Scraped the front lip

Old 04-21-2015, 09:55 PM
notsurewhattodo is on a distinguished road
Scraped the front lip

I bought a used 2013 991 Carrera last month, my first Porsche. Took me around 60 seconds behind the wheel to fall in love with the car. I realized why people are 911 fans. I'm unable to enjoy other cars anymore. I guess it will all be Porsches from now on.

But I made a small mistake and scraped the front lip I was always careful but s*** happens. It's not that big and since my car is black it's hardly noticeable. Do I have to change it or can I keep it as it is? I mean I assume it's actually doing something instead of only protecting the bumper. I checked by hand and it still feels solid. And how much a standard front lip will cost? From a Porsche dealer? I searched the forums but people are talking about modified sporty lips and I couldn't find information about standard factory Carrera lips. I love the simple look of the car and I don't want to make it sporty or anything.

Old 04-22-2015, 04:44 AM
super50 has a spectacular aura aboutsuper50 has a spectacular aura about
I am sure all of us have scraped it at some point. No point changing it - the new one will get scraped too. Ultimately if it bothers you, swap it out. Its easy enough.
suncoastparts.com has it.

Old 04-22-2015, 05:52 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
definitely do not change it, there will be many more scrapes from everyday or weekend driving

Old 04-22-2015, 11:10 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
I have a little scrape on my front lip (standard). I bought another one with every intention of swapping it, but I haven't even gotten around to it. I think it was around $150 or something. I'm just not as concerned about the little scrape on the front lip anymore - realizing that it'll just happen again. Oh well, at least now I have an extra just in case.

Old 04-22-2015, 12:29 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Just wet sand it down if it bothers you. Start with 150 grit and work it in steps to 1200 grit. By the time you get to 1200 it will look like factory and no marks on it.

Old 04-22-2015, 01:32 PM
Former Vendor
HOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond reputeHOUSE Motorsports has a reputation beyond repute
It was bound to happen eventually - the first one is always the hardest!

Don't change it - you'll be fine Think of them as battle scars from patroling the urban jungle that we live in.

Congrats and yes the Porsche driving experience is indeed like no other!

Old 04-22-2015, 07:29 PM
eddtiff is on a distinguished road
Is there some type of gel (like really thick clear sticky tape) you can paste under the spoiler lip to cushion the scrape?

Last edited by eddtiff; 04-22-2015 at 09:34 PM.
Old 04-22-2015, 07:36 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
I've scraped that Sittin too low thing so many times, I've lost count.
I've Flat Black spray painted it 3 times already.
And...it has a crack in it....and I'm the only one that knows!
You can only tell...if you are lookin...and, on your hands and knees...3' away...lol

Old 04-22-2015, 08:17 PM
dphouse is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by notsurewhattodo
I bought a used 2013 991 Carrera last month, my first Porsche. Took me around 60 seconds behind the wheel to fall in love with the car. I realized why people are 911 fans. I'm unable to enjoy other cars anymore. I guess it will all be Porsches from now on.

But I made a small mistake and scraped the front lip I was always careful but s*** happens. It's not that big and since my car is black it's hardly noticeable. Do I have to change it or can I keep it as it is? I mean I assume it's actually doing something instead of only protecting the bumper. I checked by hand and it still feels solid. And how much a standard front lip will cost? From a Porsche dealer? I searched the forums but people are talking about modified sporty lips and I couldn't find information about standard factory Carrera lips. I love the simple look of the car and I don't want to make it sporty or anything.
I have my original one that I can sell to you if you'd like a smoking deal. Pm me.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:51 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by dphouse
I have my original one that I can sell to you if you'd like a smoking deal. Pm me.
if he doesn't buy it, I'm interested.

Old 04-23-2015, 09:53 AM
super50 has a spectacular aura aboutsuper50 has a spectacular aura about
Originally Posted by eddtiff
Is there some type of gel (like really thick clear sticky tape) you can paste under the spoiler lip to cushion the scrape?
My friend you are overthinking this....its just cheap plastic, and its there to protect the metal lip.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:01 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...S_Exterioraero

They're disposable. Screw them up enough, and have another one on hand.

Old 04-23-2015, 10:45 AM
tanman will become famous soon enough
I have a brand new one in the Bay Area, although not the sport lip but the standard. I believe Suncoast still sells them. Anyone can have it for a crazy price, just PM me. I moved on to a 991 4S with the Aerokit.

Old 04-23-2015, 01:04 PM
notsurewhattodo is on a distinguished road
Thanks for the responses. Yeah the first one is the hardest.

If I can find a cheap one I'm going to replace it otherwise I'll keep it as it is.

Old 04-23-2015, 02:31 PM
barncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the roughbarncobob is a jewel in the rough
gotta watch those concrete "stoppers" in parking lots also

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Scraped the front lip