Porsche call to an end of the Horsepower War

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-18-2015, 04:18 PM
Frank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond reputeFrank ( Sunnyside ) has a reputation beyond repute
I should wonder if there is any one on 6 Speed capable of either driving ultra powerful cars or ultra handling cars to the maximum potential on the public high way. Most of us will never do the Ring and will most probable only ever drive our cars on Canyon or mountain roads and the freeway/ motorway and as a daily driver.
What I want from a car is acceleration that will push my bladder out my *** and enough handling to have fun. Whats the point in a car that will far out exceed the speed limit on a public highway if you cant see whats around the corner
Where does that leave us......well uber powerful cars for the acceleration hunters and number braggers and less powerful cars for the public road racer. Live and let live and make and let make.

Old 05-23-2015, 03:51 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I think Tromero is building up the rationale to buy a 918.

ChuckJ

Old 05-26-2015, 01:24 PM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
I am well aware that Porsche makes more powerful cars at higher price points. My point was we should not have to spend $165k to get both power and handling ala 911 turbo S. In my opinion the base 911 should deliver for $90k at the very least what a BMW M3 does at 435hp for $65k, or a Corvette for $55k or even a lowly mustang GT at 435hp for $35k.

If indeed Porsche does deliver a base Carrera with twin turbo and 400hp then I will shut up. That will be close enough for me and more than enough for my driving pleasure. 350hp at $90k is just not a good value.

Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by tromero
I am well aware that Porsche makes more powerful cars at higher price points. My point was we should not have to spend $165k to get both power and handling ala 911 turbo S. In my opinion the base 911 should deliver for $90k at the very least what a BMW M3 does at 435hp for $65k, or a Corvette for $55k or even a lowly mustang GT at 435hp for $35k.

If indeed Porsche does deliver a base Carrera with twin turbo and 400hp then I will shut up. That will be close enough for me and more than enough for my driving pleasure. 350hp at $90k is just not a good value.
Here you go

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=EAmChzyqBrc

Old 05-26-2015, 02:43 PM
cab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud ofcab83_750 has much to be proud of

You reminded of my business class: back in the early 80's, Mercedez decided to compete with Honda, Toyota, Datsun, etc. they decided to build a small car which will be priced competitively thus taking away some market share from The Japanese manufacturer.

They built the car but before selling it, Marketing found out that they should not sell the car for $18K or so. Instead, it should be priced over $30k.

Why? People will pay for the brand; they can make more money producing less units; branding will continue to be exclusive....

Until the appetite for Porsche goes down, Porsche prices will continue to be as-is.

Old 05-27-2015, 02:13 AM
ttpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond reputettpopo has a reputation beyond repute

THIS.

But see...Porsche is a MARKETING company now.

Of course they will say this BS, but still happily make you pay extra for every HP.

in the USA, HP = sales. Porsche knows this very well.

Just have a cursory look at their model range and see how carefully meted out each HP is.

And yes...450HP is underpowered in this day and age. Most ppl drive in straight lines. Next time you get blown away in your 911 by a Jeep truck you may understand

(I know, it happened to ME!)

Old 05-27-2015, 10:08 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
You are precisely correct. In my opinion the 991 3.4 was kept at 350hp because heaven forbid we offend 2005-2008 997 S owners (who have 355hp). It's just absurd. Why not just make every car in the product range the very best that engineering will allow for that price point. Why the rationing? It's absurd.

I have no problem with Porsche pricing. I have a problem with value for dollar spent. I will pay the premium but for God's sake give me a car that won't be embarrassed by an SRT Jeep

Old 05-27-2015, 08:49 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
You are precisely correct. In my opinion the 991 3.4 was kept at 350hp because heaven forbid we offend 2005-2008 997 S owners (who have 355hp). It's just absurd. Why not just make every car in the product range the very best that engineering will allow for that price point. Why the rationing? It's absurd.

I have no problem with Porsche pricing. I have a problem with value for dollar spent. I will pay the premium but for God's sake give me a car that won't be embarrassed by an SRT Jeep
Who street drag races with anyone anymore? Is it 1968 again? If so, I want my 68 Firebird 400 with 70 profile tires, 411 rear Crane Cam and 750cfm Holly back

Old 05-27-2015, 10:56 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by rnl
Who street drag races with anyone anymore? Is it 1968 again? If so, I want my 68 Firebird 400 with 70 profile tires, 411 rear Crane Cam and 750cfm Holly back

Pics... PLEASE!

Old 05-28-2015, 06:27 AM
rnl
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
Pics... PLEASE!
It's gone. Long ago. Far away. I suspect that its essence and propensity to fail was recycled into a Vega, Yugo, Chevy ignition switch or an airbag.

By the time it had 50000 on the odo pontiac had replaced 80% of the drivetrain under the 5/50k warranty. It was a piece of sh&t albeit a fast one

Old 05-28-2015, 03:50 PM
AG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond reputeAG991 has a reputation beyond repute
What a great discussion. I went to the Porsche Driving School in Birmingham with my nephew in early March and had a great time. What I learned was that I am sooo very unable to use the performance built into my 991S already, that going up in horse power is a waste. They did let us drive a Turbo S in launch mode and it is a kick in the pants. And I am sure that part of the objective of the school is to get you into their newest and best so you get out of whatever you have and into one of their new cars. But for me it had the opposite effect - I have too much car already.

Interestingly, the most fun I had was in a new Boxter GTS - with even less power. It was just a blast to drive and it likes to be driven hard.

I have always thought that the HP battle, like the top speed battle, is a waste in the US where, track days excepted, you can never use half of the cars actual speed limit. And, like some of the commenters here, I think Torque, more than HP or top speed, is more thrilling and more useful. I have a 2006 Mustang GT with some modifications - but the HP is likely only about 340. It is greatly improved in turns, but it will never be a Porsche. It does have a 4:10 gear, however, and I can beat most things to 60 - sub 4 seconds (all for about $40k total all in). It is a blast.

I also agree that in normal mode, and unless your driving style involves pushing the car hard, even the 400 HP 911 S is sluggish. In the Mustang, if you just look at it funny, it takes off. I would like a little more of that in my Porsche - more low end torque, all the time. But I know that if I truly do want it, it is there, I just have to be more aggressive on the peddles and push the sport or sport+ buttons.

Reading the year over year sales figures, 911 sales are down. The Vette and its numbers, and drivability and cost, and the Jag F series, and it numbers, have cut into the now 4 year old 911 design. I think more than who is on this site, and our likes or dislikes, that is going to drive HP, not logic but sales. Porsche wants (VW wants) to be bigger and sell more cars. Sticking to the "we are better at lower power" will likely fail unless the masses agree - and unfortunately, that is unlikely - sometimes more is just ... well ... more.

Drive what you love. For me, it is a 911, and a 10 year old Mustang!

Last edited by AG991; 05-28-2015 at 03:53 PM. Reason: typo(s)
Old 05-28-2015, 05:03 PM
chuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud ofchuckbdc has much to be proud of
Porsche has never dominated horsepower wars. It has excelled in real world usability, all around performance and best in class quality and reliability. My guess is that less weight and more torque will keep it right in the sweet spot.