Next Generation 911

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-15-2015, 03:16 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Yea, I think it's about a 2.9 second delay- to 60

ChuckJ
LOL, right on. The throttle is quite responsive in the TT (you move as soon as you push the throttle down), but there is a very slight delay as the turbos spool up, and then you take off like in a rocket ship. The acceleration can be pretty violent.

Old 01-15-2015, 06:58 PM
enzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond reputeenzom has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by sdaddy
Thanks for the heads up! Is the article clear that the the 991.2 will be a model year 2016 car? Any indication it might be pushed to MY 2017? I'm asking because MY 2016 cars should be starting production during the summer or fall of 2015... and that's not very far away.
Actually - My 2015 was being built in early June of 2014. It was delivered at the end of July.

Old 01-15-2015, 08:31 PM
Lostturbo has a spectacular aura aboutLostturbo has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by eg991
LOL, right on. The throttle is quite responsive in the TT (you move as soon as you push the throttle down), but there is a very slight delay as the turbos spool up, and then you take off like in a rocket ship. The acceleration can be pretty violent.
right on, right on, right on, .....

Old 01-15-2015, 09:37 PM
Samp will become famous soon enough
I have a c4s and a PTT. The PTT has a very small if at all lag then great power. The lag is just that it only excelerates better than 99% of everything else.

The c4s needs a lot more rpm but comes on really strong ... And the sound is awesome.

I have not done many turbos but the PTT is so great I wish I would have tried a CTT before buying my 911. Please don't tell my wife.

Old 01-17-2015, 07:56 AM
ahklein is on a distinguished road
While I love the torque of a turbo engine, they usually have much lower redlines than a naturally aspirated engine. I enjoy revving out my engine and listening to it behind me. I fear that this experience will be missed in the new car. However, this is the way of the car world! Progress!?

Old 01-17-2015, 08:48 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by ahklein
While I love the torque of a turbo engine, they usually have much lower redlines than a naturally aspirated engine. I enjoy revving out my engine and listening to it behind me. I fear that this experience will be missed in the new car. However, this is the way of the car world! Progress!?
Not progress, just government regulation compliance.

Old 01-17-2015, 12:36 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Turbo cars also tend to make the power (torque) down low in the rev range, while naturally aspirated cars tend to make the power (horsepower) up higher in the rev range. We all think we want that engine that screams towards the redline, but the way most of us drive in real life we want strong lowdown power with just the touch of the throttle. I don't mind turbo cars (I've had two) but I take issue with the reason behind making the entire 991 range turbo powered. It's to meet fuel economy standards, not to improve driving dynamics. If it were to improve driving performance Porsche would have done it long ago. It's being motivated by the wrong thing. Of course Porsche marketing will spin it as the natural evolution of the 911, but it's not something Porsche would have done if it weren't for regulations.

BTW, is it true every new BMW has a turbo engine these days?

Old 01-17-2015, 12:38 PM
hawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond reputehawc has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GS997S
Not progress, just government regulation compliance.
Exactly. Just wait till in another 10 years we can't buy a non-hybrid Porsche.

Old 01-17-2015, 02:05 PM
golfnutintib is on a distinguished road
No doubt FI cars are very powerful - the issue is the linearity of throttle response, as other posters have mentioned. The "wait a sec, then blast off" feeling is fun for the first month, then it gets old. Experienced performance drivers want CONTROL - that's where a linear throttle is key. For momentum management, throttle steer etc etc.

There is great potential in hybrids in terms of using the electric motor torque to generate a pulse of power just as a turbo spools up and delivers its boost -- thereby synthesizing a linear throttle from low engine revs -- so actually the future holds great promise as e-motors are more frequently mated with high boost turbo engines. Right now its only in super high end cars - Porsche 918, McLaren P1, new NSX (if they do it right). But there is great potential in this.

Last edited by golfnutintib; 01-17-2015 at 02:07 PM.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:33 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
The 991.1 will become the last high revving, non FI 911 (not including the GT3) and consequently will become a classic like the 993.

Old 01-17-2015, 03:49 PM
shaytun will become famous soon enoughshaytun will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by hawc
Turbo cars also tend to make the power (torque) down low in the rev range, while naturally aspirated cars tend to make the power (horsepower) up higher in the rev range. We all think we want that engine that screams towards the redline, but the way most of us drive in real life we want strong lowdown power with just the touch of the throttle. I don't mind turbo cars (I've had two) but I take issue with the reason behind making the entire 991 range turbo powered. It's to meet fuel economy standards, not to improve driving dynamics. If it were to improve driving performance Porsche would have done it long ago. It's being motivated by the wrong thing. Of course Porsche marketing will spin it as the natural evolution of the 911, but it's not something Porsche would have done if it weren't for regulations.

BTW, is it true every new BMW has a turbo engine these days?
The good new is that Porsche has been doing turbos for years. BMW's turbo engines have been notorious for problems. Check out BMW forums on the 650's and 750's. My only fear is the change in noise. The normally aspirated flat six with the PSE is a glorious experience aurally.

Old 01-17-2015, 06:59 PM
Originally Posted by tx11
The 991.1 will become the last high revving, non FI 911 (not including the GT3) and consequently will become a classic like the 993.
Excellent. So my 2014 991 3.4 shall soon be as valuable as 997.2 GT3 4.0.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:50 PM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by hawc
Excellent. So my 2014 991 3.4 shall soon be as valuable as 997.2 GT3 4.0.
You will have to wait 20 years.

Old 01-17-2015, 08:59 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
For as long as humans have roamed the earth, we have managed to invent the car and wanted to kill it off within 100 years.

The fear mongers will have us living in caves again in the next 100 years.

Unbelievable...

Old 01-18-2015, 08:31 AM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by ahklein
With the 991.2 they need to keep the redline pretty high or there will be revolt.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Next Generation 911