choice would have been White w/black&red interior, but in the end I went with Carmine and the GTS/Carmine Red interior package,....for some reason it just fits the GTS so well, it looks as special as the car does. The Alcantara interior is different and sporty, a nice change for me. I do really like white on a 991, but it has really become popular (in all versions) and I like to be a bit different. You don't see many red 991s,...most are white, silver or black.

I like the duck when I see it, but for me it would just grow old over time. The rear look of a CR GTS in stock form with the black grill will be phenomenal, one of the reason I truly love the GTS look as is. I did also order mine with the rear valance painted, it will stand out so nicely against the black chrome exhaust tips. I left the side skirts as-is as they kinda compliment the wheels, GTS script, etc.

Your choice 2S/4S,.....but Burmester is the bomb. My C2S has it and so will my GTS, I'm addicted with it now. Bose is not bad, but not near Burmester.

Tough choices!....good luck with yours....

Old 01-11-2015, 08:56 AM
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
My present C2S is Guards Red, I like it a lot, but Carmine is simply fantastic.
My second choice would have been White w/black&red interior, but in the end I went with Carmine and the GTS/Carmine Red interior package,....for some reason it just fits the GTS so well, it looks as special as the car does. The Alcantara interior is different and sporty, a nice change for me. I do really like white on a 991, but it has really become popular (in all versions) and I like to be a bit different. You don't see many red 991s,...most are white, silver or black.

I like the duck when I see it, but for me it would just grow old over time. The rear look of a CR GTS in stock form with the black grill will be phenomenal, one of the reason I truly love the GTS look as is. I did also order mine with the rear valance painted, it will stand out so nicely against the black chrome exhaust tips. I left the side skirts as-is as they kinda compliment the wheels, GTS script, etc.

Your choice 2S/4S,.....but Burmester is the bomb. My C2S has it and so will my GTS, I'm addicted with it now. Bose is not bad, but not near Burmester.

Tough choices!....good luck with yours....
The points you raised have virtually tipped me over to the RWD side. There's no snow or extreme weather here and since the rear ends are the same, I'll be paying the premium for the tail light essentially. With the Burmester, do you use an iPod, or do you use something like spotify?

You're also spot on with the colours. White is an extremely popular colour with the 991. Guards red on the other hand, is quite rare. Carmine Red, I have only see it in person 2 or 3 times on a Cayenne GTS here.

Appreciate your feedback.

Old 01-11-2015, 09:07 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
The tail light assembly can probably be added after purchase. It would most likely require replacing the rear bumper, but it can most likely be done.

Old 01-11-2015, 11:02 AM
The points you raised have virtually tipped me over to the RWD side. There's no snow or extreme weather here and since the rear ends are the same, I'll be paying the premium for the tail light essentially. With the Burmester, do you use an iPod, or do you use something like spotify?

You're also spot on with the colours. White is an extremely popular colour with the 991. Guards red on the other hand, is quite rare. Carmine Red, I have only see it in person 2 or 3 times on a Cayenne GTS here.

Appreciate your feedback.
For the Burmester I just use an iPod in the glove compartment,....it stays charged and always connected. Once in a while I actually take it out and add more too it!

If you don't have bad weather (or choose not to drive in it) that seriously takes away from the value of a 4S. The 4S is not strictly meant for foul weather and does have other slight advantages even in the dry, but you have to decide what is it worth to you. Around a track it will be a few seconds quicker, but on the street it may just equate to a heavier/pricier 991 with the rear light strip,.....up to you.

I've seen Carmine on a couple of Cayenne and Panamaras,...a dealer in the area just got in a CR GTS,...going to sneak an in person peak soon.

Old 01-11-2015, 02:26 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
I'd say if choosing between burmester and 4 and given you live in HK, go for GTS2. burmester/gts or base/gts4. Bose is just a brand name in 991 and not impressive at all. I connected my iPod and listened to base, Bose and burmester before making my decision to order burmester when ordering my car - you should do the same if not already.

Old 01-12-2015, 03:15 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Carmine Red gets a big thumbs up from me, and I say if weather is permitting go with the 2WD model!!!

Old 01-12-2015, 05:29 PM
Capsfan is on a distinguished road
GTS2 gets my vote in any color, I'm not into awd unless I'm 4 wheeling

Old 01-13-2015, 02:48 AM
Originally Posted by Fester
I'd say if choosing between burmester and 4 and given you live in HK, go for GTS2. burmester/gts or base/gts4. Bose is just a brand name in 991 and not impressive at all. I connected my iPod and listened to base, Bose and burmester before making my decision to order burmester when ordering my car - you should do the same if not already.
Yeah I've tried doing this, but every single car at the dealership is either base or bose. From what the sales have told me, not many people in HK order the Burmester because of the high cost. I can understand because the tax on options is quite ridiculous, 215%.

Old 01-19-2015, 02:58 PM
MagicRat has a spectacular aura aboutMagicRat has a spectacular aura about
Hi all,

Glass sunroof

I had/am having exactly the same debate as you between a 2 and a 4 GTS. Was lucky enough to spend 90 mins driving the two of them back to back at Silverstone on a very wet day and came away ordering the 2. Although the extra traction was nice, I just preferred the feeling of being shoved exclusively from behind (and the 2wd did not lack grip in any way). The instructor said I went the same speed in both cars (though this may have been because the 2 had PDCC + PDK and the 4 was no-PDCC and stick). The 4 also seemed to understeer a little, whereas in the 2 the back was doing the talking...

Regarding other options, I'm taking the ducktail because I'm actually more keen on the fat grilles of the standard rear than the GTS's fine ones, and the car going to be black. Black outside, black inside, white instrument dials, red seat belts. The red stitching looked cool but a little bit boy-racer for my tastes, and I worried the silver would start to look grubby quite quickly.

Have also gone for Burmester, and am still undecided on PDCC. Going back to Silverstone on Wednesday for my training half-day, and they're letting me compare a RWD car with it to one without it. Happy to report back if people would be interested...

Old 01-21-2015, 04:31 PM
///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold///M Kevin is a splendid one to behold
I have to go with a 2 in this area. There is just no need for 4 wheel drive and saving a little bit on weight and money are not bad ideas either.

Old 01-23-2015, 01:32 PM
Pez D. Spencer is on a distinguished road
If your going to listen to music, then absolutely Burmester. Bose is expensive for what you get The Burmester in my C4S compares well with my home stereo, McIntosh with B&W speakers. Nice flat response and good presence so you can hear everything clearly without having to be cranked up to blaring. You will love Carmine Red.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTS or GTS 4