What do you guys think of Aston Martins?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-29-2015, 08:44 AM
ma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura aboutma991 has a spectacular aura about
Going off topic galion but you may want to take a peek at a GT3. I too have a 4S now and just closed a deal on a PTS GT3 which will be here in about 6 weeks. I'll wait until I have the GT3 for a bit before making a decision on the 4S. If you like the Porsche brand and are looking for a something more than the GT3 may be your answer.

Old 03-29-2015, 10:05 AM
///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough///armin is a jewel in the rough
Thumbs down

They look amazing, the shape of the car, curves, everything about it screams major performance and they sound amazing.

But honestly after spending a lot of time on a new Vantage S, I can tell you that they are a huge disappointment if you actually put value on performance and not just looks & sound. First the transmission: what a disaster! it jerks each time it shifts and there is a huge delay, there is no dual clutch available and I initially thought there was something actually wrong with the car but then the sales person said that's how they are! The car is so stiff in normal mode that you easily get a headache after 30 mins of driving, and it's just very bouncy. Acceleration: it feels very slow compared to a 911 S or even M3, for a 150K car it really needs to move much faster. Don't even let me get into the electronics. Maintenance: $1200 yearly oil change.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:21 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the AM doesn't scream sports car. A luxury/sports car hybrid. Front grill? Barf. Not a fan.

Old 03-29-2015, 11:29 AM
isugoo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by STG991
Maybe I'm in the minority here, but the AM doesn't scream sports car. A luxury/sports car hybrid. Front grill? Barf. Not a fan.
but AM's exhaust systems def. scream for sport car. I think it's one of the best sound stock exhaust note in the market in my opinion.

Last edited by isugoo; 03-29-2015 at 04:08 PM.
Old 03-29-2015, 01:07 PM
b_gust99 will become famous soon enough
I had a 997.2 PDK for 3 years. When I felt it was time for a change, I looked into Aston's. I knew I wanted a manual because I was bored with the PDK. I test drove several v8 vantage and vantage s's. Very different feel than the 911. The vantage feels bigger and heavier even though it is several inches shorter. Acceleration was a bit sluggish. I loved the v8 but couldn't justify the price increase.

On a whim I drove the v12 and was sold. It had the looks and sound without the disappointing acceleration. Have had the car for 2 years and still drool at it and can't stop looking at it as I walk away. Never had that with the 911. Clearly this is subjective though and many feel the opposite.

Which car is right for you? If it's for daily commute, I agree 911 is more comfortable. If you track (I don't), 911 is probably more cost effective. If it's a third car for spirited back road driving, drive them both and choose. The Aston feels a bit more special. The sound, the smell, the look all complete the total package for me. The 911 has better ergonomics and technology, but for a third car, these issues are not important to me.

I highly recommend looking at used v12's. Prices are great and the car won't disappoint. Enjoy the search!

Brent

Old 03-30-2015, 05:06 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
My wife is a huge AM fan. But even she sees it is very dated. They need new tech, not only in the interior, but especially on the engine front. Enter Mercedes/amg V8 engines ...
I see some canibalisation of the AMG GT in the future ...

Old 03-30-2015, 07:22 AM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Astons are beautiful, but with the 991 Porsche has matched it in design, and totally run away in functionality and most of all in performance. Any Aston is a classic car, desirable for its qualities, but seriously dated.

Old 03-30-2015, 01:10 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Thanks for all your opinions and feedbacks.
Finally had the chance to drive an AM V8 Vanquish, not an S but a GT.
I really, really liked this car, you have to be emotionally castrated to not like it, its a beauty from any angle you look, the interior is superbly well crafted and the ergonomics are spot on, it exudes cache and class, huge status symbol here.

Driving this white GT was such an experience, definetely an attention getter (not something that I like)
It felt fast, but not as fast and planted as my C4S, I guess the V12 would be a different story.
The biggest let down was the speedshift transmission, I tried to love it but reminds me of the SMG tranny I had in my 2007 M5, very slow in auto mode to the point of being annoying. My Porsche PDK is way superior.
In the end, I think the Aston is a car that I'd love to own but not to drive as much as I love to drive my 991, for now I'll pass and hold on to my C4S.
Thanks again.

Last edited by galion; 03-30-2015 at 01:24 PM.
Old 03-30-2015, 03:24 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by galion
Thanks for all your opinions and feedbacks.
Finally had the chance to drive an AM V8 Vanquish, not an S but a GT.
I really, really liked this car, you have to be emotionally castrated to not like it, its a beauty from any angle you look, the interior is superbly well crafted and the ergonomics are spot on, it exudes cache and class, huge status symbol here.

Driving this white GT was such an experience, definetely an attention getter (not something that I like)
It felt fast, but not as fast and planted as my C4S, I guess the V12 would be a different story.
The biggest let down was the speedshift transmission, I tried to love it but reminds me of the SMG tranny I had in my 2007 M5, very slow in auto mode to the point of being annoying. My Porsche PDK is way superior.
In the end, I think the Aston is a car that I'd love to own but not to drive as much as I love to drive my 991, for now I'll pass and hold on to my C4S.
Thanks again.
That's great that you got to drive one. The GT is the most visceral of the V8 Vantage iterations. And I completely agree their Sport Shift 2 tranmission is garbage but I am still managing to enjoy mine (avoiding auto mode as much as possoble). I found the 2010 M5 SMG III was the best of the single clutch gear boxes I have experienced but there was still lag in shifts. I might put AM's SS II auto-mode even below BMW's e46 SMG II (from 2006). Continue to enjoy your C4S it is a great car!

Old 03-31-2015, 07:10 PM
galion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud ofgalion has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by omegaSMP300
That's great that you got to drive one. The GT is the most visceral of the V8 Vantage iterations. And I completely agree their Sport Shift 2 tranmission is garbage but I am still managing to enjoy mine (avoiding auto mode as much as possoble). I found the 2010 M5 SMG III was the best of the single clutch gear boxes I have experienced but there was still lag in shifts. I might put AM's SS II auto-mode even below BMW's e46 SMG II (from 2006). Continue to enjoy your C4S it is a great car!

Thanks! but after seeing this short video I may change my mind to a V12, what a beautiful presentation! its so beautiful it makes me want to cry '
Great marketing by Clarkson. Decisions, decisions.....

Old 03-31-2015, 07:24 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I don't like the hood scoops/vents at all.

Old 04-01-2015, 07:21 PM
omegaSMP300 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
I don't like the hood scoops/vents at all.
I agree. I think there is a chance they would grow on me or I would get a black car so I wouldn't notice them as much. I suppose as it is their top performance version of the vantage it makes sense to make it a little more showy. But I like when cars are understated personally.

Old 04-02-2015, 06:46 AM
hinckley will become famous soon enough
I've tried the AM Vantage V8 before buying three of my four 911s. I really wanted to like the car. But for me, the attraction ends with its beautiful lines and incredible exhaust note. I agree with the other posters' comments on its lack of driving dynamics and technology compared to the Porsche. But the real deal killer for me is its terrifying bling spots. Backing straight is tough, but the blind spot in its rear three-quarters makes merging a crap shoot. Just stomp on the pedal and hope no one is there. I experienced the same thing in each of my three test drives and was just happy to get the car back in one piece. Scary, scary stuff.

Old 04-02-2015, 02:26 PM
fergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nicefergie is just really nice
I drove 911s for about 25 years, then was enchanted by the looks and sound of the AM V8 Vantage Roadster in 2007. I just thought it was the most gorgeous, exotic thing I'd ever seen and heard. I still loved my P cars and kept a couple Boxsters and Cayennes in the garage but decided to go for the sportscar change and see what it was like. I had a 2007 then a 2011 V8 Vantage Roadster. I thoroughly appreciated the experience, the build quality and the pure beauty of the Astons, but I just kept comparing the visceral driving experience to the 911 and eventually the 991 lured me back. Now that I'm driving a 991 Targa 4S and a GT3 I feel complete again. As much as I enjoyed the Astons, the 911 is a much more fulfilling performance driving experience and, as many others have said, a much better daily driver. Plus Aston is still technologically subordinate to Porsche in many ways, which is hard to ignore. I wouldn't dissuade you from experiencing an Aston, but not if it means you abandon all P cars to do it.

Last edited by fergie; 04-02-2015 at 02:28 PM.
Old 04-02-2015, 05:58 PM
mto
mto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud ofmto has much to be proud of
I'm a fan of Aston Martin.

Aston is in process to revamp their product line. I believe within two years, they will give Porsche some competition. I still like the styling and sound of an Aston more than say my 991 Turbo S, but the Porsche just feels better driving, including visibility. I do consider the Aston as a GT car, and as the 911's keep growing in size, they are now on the cusp of becoming GT. Aston will release the DB11 next year, or so, with AMG influence, and AM investors are continuing to invest in their product. It showed at the NY auto show, the display was 3 times larger than last year. In two years, I can easily see myself buying a DB11.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: What do you guys think of Aston Martins?