2014 911 @ Car Wash

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-27-2015, 03:23 PM
bruceinarizona is on a distinguished road
2014 911 @ Car Wash

Hello All,

I am a fairly new 911 owner, and some time ago I wrote to the forum for advice on wheel spacers. I received many responses and got good advice. I have subsequently installed 7/15 spacers, and my car looks great! Thanks to all!

Now, I'm once again seeking advice:

My wife and I will be taking several extensive road trips in my 911 this summer, and I refuse to let the appearance of my car suffer. At home in Arizona, my car gets washed by hand in my driveway and detailed in my garage, which has been easy, as the car has never even been in the rain! My car is flawless.

Has anyone experienced any damages at an automatic wash? (That was a total no-no in my Corvette.) Probably two or three times at the most over several trips. My first choice would be finding a hand carwash, but I'm trying to develop a contingency plan.

I appreciate anyone's experiences or advice about automatic car washes and their 911....

Last edited by bruceinarizona; 03-28-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 03-27-2015, 04:01 PM
hinckley will become famous soon enough
I don't like to do it, but I've had a few "dirty car emergencies" and brought my 911s - including my 991 Cab - through a high-end car wash. I never had a problem, and never had a trace of water inside.

Old 03-27-2015, 05:13 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I try finding self washing places, or detailing place while travelling. I learned if have clear film, its best to spray clean clear film with Plexus, do not wipe off. Then when ready to wash car, it pretty allows the grime/bugs to float away. If me, I would probably wait until I get back home to wash car. Just leave with good coat of wax, and enjoy.

Last edited by mto; 03-28-2015 at 03:02 PM.
Old 03-27-2015, 06:34 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I cringe at the thought of high speed spinning soapy towels in an automatic car wash. Over the winter i dropped by a self serv car wash and used ten micro fiber towels to wash the car. As I did not have my usual two rinse buckets I discarded a towel after completing each section of the car.

Frankly I'd prefer a dirty car than one cleaned in an automatic wash

Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I would not take the car to any car wash. I'd enjoy the heck out of the road trip, love the drive, not worry about how dirty the car is getting, and then give it a nice bath and detail when you get home.

Old 03-27-2015, 06:54 PM
sapphireblue is on a distinguished road
I would never take my 991 to an automatic car wash. We do have a couple of hand wash car wash location near my home. I would use one of those if I could not do it myself but that has not happened so far. My 991 is a fair weather weekend driver so it never get really dirty.

Old 03-27-2015, 08:26 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
We will be doing the same thing next month for two and a half weeks. Florida to LA and back. I don't plan to use a car wash until I get my 60k checkup done in San Diego. To me the dirty look of the car is a badge of honor.

Old 03-27-2015, 09:40 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
I wouldn't take my beater through a drive thru wash. They will swirl the crap outta your paint! Plus the chemicals they tend to use are very harsh and not very good for your finish/LSP you have applied. They give this OCD guy nightmares! LOL

I will, in an emergency, or a road trip situation, take it to one of the spray it yourself type places...

Old 03-28-2015, 02:18 AM
beaverlake is on a distinguished road
Search for car detail shops in cities or towns where you plan to stop or through which you will drive. Call in advance to see if you'd need an appointment. Loosing an hour and $35 is a lot better than spending a fortune in paint correction later on. Plus you'll get to meet some interesting folks along the way!

Old 04-01-2015, 01:52 PM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by blackbeauty
I would never take my 991 to an automatic car wash. We do have a couple of hand wash car wash location near my home. I would use one of those if I could not do it myself but that has not happened so far. My 991 is a fair weather weekend driver so it never get really dirty.
+1.....never an automatic car wash!

Old 04-01-2015, 02:32 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I can't imagine a scenario where I would take my 911, or any car for that matter, through an auto car wash.

Old 04-01-2015, 06:15 PM
BradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to allBradB is a name known to all
I would never dream of a auto car wash. But I take many long trips and track days throughout the country. I always wash the car myself. Even on the road. It's easy to find water access at hotels or take it to a DIY spray wash, but use it more for the bay and water access than the hard spray. I always assemble a wash kit very similar to what I use at home. This includes sheepskin mitt, waffleweave drying dowels and a collapsible fabric water bucket. This, and more, all goes in a small sealed plastic container so everything stays dry inside the car. I dry my towels in the bathroom of the hotel at the next stop.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:25 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
I go All the time.
Unlimited Wash Club.
Find the right one...rear wheels fit...can handle the Low ride.
No Problem.

Name:  image-1562740361.jpg
Views: 748
Size:  511.9 KB

Old 04-01-2015, 07:26 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Good as New!!
Life's too short, for a Slow wash...lol...

Name:  image-4054301723.jpg
Views: 827
Size:  550.2 KB

Old 04-01-2015, 07:30 PM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
I only wash my cars in my driveway. No way would I trust it to an automatic car wash!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2014 911 @ Car Wash