1st BIG road trip in the 991!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-23-2015, 07:46 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
1st BIG road trip in the 991!!!

The wifey and I headed out this morning for a week long +, 3,000 mile road trip! We are headed up to the North Carolina mountains to partake in the Blue Ridge Boxster Summit 2015. ( http://www.brbs.org/ ) It's about a 900 mile trip up, then another 900 home, and we figure we will be driving the entire week along the Blue Ridge Parkway and areas for another 1,000 miles or so!

We are very excited! I will update this thread with some pictures and additional info as to what we have been doing on this epic adventure of ours!

So far the trip has been good, the coolant fault warning not withstanding-started another thread on that, and I have been really enjoying driving this scalpel of a driving machine! It's nice to have an adequately powered, lightweight vehicle to drive that has no problem zipping along and passes when necessary...effortlessly! LOVING IT!

Oh, yeah, I got 28.05MPG on the first leg of the trip. Mostly interstate running around 80-82 MPH. These things are awesome! And incredible MPG too!!!

In Savanah, GA for the night and we head out tomorrow morning to get to the cabin in NC.

See ya!

Old 05-24-2015, 01:49 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Have fun. I know you will with the roads up there in North Carolina. The best roads are visited early in the morning and not on a Saturday.

Old 05-24-2015, 07:01 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Thanks Chup!

We left Savanah around 0820 this morning. Light traffic, great weather. Got up to the cabin around 230 or so this afternoon. BEAUTIFUL day...sunny, breezy, no humidity and about 77 degrees. Perfect!

We had such a blast on some of the roads coming up here...the wifey usually gets car sick, however, she did not in the 911...she was hooting and having a blast along with me! The FVD exhaust was sounding bad @ss bouncing off of the mountains on these roads! Yeah!

More updates to come...

Old 05-24-2015, 07:56 PM
Some pics from today after we arrived at the cabin.

And the neighborhood had some nice flags and things out in some of the garden areas for Memorial Day! Very nice!

Last edited by Sizzle Chest; 05-24-2015 at 07:58 PM.
Old 05-25-2015, 01:13 AM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Looks like you guys are having fun! Nothing like driving this thing on long routes. Enjoy, drive safe and keep us posted.

Old 05-25-2015, 08:54 PM
Another fantastic day today!!! Weather was awesome, so we got up and got onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and headed up to the top of Mt. Mitchell! Made a few new friends while at the top...a super sweet 1965 911 and a 1957 356 showed up too!

Headed up to the summit and looked around, checked out the views and then back to the Parkway to a town called Spruce Pine for some lunch! Topped off with fuel and cruised the parkway a little more. Back to the cabin for some dinner and a little after-dinner walk, back home, a nice cocktail on the deck...and that's a wrap for today!

Will post up more later on!

Name:  Nice%20shot_zpsagd3iseg.jpg
Views: 308
Size:  4.89 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%202_zpswf553vvl.jpg
Views: 321
Size:  4.97 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot_zpszb9vrzes.jpg
Views: 320
Size:  4.89 MB

Entrance to the park:

Name:  Nice%20shot%203_zpsjs0jqjiw.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  4.77 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%204_zpsurgqhqgg.jpg
Views: 341
Size:  4.99 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%2011_zpskgjdczny.jpg
Views: 305
Size:  4.78 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%2013_zpszcoz8ky9.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  4.68 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%2012_zpsmtpagxzy.jpg
Views: 314
Size:  4.65 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%2014_zpsjwe2sju4.jpg
Views: 332
Size:  4.75 MB

Highest peak east of the Mississippi:

Name:  Nice%20shot%205_zps31xebw15.jpg
Views: 327
Size:  4.97 MB

Some views from the top:
Name:  Nice%20shot%206_zpsvznytffx.jpg
Views: 324
Size:  4.61 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%207_zpsgpnzpaul.jpg
Views: 309
Size:  5.11 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%208_zpstktrsawc.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  4.67 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%209_zpsk7ht8wkt.jpg
Views: 316
Size:  4.19 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%2010_zpschnlusxv.jpg
Views: 294
Size:  4.66 MB

On the way back down:

Name:  Nice%20shot%2016_zpsitoqmch3.jpg
Size:  4.69 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%2015_zpsfw0ygnpp.jpg
Views: 291
Size:  4.90 MB

One of my favorite shots!
Name:  Nice%20shot%2017_zps1pjpoin5.jpg
Views: 333
Size:  4.83 MB

Spruce Pine lunchtime! Hef's is a great place to grab a bite!

Name:  Nice%20shot%2021_zpscpm0xgnp.jpg
Size:  4.68 MB

Downtown Spruce Pine by the RR tracks

Name:  Nice%20shot%2023_zpsifj6equa.jpg
Views: 301
Size:  4.83 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%2018_zpsuebqjxes.jpg
Views: 317
Size:  4.77 MB

Name:  Nice%20shot%2020_zpsscgsdnui.jpg
Size:  4.76 MB

Hope everyone is enjoying this!!

Old 05-26-2015, 11:50 AM
allen is on a distinguished road
Absolutely!

We enjoyed BRBS in 2010 and 2011. Great time, wonderful roads. Please keep the action comming!

Old 05-26-2015, 12:25 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Looks like great times. Beautiful pics. Enjoy!

Old 05-26-2015, 02:28 PM
Thanks again all!

allen, this will be our first time attending and we are looking forward to it!

Update for today 5/26/2015:

I've never driven this car so hard before...Florida is too flat! It is such a capable machine. I am only 'nervous' when I think I am going into a turn too hot...for a split second, then the car is like, "yeah, I got this!". So great to be able to do that. So much FUN!

Didn't do much today, had plumbing issue and was waiting on the plumber for longer than I anticipated. I enjoyed it though! Sat out on the deck, had a snack and read some car mags! Gonna grill up some dinner here in an hour or so and then retire to the fire pit for a while and then watch some TV...and then see what tomorrow has in store!

Later all!

Old 05-26-2015, 05:25 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Awesome pics, looks like you're having a blast and getting some superb driving in too! Enjoy!

Old 05-26-2015, 06:17 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Nice pics Scott! Have fun, drive carefully, and if you get stopped, call me

Old 05-26-2015, 06:41 PM
Thanks guys! We are having FUN! LOL

Ken...no worries, I will! Haha!

Old 05-26-2015, 10:48 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Awesome updates, Sizz! Keep em comin.

Old 05-27-2015, 05:58 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
Thanks again all!
Didn't do much today, had plumbing issue and was waiting on the plumber for longer than I anticipated. I enjoyed it though! Sat out on the deck, had a snack and read some car mags! Gonna grill up some dinner here in an hour or so and then retire to the fire pit for a while and then watch some TV...and then see what tomorrow has in store

Later all!
Life's good!

Old 05-27-2015, 05:59 PM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Nothing like curves and inclines Scott for our cars Being from New England I can feel the fun...

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 1st BIG road trip in the 991!!!