Snow Day

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-21-2015, 11:33 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Snow Day

2013 4S PDK
19" Victor Equipment Zehns
Nokian Winter/Snow Tires

What an Incredible experience.
I now look forward to going out in the snow as much (maybe more) than going out in the spring/summer.
Taking back roads and sliding around bends...Priceless!
I've been to a few DE's...and this is the Winter version.
The Traction Control is amazing, Confidence inspiring.
Taking it off in a parking lot...lol.. a Blast!

Name:  image-872127590.jpg
Views: 688
Size:  412.1 KB

Old 02-21-2015, 11:34 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Name:  image-4222438941.jpg
Views: 549
Size:  409.9 KB

Old 02-21-2015, 12:32 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Have fun, but my 991 stays in the garage until the crud is off the road...all the chemicals they dump on the roads here will just ruin the vehicles as they corrode everything. All my commercial trucks in my business are trashed after about 5 years and hard to work on any of the engine and driveline components. Here's what the stuff they dump on the road does to your ride:

http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-cars-to-rust/

I use this Tundra for the winter, and its on a 3-year lease, so I don't have to deal with its rusting brake lines and fuel lines down the road - just get a fresh one every 36 mos. FYI I would never buy any high end sports car on the resale market that has been used in the winter time, once I see that salt residue on the chassis up on the lift its no longer a contender. Of course, if you lease your Porsche, then.... party on!

Old 02-21-2015, 03:45 PM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by eldertec
2013 4S PDK
Nokian Winter/Snow Tires

I now look forward to going out in the snow as much (maybe more) than going out in the spring/summer.
Here the lakes have 18-20" thick ice and it is a blast to drive on. No crud or sand to worry about and it is wide open. Just watch out for ice-fishing mounds!

Old 02-21-2015, 05:28 PM
Vise is on a distinguished road
First winter driving today in my 3 day old GTS... good times!

Old 02-21-2015, 05:55 PM
MadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond reputeMadWhip has a reputation beyond repute
hell yeah. my 996 TT i drive that thing all year round, blizzak tires. and wheels for winter.

Name:  NTcvNz0.jpg
Views: 6
Size:  126.7 KB

Old 02-21-2015, 07:44 PM
the2thdr has a spectacular aura aboutthe2thdr has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by Vise
First winter driving today in my 3 day old GTS... good times!

Been following your other journal. Congratulations on the pick up and the car itself...SBM looks killer. How is it riding in the snow out there?

Old 02-21-2015, 08:30 PM
Carjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud ofCarjunky1 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by drcollie
Have fun, but my 991 stays in the garage until the crud is off the road...all the chemicals they dump on the roads here will just ruin the vehicles as they corrode everything. All my commercial trucks in my business are trashed after about 5 years and hard to work on any of the engine and driveline components. Here's what the stuff they dump on the road does to your ride:

I use this Tundra for the winter, and its on a 3-year lease, so I don't have to deal with its rusting brake lines and fuel lines down the road - just get a fresh one every 36 mos. FYI I would never buy any high end sports car on the resale market that has been used in the winter time, once I see that salt residue on the chassis up on the lift its no longer a contender. Of course, if you lease your Porsche, then.... party on!
Well I guess we could not have any roads. Then we wouldn't have to worry about those darn corrosive road treatments!

Old 02-21-2015, 08:42 PM
Vise is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by the2thdr
Been following your other journal. Congratulations on the pick up and the car itself...SBM looks killer. How is it riding in the snow out there?
It was pretty ugly out there today (very slushy and lots of muck), there were a few sketchy moments but overall I'd say it did quite well. Surprised that it handled deeper light snow with no issues at all though.

That said I'm not actually running my desired snow tire as I mentioned in my other thread. The Pirelli's are being swapped out for Michelin PA4s on Tuesday though so we'll see how it goes after that.

Old 02-21-2015, 11:14 PM
Originally Posted by Vise
It was pretty ugly out there today (very slushy and lots of muck), there were a few sketchy moments but overall I'd say it did quite well. Surprised that it handled deeper light snow with no issues at all though.

That said I'm not actually running my desired snow tire as I mentioned in my other thread. The Pirelli's are being swapped out for Michelin PA4s on Tuesday though so we'll see how it goes after that.
Please update us when you do, whether on this thread or the one on the other site.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:03 AM
Originally Posted by eldertec
2013 4S PDK
Nokian Winter/Snow Tires

Attachment 414736
OP, which Nokians are you running for winter? I used the new studded Hakkapallita 8's on an X5M I just returned to the dealer as well as on my wife's 335xi. Oddly, I found it better on the 335 than on the X5. With both vehicles, though, I had absolutely no problem on ice or when we had freezing rain on top of our snowfalls. Still undecided about it overall, though. Used PA4's on a Mercedes with 4Matic and really liked that tire as well.

Old 02-22-2015, 07:45 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I got caught in the snow yesterday left early and went to the office for a while.

Although I've owned the 991 for almost three years it was the first time that it was driven in the snow. The car has 19 inch Pirelli sottozero II tires and they were fine on the hilly country roads in Chester County pennsylvania so long as I backed off the accelerator.

Old 02-22-2015, 08:27 AM
Originally Posted by the2thdr
OP, which Nokians are you running for winter?.
The Nokian WR

Old 02-22-2015, 08:33 AM
Originally Posted by drcollie
Have fun, but my 991 stays in the garage until the crud is off the road...all the chemicals they dump on the roads here will just ruin the vehicles as they corrode everything. All my commercial trucks in my business are trashed after about 5 years and hard to work on any of the engine and driveline components. Here's what the stuff they dump on the road does to your ride: http://blog.hemmings.com/index.php/2...-cars-to-rust/ I use this Tundra for the winter, and its on a 3-year lease, so I don't have to deal with its rusting brake lines and fuel lines down the road - just get a fresh one every 36 mos. FYI I would never buy any high end sports car on the resale market that has been used in the winter time, once I see that salt residue on the chassis up on the lift its no longer a contender. Of course, if you lease your Porsche, then.... party on!
Lol...it gets better...

This is why I am a member of the Unlimited Wash at Maritime Autowash in Millersville, MD.
I go maybe 2-3 times per week and run it thru the Car Wash Tunnel.
With the Undercarriage Wash of course.
Withat

Old 02-22-2015, 10:49 AM
Porschejeff is on a distinguished road
I live in Michigan and have been driving sports cars for 30 years. I have never used one in the winter. I have a second vehicle for the winter weather. It's not me I am worried about, it's the other idiots on the road that don't know how to drive in the snow.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Snow Day