Sport Design steering wheel vs. Sun

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-27-2015, 11:06 AM
Pez D. Spencer is on a distinguished road
Sport Design steering wheel vs. Sun

So I drove my new C4S in the Sun yesterday. Whenever I was going south, toward the Sun, there was a reflection of the Sun off the aluminum trim on the Sport Design steering wheel. Because of the compound curves of this piece there is always an area of it that reflects in my eyes. Could not see any of the gauges without putting my arm over the alum. trim. Had to squint and/or block the reflection to see the road and oncoming traffic. Moving my head around to avoid it doesn't help again because of the shape. Beyond annoying, I'd say it is unsafe to the point of should not be legal. The Sun Visor is way too high to help. Is there a black, or at least non reflective replacement piece for this trim? Factory or aftermarket. For now I will put maybe some tape on it to mask it. Will have to either wrap it, paint it, or replace it. Good thing I'm in Seattle where the Sun doesn't come often.

Old 01-27-2015, 12:14 PM
I think its stainless steel, not alum.

Old 01-27-2015, 07:08 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I had the sport design in my 2009, found the same problem, and ordered the standard wheel. It solved the problem and also saved money.

ChuckJ

Old 01-27-2015, 07:14 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Now I have heard it all. "Unsafe and should not be legal"? Seriously? So this is how all those kind of lawsuits get started...lol

Get this, some masking tape, and you'll have it fixed in a jiffy.

Amazon.com: Performix 11203 Plasti Dip Black Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating Aerosol - 11 oz.: Automotive Amazon.com: Performix 11203 Plasti Dip Black Multi-Purpose Rubber Coating Aerosol - 11 oz.: Automotive

Old 01-27-2015, 10:04 PM
I am going to tape it as mentioned in my op. Hadn't thought of Plasti-Dip, used it on the chrome on my Mini, worked really well. Wonder if it would hold up to my hand rubbing on it fairly often. Same for having it wrapped. If possible, I'll have it powder coated. Sun bouncing off of it is blinding. BTW Home Depot and Ace have Plasti-Dip.

Old 01-27-2015, 10:58 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
You are very sensitive but everyone is different - I had zero issues and btw it's not metal but plastic only the gear shifters are metal.

Old 01-28-2015, 07:29 PM
Zelig is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I had the sport design in my 2009, found the same problem, and ordered the standard wheel. It solved the problem and also saved money.

ChuckJ
I ordered it because it was a lot less expensive if you get a heated wheel. Otherwise you need to get the multifunction model.

I like the look of the sport design better but lack of glare is an added plus.

Old 01-29-2015, 06:25 AM
TRM
TRM will become famous soon enoughTRM will become famous soon enough
Same reflection/glare from the sun when it's behind and to the right off of the trim piece above the glove box.

Old 01-29-2015, 11:11 PM
drmatara is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Pez D. Spencer
So I drove my new C4S in the Sun yesterday. Whenever I was going south, toward the Sun, there was a reflection of the Sun off the aluminum trim on the Sport Design steering wheel. Because of the compound curves of this piece there is always an area of it that reflects in my eyes. Could not see any of the gauges without putting my arm over the alum. trim. Had to squint and/or block the reflection to see the road and oncoming traffic. Moving my head around to avoid it doesn't help again because of the shape. Beyond annoying, I'd say it is unsafe to the point of should not be legal. The Sun Visor is way too high to help. Is there a black, or at least non reflective replacement piece for this trim? Factory or aftermarket. For now I will put maybe some tape on it to mask it. Will have to either wrap it, paint it, or replace it. Good thing I'm in Seattle where the Sun doesn't come often.
I will swap my standard black on from my 2015 Cab for yours if you're interested.