991 is history

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-10-2015, 10:47 AM
C4S991 is on a distinguished road

Old 02-10-2015, 10:55 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vise
Shocking news... member named 'HotHonda' flames Porsche on his way out the door to buy a Honda.
Don't think he was flaming Porsche at all - car was trouble free for him - he is flaming stealerships and exorbitant prices for service, which I think a lot of members here would agree with.

Old 02-10-2015, 12:10 PM
C4S991 is on a distinguished road
if you dont want to pay the price for oil changes, do it yourself. if you cant do it yourself, you have to pay. if you dont want to pay, dont by a porsche. im on my first one and have known for 20 years that maintenance is high.

i think op has nailed it. move to something that is less expensive to keep up.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:25 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
LOL, while the new NSX is a pretty cool looking car I very seriously doubt you will receive $39 oil changes for it and coupons in the mail,....that won't even cover the cost of the full synthetic oil I'm sure it's going to use.

In case you haven't noticed Acura as a car brand has basically sucked wind the last 10 to 15 years with very uninspired (i.e ugly) designs and very slow sales. Why?....maybe because they couldn't afford any real designers & engineers on $39 oil changes. They have to rely on Honda for just about everything and I'm betting the next 5 years may be the swan song for Acura. I can't even remember the last time I saw a new Acura on the road. If they don't make it now, Honda may quietly pull the plug. The new NSX is probably a last ditch effort to inject the brand with some sort of enthusiasm. I'm sure it will sell but I don't hold much hope for the brand itself, most have already written it off. Audi, BMW, Lexus & Infinity are so far ahead now.

If you want to play in the premium car arena and have any chance of survival with the strong competition, you can't do it on Honda service pricing models. The money for quality R&D has to come from somewhere and much of it comes from service revenue, not simply buying the car.

Good luck with the NSX, hopefully it will suit your needs better.

Old 02-10-2015, 01:50 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Rocket_boy
LOL, while the new NSX is a pretty cool looking car I very seriously doubt you will receive $39 oil changes for it and coupons in the mail,....that won't even cover the cost of the full synthetic oil I'm sure it's going to use.

If you want to play in the premium car arena and have any chance of survival with the strong competition, you can't do it on Honda service pricing models. The money for quality R&D has to come from somewhere and much of it comes from service revenue, not simply buying the car.

Good luck with the NSX, hopefully it will suit your needs better.
So, you are saying that the dealerships give the manufacturer a cut of the revenue the dealer's service department takes in?????

Old 02-10-2015, 01:51 PM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
There's nothing wrong with trying a new car. We've all been there or will be there in the future.

Obviously he's not losing money on a 911 and buying a NSX just to save a few oil change dollars. It would take quite a few oil changes to recoup that!

There are some valid points to be made about the dealer network, but that's a different subject.

The NSX looks like an interesting car. I'd be curious to see it in person myself.

Happy driving OP!

Old 02-10-2015, 01:54 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by HotHonda
Tired of $250 oil changes w/ nose in the air dealers who think just because one can spend $125K + - money doesn't matter anymore....now speaking with my wallet.

The car was good - the rest was frustrating. Felt dirty every time I interacted
with authorized dealers. Owned the car for 2 years.

Had 5 NSX's and kept going back for a reason....

Waiting on this:

The new NSX does look nice. I had one of the older ones and it was a fantastic car. You said you are now speaking with your wallet and tired of paying Porsche's service charges. They can get a little high, but nothing compared to a Lambo or Ferrari. But, since you are speaking with your wallet, how much money did you lose on getting rid of your 991 after owning it for two years?

Old 02-10-2015, 02:31 PM
Rocket_boy has a spectacular aura aboutRocket_boy has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by GS997S
So, you are saying that the dealerships give the manufacturer a cut of the revenue the dealer's service department takes in?????
Directly or Indirectly, sometimes both. In my fairly large metro area I've seen Acura dealerships shut down with no new ones even with the recent population explosion. Just about every other manufacture such as VW, Lexus, Audi, BMW, Nissan, and heck even Buick have stood up new mega dealerships around my area,....Acura has a couple of old dealerships that can't compare and in areas that are now not the best for premium cars. Got to follow the money here, and so far Acura hasn't been able to at least in my area.

You can't survive as a premium dealer without good locations and giving out $39 oil changes. This and the present lineup of Acura cars makes for very low market share and sales = no money for R&D.

I'm sure Honda has injected one last adrenalin shot into Acura,....we will see if it does any good.

Old 02-10-2015, 02:47 PM
ReconTrojan is on a distinguished road
One of my friends was part owner of a OC Acura dealership. He constantly *****ed about the 75 cars a month they sold when they needed to sell 110, that 1/3 of his business plan required most of the 23 bays they had to be constantly full...they weren't and the ugly cars and wild schemes Corporate told the dealership network every year. He finally sold his portion at a loss last year when he had a health condition materialize. I am probably in the minority but the NSX looks like the Japanese take on the out-going R8 with the full effect of Japanese over-design on aero in full effect. No way it will stand the test of time the old NSX has enjoyed.

Old 02-10-2015, 03:09 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by C4S991
if you dont want to pay the price for oil changes, do it yourself. if you cant do it yourself, you have to pay. if you dont want to pay, dont by a porsche. im on my first one and have known for 20 years that maintenance is high.

i think op has nailed it. move to something that is less expensive to keep up.
There is a third option: Use an indy mechanic. Personally, I use the dealership: I supply the oil and parts and they charge me for 1 hr labor (less 10% PCA discount). That seems very fair to me.

As for the NSX, I think it will be an outstanding performance machine but 1. the looks don't do it for me and 2. it is such a complicated design that I would be too fearful to be a first-year buyer (and I say that as a guy who bought a 991 launch edition).

By the way, the new NSX will almost certainly have a 3 to 4 liter V6 so I don't see it having a much lower oil capacity than the 991. As far as the suspect premise that Honda/Acura dealers will be friendlier than Porsche dealers, until the moment comes when you first need to service the new NSX, nobody knows how they will price it. I wouldn't assume it will be the same labor rate/timetable as the Civics.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:19 PM
disden will become famous soon enough
I agree that Porsche dealer service is insanely expensive; for my Cayenne diesel, which has the ridiculous 5000 mile oil change recommendation, I take it to the local VW dealer and they charge 1/2 the price for an oil change as does Porsche for the same oil/service. For the recommended 10k mile services I drive over an hour and take it to Porsche dealer.

No doubt the "cost" of loaner vehicles is added to the service price. that nice Panamera or Cayenne we get to drive off as a loaner must have a cost.

Good luck with the NSX, it seems nice. I would be stunned if a full synthetic oil service is $39 though.

Old 02-10-2015, 04:44 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Good luck with the NSX. I personally think it's a very sharp looking car. I also think there's no way an oil change on that thing will cost anywhere close to $50. The NSX's of old also didn't start at $150k . . .

Old 02-10-2015, 04:55 PM
HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !HotHonda Is a GOD !
I enjoyed the car & was surprised & pleased with the reliability...as far as my Hothonda
screen name, been on 6 speed for a while.

This is my diversion till who knows when..owned a few back in the late '90's
and early 2000's. Good trucks. (Free service for 3 years too ha ha)

EDIT:

My final NSX was this 2005....last production year #200 out of 250 for USA & Canada.
$89,765 MSRP. NSX never sold well except for first few years - after that dealers viewed them as necessary evils I think.
Fabulous cars in their day & used resale for clean examples is strong.

I agree the new version has some stiff competition in the selling price quoted at the 2015 Detroit Show intro.

When you own a new Porsche you learn quickly how much they're not worth when it's time to leave.

Last edited by HotHonda; 02-10-2015 at 05:13 PM.
Old 02-10-2015, 04:56 PM
rayt2448 will become famous soon enough
i work for honda and acura is on a mission to be more competitive at high end market so that means service will have to be done by an acura tech and NOT a 39.95 HONDA TECH
service on the NSX will be PRICEY this NSX is far more technical than last GEN

Old 02-10-2015, 05:47 PM
trysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to alltrysixty is a name known to all
i don't mind the exorbitant oil change cost, as much as the fact that the dealership gives all the doctors in town a nice Porsche loaner for the day while i get a ride home in the sag wagon minivan driven by the car wash kids

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 991 is history