Break in RPM's

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 09:12 AM
blschaefer1 is on a distinguished road
I've babied mine for the first 1000 miles. I find it hard to believe that the occasion burst to 6k rpms or so it going to do any significant harm. I'm not flogging it on the track, just the occasional run through the gears.

Old 03-27-2015, 10:59 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by wreck111
Sounds good except for one thing, a friend at Porsche told me. Don't race or push it hard during break in,but its fine to take it to 5k give or take during shifts. Just don't hold it over 4k for long. He said for a split second as in a shift is perfectly fine. What they don't want you to do it hold it over 4k as if you had been on a back road and pushing it in a lower gear while getting engine temps high.
Key is to keep the engine from getting excessively hot and going slightly over 4000 during shifts is probably not going to do that. I wouldn't use full repetitive full throttle during that period.

ChuckJ

Old 03-27-2015, 11:26 AM
Thinking about this...with all of the other electronic intelligence and monitoring built into these cars, why would Porsche not have a factory set 'break in mode' that prohibited the car from being abused during the break in period?

The 2k miles thing is really ambiguous. Could be one lone 2K road trip with nothing but highway miles, or 2k of short trips spread over many months. If the break in period is really that important, the car should keep track of the parameters that are critical and 'unlock' the car when the engine is deemed to be fully broken in.

This would also prevent sales people at dealerships from flogging brand new cars to impress potential buyers. I've experienced this many times.

Old 03-27-2015, 12:17 PM
wreck111 is just really nicewreck111 is just really nicewreck111 is just really nicewreck111 is just really nice
Originally Posted by blschaefer1
Thinking about this...with all of the other electronic intelligence and monitoring built into these cars, why would Porsche not have a factory set 'break in mode' that prohibited the car from being abused during the break in period?

The 2k miles thing is really ambiguous. Could be one lone 2K road trip with nothing but highway miles, or 2k of short trips spread over many months. If the break in period is really that important, the car should keep track of the parameters that are critical and 'unlock' the car when the engine is deemed to be fully broken in.

This would also prevent sales people at dealerships from flogging brand new cars to impress potential buyers. I've experienced this many times.

Excellent idea. I have this on my Seadoo 260 For the first 10 hours it wont go over 45 mph after that the Supercharger will kick in.
You have to wonder on most new cars they could have 5-20 miles plus. How many sales people run the **** out of them going to get gas. Never know. What about the cars Porsche uses for there Road America runs. When I was at Summit Point last year, I drove 4 or so cars around the track at over 100 miles an hours and at max throttle. Not one car had over 1500 miles. They wanted you to push the cars. These are then sold to dealers to resell.Full warranty

Old 03-27-2015, 01:28 PM
Originally Posted by wreck111
Excellent idea. I have this on my Seadoo 260 For the first 10 hours it wont go over 45 mph after that the Supercharger will kick in.
You have to wonder on most new cars they could have 5-20 miles plus. How many sales people run the **** out of them going to get gas. Never know. What about the cars Porsche uses for there Road America runs. When I was at Summit Point last year, I drove 4 or so cars around the track at over 100 miles an hours and at max throttle. Not one car had over 1500 miles. They wanted you to push the cars. These are then sold to dealers to resell.Full warranty
Exactly. If the programming were done right, the car would be allowed to slowly 'un cork' as the engine breaks in. It would not need to be a binary 'broken in' or 'not broken in yet' scenario.