Stuttgart next weekend

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 02:16 PM
sdaddy is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by stealthboy
...dinner at Ochs'n Willi
+ 1 on Ochos'n Willi Also like Clawer-Eck and Sophies.

Old 02-24-2015, 07:19 AM
barbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura aboutbarbancourt has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by sdaddy
+ 1 on Ochos'n Willi Also like Clawer-Eck and Sophies.
Don't get me wrong, Ochs 'n Willi is ok, but it's not mind-blowing. It's a good meal, but I don't want the OP to get his expectations too high.

Old 02-24-2015, 03:09 PM
Basic Sponsor
SuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond reputeSuncoastParts has a reputation beyond repute
Have fun, post pics of the tour!

Your #1 Source for Genuine Porsche Parts and Accessories on the Web!

Visit us at http://www.SuncoastParts.com
Call us at: 877-923-1700
Email us at: Parts@SuncoastParts.com

Follow us to stay connected:
Join Our Newsletter | Facebook
Old 02-24-2015, 04:07 PM
2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold
Just got back

Great trip to Stuttgart. Some thoughts:
-Factory tour was definitely worth it. Even my wife, whom does not really care that deeply about cars was impressed. I would imagine Porsche is going to be a dying breed in the sense we could see every part of the production. From body panels, engine, interior, leather shop- you can see every facet of the car being produced in the factory from beginning to end.

-GT silver paint clearly stuck out on the assembly line, very nice color.

-Saw a few turbos with the Aero Kit installed. Not as bad as I thought it would look. Gives the turbo tail slightly greater prominence, but still not as ominous as the GT3 tail.

-There were quite a few GT3's on the line and in the parking lot. Saw 3 918's.

-Stuttgart the city was kind of boring, even my German friends were not impressed by the city.

-Ochs 'n Willi was ok, however considering the competition it was excellent.

In Summary would definitely recommend the factory tour if anyone is considering it.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg
DSC03658.JPG (1.09 MB, 54 views)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:19 PM
2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold2020 is a splendid one to behold
Some pics from Porsche museum

Few pictures

Attached Images
DSC03676.JPG (365.5 KB, 51 views)
DSC03664.JPG (403.0 KB, 42 views)
DSC03662.JPG (437.9 KB, 43 views)
DSC03667.JPG (454.7 KB, 48 views)
DSC03668.JPG (383.6 KB, 41 views)
Old 02-24-2015, 04:20 PM
one more

The original Porsche Diesel

Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC03666.JPG
Views:	51
Size:	493.3 KB
ID:	415049  
Old 02-24-2015, 06:29 PM
disden will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by 2020
The original Porsche Diesel
Funny, this was my wife's favorite vehicle in the museum. Granted, she grew up on a farm. Oh, she also like the full size Sally from the movie "Cars". Glad you had a nice trip.

Old 02-25-2015, 06:30 AM
Billyii is on a distinguished road
Factory Tour-Reservations and Price?

Originally Posted by 2020
Yes, reserved. No photos of the factory,apparently they make you turn in your phones and cameras with the tour guide. I guess I will draw you guys pictures.

Thanks very much for sharing your pictures and experiences at the Porsche Museum and Factory Tour.

We will be in Europe during parts of April and May and plan to get to the Stuttgart area sometime on our trip and visit both the Mercedes and the Porsche museums. Our trip is not on a schedule and we will be just driving place to place and probably will not know when we will be in Stuttgart until the day before arriving. I noticed you got reservations for the factory tour; are reservations necessary?

Also, the prices for the tour were not clear to me on the Porsche website. All I could determine was the museum admission price was 8E each and a private factory tour was 60E. I assume the 60E was per person which sounds a little pricy to me, even if the 60E is for both of us. Is there any such thing as a regular factory tour, if so, is the price 60E or is a factory tour included with the 8E museum ticket?

Thanks

Billy

Old 02-25-2015, 08:21 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Both museums are walk up, no reservations.
The Porsche Factory tour was setup by my Dealer, like 3-4 months ahead of time.
I assumed reservations ahead of time were needed.
And even then days/times available was hard to get, filled up fast and months ahead.
2 people in my Factory tour group did not show up, they do a Name Roll Call before the tour.
2 people were waiting for No Shows, and they slid in those 2 spots.
I wouldn't bank on that though.
Call your Dealer, or any Dealer...
Or go to the Porsche Website.
Or...just call the Factory!

You GOTTA do the Factory Tour!

Old 02-25-2015, 08:49 AM
Factory Tour-Reservations and Price?

Originally Posted by eldertec
Both museums are walk up, no reservations.
The Porsche Factory tour was setup by my Dealer, like 3-4 months ahead of time.
I assumed reservations ahead of time were needed.
And even then days/times available was hard to get, filled up fast and months ahead.
2 people in my Factory tour group did not show up, they do a Name Roll Call before the tour.
2 people were waiting for No Shows, and they slid in those 2 spots.
I wouldn't bank on that though.
Call your Dealer, or any Dealer...
Or go to the Porsche Website.
Or...just call the Factory!

You GOTTA do the Factory Tour!

Eldertec,

Thanks for the information.

As of now, I have no idea when we will be in Stuttgart and we never travel on a set schedule, due to liking an area and staying a few days extra or not liking a place and moving on.

However, I will take your advice and check with the dealer and/or call the factory. There is not much information on the website. Maybe after we get into Germany, we will have a better idea of the dates and times and perhaps, we will be able to get a reservation at that time.

Thanks again for taking the time to answer my questions.

Billy

Old 02-25-2015, 10:50 AM
Agree, try to make reservations for the factory tour prior to your visit. We got lucky because it was low season. Actually my wife did reserve it one week prior to our visit. There was no cost for this. A private tour maybe different, I don't necessarily think you need a private tour. The tour takes about 2-3 hours. So, theoretically you may be able to do the tour with both museums on the same day, depending how fast you are viewing each car in the museum and how pressed you are with time.

Old 02-25-2015, 11:18 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
My 2 cents...

My wife, son, brother and sister in law did the factory tour in the morning...then lunch...then the Porsche Museum in the afternoon.
The next day we did the Mercedes Museum.
Unless you do a Chevy Chase viewing...not enough time to do all 3 in one day.
You can....not doing it justice.
The Mercedes Museum is Huge...the walking headset tour is Historically Amazingly Fascinating.
Try and split it up...

Old 02-25-2015, 11:56 AM
2020 and Eldertec-A special thanks to both of you for your helpful answers. You have convinced me that we do need to take the factory tour. I will get out the maps and guide books and try to figure out when we will be in the area and make reservations. Your information has been very helpful and we certainly appreciate it....Billy

Old 02-25-2015, 12:28 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I note above that some people were able to walk up and get into the factory tour. This is rare. I've done 13 factory tours (7 in past 4 years) and never seen a walk in get in so to speak. Porsche website has the email address for the tours and that's the best/most efficient way to go. Going through dealer channel has never worked well for me.

Also, private tours are not cheap.

Ps Have my tour in May booked a long time ago.

Old 02-25-2015, 01:23 PM
I guess we got extremely lucky. We had about 9 people on the English speaking tour vs about 20 for the German speaking tour group. So, I guess they could have easily accommodated a few more walk-ins.

There are a couple of nice videos on Youtube on the factory. However you still have to witness in person to really appreciate the work involved in making these cars.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Stuttgart next weekend