FAQ for GIAC 991 and 991 S software upgrades:

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-07-2015, 01:16 PM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
FAQ for GIAC 991 and 991 S software upgrades:

FAQ for GIAC 991 and 991S software upgrades:

We’ve received numerous messages with similar questions regarding GIAC software upgrades for the 991 Carrera and Carrera S models. We are responding to these questions with a post so that others searching for the same information can find it in this thread.

How is this software installed?

• GIAC software is 100% OBD2 flashed and 100% software based.
• There are no boxes or additional electronics installed into the vehicle at the time of software installation.
• Software installation requires neither ECU removal from the vehicle nor ECU opening at any point.
• Software installation must be performed at an authorized GIAC dealer.
• GIAC software is installed using GIAC flash tools developed 100% in-house by GIAC engineers.

What are the Horsepower and Torque gains with your software?

• Peak gains for non-S models with GIAC software without any additional upgrades make 5-10 horsepower and 5-10 ft. lbs. of torque and up to 15-hp/tq in some areas of the power band.
• When coupled with the Champion Motorsport Power kit, total gains are 18 whp and 16 wtq, with increases as high as 20 hp and 20 ft. /lbs of tq at the WHEELS.
• Carrera S models with GIAC software and all stock hardware make approximately 10-15 horsepower and 10-15 ft. /lbs of torque at the wheels. Power gains over stock reach 16 horsepower and 24 ft. /lbs. of torque in some areas of the power band.

Raw Wheel Horsepower Dyno Chart from Mustang MD-500 AWD Dynamometer (click image for full size):

Horsepower and torque gained over stock throughout the entire power band (click image for full size):

• Ranges are given because power will vary slightly depending on the fuel octane used, dyno conditions, and test specifications (dyno room temperatures, cool down times, fan setup, etc…).
• Dyno charts listed for Carrera S models are generated from a Mustang MD-500 dyno, on 91 octane fuel. 93 octane users will see greater gains.

Manual transmission vehicles are difficult to shift with full power, does GIAC software rectify this?

• GIAC software adjusts the factory torque management in order to allow for full power immediately after gear transitions.

Will GIAC software make the PDK shift rough?

• No, it will not. Similar to the manual transmission equipped vehicles, our torque control strategies during gear transitions allow for shifts to be smoother than stock gear transitions (which are already quite good).

Do I need to run 100 octane fuel with GIAC software.

• Current GIAC software options are developed for use with 91 or 93 octane fuel (95 or 98 RON). 100 octane fuel is not required.

Does GIAC software remove the drive-by-wire throttle delay?

• GIAC software is calibrated to remove input delays in the drive-by-wire system. Our strategy is to have a linear throttle response that is not overly touchy.

If my car needs to be returned to stock, can GIAC flash it back to 100% true stock, just the way it came from the factory?

• GIAC reads all new versions of factory software and matches our calibrations to the software version that is installed in an ECU at the time of calibration. For vehicles that need to be returned to stock, they’re re-flashed with the same exact version of 100% OEM factory software that the vehicle had prior to upgrading.

What is the crank output with a GIAC software upgrade? (click image for full size)

• Assuming that a Carrera S makes 400hp and 325 ft. /lbs of torque from the factory, GIAC software increases peak output to 413 hp and 339 ft. /lbs. of torque.
• For Carrera models, software will increase output to 359 hp. Adding the Champion Power Kit, yields 369 hp. Torque output remains constant across all upgrade paths for the Non-S models.

What will I notice most with a GIAC software upgrade?

• Low to mid-range torque gains are the most noticeable benefit of GIAC software on the Carrera S models. This area of the power band is significantly altered, making the car feel much more alive. The GIAC software upgrade adds 17-24 ft. /lbs. between 3000 and 4400 RPM.

Here are some reviews of the software from a few of your fellow 6speeders:

Carrera S:

Carrera S:

Carrera S:

Other:

Old 05-08-2015, 08:22 PM
carbonbmw is on a distinguished road
Austin,

Did you guys make the tune for C2, I don't see it on your website

Old 05-09-2015, 04:46 AM
maximumboost is on a distinguished road
catless

Did you guys make the tune for 991 C2 catless

Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor
Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !Andrew@GIAC Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by carbonbmw
Austin,

Did you guys make the tune for C2, I don't see it on your website
Yes, we offer software for all 991 naturally aspirated models.

Old 05-11-2015, 10:21 AM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by maximumboost
Did you guys make the tune for 991 C2 catless
Which exhaust system are you running?

Old 08-19-2015, 02:00 AM
ppwchiang is on a distinguished road
Austin...how does the GIAC software affect the sport and sport plus button on the 991 CS PDK? I mean, after I get my ECU flashed, will I see the power gains in normal driving mode or in sport or sport plus mode? Thanks!

Old 08-19-2015, 12:14 PM
Former Vendor
Originally Posted by ppwchiang
Austin...how does the GIAC software affect the sport and sport plus button on the 991 CS PDK? I mean, after I get my ECU flashed, will I see the power gains in normal driving mode or in sport or sport plus mode? Thanks!
Sport and Sport Plus mode function in the same fashion as they do with factory software. You will see gains in all modes.

Old 08-25-2015, 09:47 PM
ppwchiang is on a distinguished road
Just did the GIAC tune last Friday, took about 2hrs, finally caught a break from the nonstop rain this week to do some driving. Wow! I did all my driving on highway, 100-200+km/hr is soooo effortless, 235+ it still keeps on pulling really hard, the difference in high RPM very obvious. I'm very happy with the tune, can't wait to put my plenum, headers and exhaust on.

Old 09-09-2015, 02:00 PM
Nfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud ofNfall has much to be proud of
Austin,
Love the way you show us the graphs and detailed information for our knowledge of your product. It really sets you apart from others out there.

Originally Posted by Austin@GIAC
FAQ for GIAC 991 and 991S software upgrades:

We’ve received numerous messages with similar questions regarding GIAC software upgrades for the 991 Carrera and Carrera S models. We are responding to these questions with a post so that others searching for the same information can find it in this thread.

How is this software installed?

• GIAC software is 100% OBD2 flashed and 100% software based.
• There are no boxes or additional electronics installed into the vehicle at the time of software installation.
• Software installation requires neither ECU removal from the vehicle nor ECU opening at any point.
• Software installation must be performed at an authorized GIAC dealer.
• GIAC software is installed using GIAC flash tools developed 100% in-house by GIAC engineers.

What are the Horsepower and Torque gains with your software?

• Peak gains for non-S models with GIAC software without any additional upgrades make 5-10 horsepower and 5-10 ft. lbs. of torque and up to 15-hp/tq in some areas of the power band.
• When coupled with the Champion Motorsport Power kit, total gains are 18 whp and 16 wtq, with increases as high as 20 hp and 20 ft. /lbs of tq at the WHEELS.
• Carrera S models with GIAC software and all stock hardware make approximately 10-15 horsepower and 10-15 ft. /lbs of torque at the wheels. Power gains over stock reach 16 horsepower and 24 ft. /lbs. of torque in some areas of the power band.

Raw Wheel Horsepower Dyno Chart from Mustang MD-500 AWD Dynamometer (click image for full size):

Horsepower and torque gained over stock throughout the entire power band (click image for full size):

• Ranges are given because power will vary slightly depending on the fuel octane used, dyno conditions, and test specifications (dyno room temperatures, cool down times, fan setup, etc…).
• Dyno charts listed for Carrera S models are generated from a Mustang MD-500 dyno, on 91 octane fuel. 93 octane users will see greater gains.

Manual transmission vehicles are difficult to shift with full power, does GIAC software rectify this?

• GIAC software adjusts the factory torque management in order to allow for full power immediately after gear transitions.

Will GIAC software make the PDK shift rough?

• No, it will not. Similar to the manual transmission equipped vehicles, our torque control strategies during gear transitions allow for shifts to be smoother than stock gear transitions (which are already quite good).

Do I need to run 100 octane fuel with GIAC software.

• Current GIAC software options are developed for use with 91 or 93 octane fuel (95 or 98 RON). 100 octane fuel is not required.

Does GIAC software remove the drive-by-wire throttle delay?

• GIAC software is calibrated to remove input delays in the drive-by-wire system. Our strategy is to have a linear throttle response that is not overly touchy.

If my car needs to be returned to stock, can GIAC flash it back to 100% true stock, just the way it came from the factory?

• GIAC reads all new versions of factory software and matches our calibrations to the software version that is installed in an ECU at the time of calibration. For vehicles that need to be returned to stock, they’re re-flashed with the same exact version of 100% OEM factory software that the vehicle had prior to upgrading.

What is the crank output with a GIAC software upgrade? (click image for full size)

• Assuming that a Carrera S makes 400hp and 325 ft. /lbs of torque from the factory, GIAC software increases peak output to 413 hp and 339 ft. /lbs. of torque.
• For Carrera models, software will increase output to 359 hp. Adding the Champion Power Kit, yields 369 hp. Torque output remains constant across all upgrade paths for the Non-S models.

What will I notice most with a GIAC software upgrade?

• Low to mid-range torque gains are the most noticeable benefit of GIAC software on the Carrera S models. This area of the power band is significantly altered, making the car feel much more alive. The GIAC software upgrade adds 17-24 ft. /lbs. between 3000 and 4400 RPM.

Here are some reviews of the software from a few of your fellow 6speeders:

Carrera S:

Carrera S:

Carrera S:

Other: