PCA and TWS... w photos...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-24-2015, 04:33 PM
trek737 has a spectacular aura abouttrek737 has a spectacular aura about
PCA and TWS... w photos...

Just wanted to post a fun event that involved other Porsche enthusiast...

Two weeks ago my wife and I met 45 plus other Porsche enthusiast at P North Houston at 9:00 am to drive up to Texas World Speedway at College Station.

We enjoyed driving the back roads to get to the track as we followed a long line of beautiful Porsche cars... What a site!

We arrived at TWS at 11:30 and we all lined up in the grid to do a Parade lap. Wow, lots of fun as we made three laps through twisting turns and got to go up high on the track close to the wall. I can see why so many people want to come out here and race.

Then we were treated to watching the Cup cars in the Boxster and 911 divisions. This is where we should of brought some ear plugs. Then one of my friends raced in the white division of the PCA group in his Mean Green Machine M3 track car.

Great to see my friend do well as we saw him pass some other drivers. We also saw the lead driver in the Boxster cup division lose control and spin out in the grass.

Club racing is a lot of fun... And if you have the funds it looks like a great way to spend your time. Maybe this is when I should start playing the lotto!

Quick note on Texas World Speed Way:.
Texas World Speedway
Not to be confused with Texas Motor Speedway.
Texas World Speedway
TWS
Texas World Speedway-Superspeedway.svg
Location College Station, Texas, USA

Opened 1969
Oval
Surface Asphalt
Length 2 mi (3.2 km)
Turns 4
Road Course
Length 2.9 mi (4.67 km)
Turns 15
Texas World Speedway was built in 1969 and is one of only seven superspeedways of two miles (3 km) or greater in the United States used for racing, the others being Indianapolis, Daytona, Pocono, Talladega, Auto Club, and Michigan. There is a 2-mile (3 km) oval, and several road course configurations. The last major race occurred at the track in 1981. The track is still used by amateur racing clubs such as the SCCA, NASA, Porsche Club of America, Corinthian Vintage Auto Racing, CMRA, driving schools and car clubs, as well as hosting music concerts and the like.

During the 1980s the track fell into a state of disrepair, and both NASCAR and the Indy cars chose to drop it from their respective schedules. It continued to operate in a limited role for amateur racing. In 1991 Ishin Speed Sport, Inc. purchased the facility and repaved and modestly refurbished it. It hosted races for ARCA, but after 1993 the company withdrew. The facility has since served as a venue for amateur and club racing, along with private testing. NASCAR teams have used the oval for testing (as it mimics Michigan and Fontana), as a way of skirting the tight restrictions prohibiting testing on active tracks on the schedule.

In June 2015, the track will close permanently, and the land will be redeveloped.

Also worthy mention:
TWS’s two mile high bank oval became known as "The World's Fastest Speedway" when Mario Andretti set a world closed course speed record of 214.158 mph on October 6, 1973 while qualifying for an Indy car race. That record stood in the Guinness Book of World Records for twelve years.

TWS has been the site of numerous Indy car, stock car, motorcycle, truck, and sports car races including:

TEXAS 500, LONE STAR 500
BUDWEISER/NASCAR 400
TEXAS GRAND PRIX
TEXAS RACE OF CHAMPIONS
TEXAS 200, ARCA/WINSTON WEST 500
TEXAS WORLD GRAND PRIX
EXXON SUPERFLO 500
Sanctioned by United States Auto Club, NASCAR, ARCA, Sports Car Club of America, the American Motorcycle Association, WERA, IMSA, and other racing organizations.

Historic Events @ TWS:

Mario Andretti set a world closed course speed record of 214.158 mph on October 6, 1973 while qualifying for an Indy car race. That record stood in the Guinness Book of World Records for twelve years.

The World Record for a Diesel Bob Tail Truck was set at TWS in April, 1981 by Charlie Baker at a speed of 132.6 mph.

A. J. Foyt has won more races at TWS than any other driver. Additionally, he is the only race car driver to have won races in both an Indy Car and a Stock Car, and the only driver to have won races in both types of cars on the same day.

Sorry for the history lesson, but I just could not help myself as I found this very interesting...

Now for some photos!
The first three photos are when P Club members lined up in the grid to do our Parade laps around TWS. P cars as far as the eye could see...

Boxster Cup Cars... A 20 year old hot shot driver was leading most of the race and we saw him go off the track and into the dirt and spin out... It was muddy but with a lot of gunning the gas he was able to rejoin:

Beautiful 911 Race car....

Interior of the 650S...

Rare Audi R8 GT

Last two are of my friends Mean Green M3 Race Car... He raced in the PCA DE white class:

Hope you enjoyed the slide show!

Last edited by trek737; 03-24-2015 at 04:45 PM.
Old 03-24-2015, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like a perfect way to spend the day!

Thanks for sharing

Old 03-24-2015, 06:07 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks for posting! Looks like it was a great day! Cool!

Old 03-24-2015, 11:44 PM
sracer is on a distinguished road
i see Ernst was out there terrorizing people in the (Non-spec) SRF!

Old 03-25-2015, 06:29 PM
fjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to allfjpgt3 is a name known to all
Great pics....looks like a fine time.

Old 03-25-2015, 11:32 PM
eonflux is on a distinguished road
What a cool event.
Thanks for sharing!

Old 03-26-2015, 06:10 AM
Billyii is on a distinguished road
Thanks for Sharing Your Photos

[QUOTE=trek737;4313056]Just wanted to post a fun event that involved other Porsche enthusiast...

Two weeks ago my wife and I met 45 plus other Porsche enthusiast at P North Houston at 9:00 am to drive up to Texas World Speedway at College Station.

We enjoyed driving the back roads...
__________________________________________________ __________

trek737,

Thanks for posting; your pictures are top quality. I live north of Houston and, in the last few years, I have attended several events at Texas World Speedway. It is so sad that TWS is closing. We will all miss the events at the track.

Again, thanks for posting the wonderful photos.

Billy

Old 03-26-2015, 08:20 AM
trek737 has a spectacular aura abouttrek737 has a spectacular aura about
Guys thanks for chiming in...

I would like to see more posts of others going out and enjoying their cars... Whether it be a track day, Coffee and Cars, a road trip or what ever the occasion might be...

Originally Posted by trek737

trek737,
Thanks for posting; your pictures are top quality. I live north of Houston and, in the last few years, I have attended several events at Texas World Speedway. It is so sad that TWS is closing. We will all miss the events at the track.
Again, thanks for posting the wonderful photos.
Billy
Billy, I totally agree... It is a very sad day that they are closing the TWS... I wish I would have gotten to spend more time there, but I am glad that at least I got to see it before it will be torn down...