911 S of 911 Turbo?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-24-2015, 09:10 AM
MJJ
MJJ is on a distinguished road
911 S of 911 Turbo?

Looking to purchase a 911. Trying to decide which one is the best car for me. I realize this is very subjective but I am curious if any of you had this question and what you landed on.

This will be occasional daily, weekend fun toy. Closest road course is several hours away so that will be a rare event if ever.

Currently have two high HP straightline muscle cars that are fun to drive but are traction limited to say the least. Both are convertibles to boot.

I am looking for a very balanced handling car that still can give me a thrill when I step on the gas pedal. Is the torque enough in the S model enough or do you just have to keep it higher in the rpm range?

Old 05-24-2015, 11:48 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by MJJ
Is the torque enough in the S model enough or do you just have to keep it higher in the rpm range?
Higher RPM's. A bit sluggish down low but the car is fast. TT is a torque monster but not as connected as a NA flat 6. You should really drive them and decide. Tough to spend 100-175K on the internet.....

Old 05-24-2015, 11:56 AM
MJJ
Originally Posted by Michael_s
Higher RPM's. A bit sluggish down low but the car is fast. TT is a torque monster but not as connected as a NA flat 6. You should really drive them and decide. Tough to spend 100-175K on the internet.....
Connected is what I am looking for in the next car. Thanks for the feedback.

A cayman gt4 would also be a consideration but the supply is short and waiting list is long.

Old 05-24-2015, 01:18 PM
sanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud ofsanchezdds has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by MJJ
Looking to purchase a 911. Trying to decide which one is the best car for me. I realize this is very subjective but I am curious if any of you had this question and what you landed on.

This will be occasional daily, weekend fun toy. Closest road course is several hours away so that will be a rare event if ever.

Currently have two high HP straightline muscle cars that are fun to drive but are traction limited to say the least. Both are convertibles to boot.

I am looking for a very balanced handling car that still can give me a thrill when I step on the gas pedal. Is the torque enough in the S model enough or do you just have to keep it higher in the rpm range?
911 S would be my pick. I have owned the TT and the TTS and while they are amazing cars, they do not have the same thrill factor as the NA engine. The sound of TT is blah imo. I ended up selling and then going with a GT3 RS. Now this car was amazing to drive. A real drivers car1

I have sold the GT3 and ordered a 991 GTS. The GT3 was amazing, but I want more of a practical car and I think the GTS falls in between the S model and the GT3 in terms of feel.

Old 05-26-2015, 12:23 AM
cephas is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by MJJ
Connected is what I am looking for in the next car. Thanks for the feedback.

A cayman gt4 would also be a consideration but the supply is short and waiting list is long.
GT3 is for you

Old 05-26-2015, 12:07 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I have had a few TT's myself and can't remember anything I did not like about them except the exhaust sound and that was quickly remedied by Europipe. As far as feeling connected, all I can say is the TT and TTS are the easiest cars to drive fast and stuck to the road like tree sap. Never felt disconnected from the car at all, nor was it a harsh drive on normal roads. A civilized beast of a car.

I will have another when I decide if I can make the switch to PDK or will have to go with a 997 TT to get there.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:29 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
I've driven both a 991 C2S and a 991 TT (my current ride), and in my view, the C2S feels more connected, more tossable, and is the more fun car to drive. Sure, the TT is insanely fast (and I mean absolutely nuts fast), but it feels a bit sterile, I'd have to say, in comparison to the C2S. The TT also comes more alive high in the rev range, and with a 520 HP car, that equals insanely fast and quite illegal speeds. Given all of that and the fact that I really miss my MT, I'm trading in my TT and have an order on a '16 GTS (with the 7MT, of course). But the best advice I can give you is to drive them both and experience the differences for yourself.

Old 05-26-2015, 05:49 PM
MJJ
Originally Posted by eg991
I've driven both a 991 C2S and a 991 TT (my current ride), and in my view, the C2S feels more connected, more tossable, and is the more fun car to drive. Sure, the TT is insanely fast (and I mean absolutely nuts fast), but it feels a bit sterile, I'd have to say, in comparison to the C2S. The TT also comes more alive high in the rev range, and with a 520 HP car, that equals insanely fast and quite illegal speeds. Given all of that and the fact that I really miss my MT, I'm trading in my TT and have an order on a '16 GTS (with the 7MT, of course). But the best advice I can give you is to drive them both and experience the differences for yourself.
Thanks for the feedback. I am going to go with the C2S.

I already have a 775hp Shelby which is stupid fast in a straight line but is not built for corner carving. If you nail it in 3rd gear you have 1-2 seconds of fun before you are at risk of imprisionment and complete loss of license. 2nd gear just blows the tires off the car.

Old 05-27-2015, 06:20 AM
mikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the roughmikegee is a jewel in the rough
I have been lucky enough to have had an s, a GT3, a turbo s, a GTS and a cayman r and and boxer Spyder. The cayman was by far the best handling comparable to the GT3. If I had some high horsepower cars already, I'd wait in line for a cayman GT4. I test drove one of those and it was awesome!. My Turbo S was wasted money as there are few and far between driving days for that Beast. The Boxter Spyder was a thrill to drive as well, but underpowered. My present GTS hits the sweet spot for me, but I do like that Cayman Gt4.

But like they said--you gotta drive before you decide.

Old 05-27-2015, 10:28 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
This is a great thread. My 2013 C4S lease is up 6/21. Just made the last payment last week. The car has 16700 miles and each and every one was amazing and without any significant problems. Started every time, never had heat problem like others, no engine delay like others, etc. Simply a fantastic car. But, having had a 997 Turbo, I can't get the thought out of my head that I want a 991 Turbo next, knowing that the power of the TT is a complete waste. I commute from NNJ to NYC everyday and a TT is just a waste... but does that really matter when it comes to the "car disease" that I suffer from?

Clearly the better move would be to buy my car. The price including taxes is 99K. While I could do better on another car, I know the history of my car and that's worth a lot (to me).

But, I'm still looking at TT's plus other options... 50/50 chance I turn the car in and make a change simply to make a change. However, it makes so much sense to buy my perfect 991 C4S which is pretty loaded with an original MSRP of 132K.

When I look at other non-P car options, its a small list with really no competitors. List as follows:

1) M3/M4 - Im not 25
2) Jag F type - no chance
3) Corvette - not for me. don't love the looks.
4) Other used options due to price. R8 (old), etc.

So, I'm very confused and running out of time.... but to stay on topic, the 991S is a fantastic car and really makes a lot of sense for so many reasons.

Last edited by Michael_s; 05-27-2015 at 11:55 AM.
Old 05-27-2015, 11:48 AM
Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !Johnny DB Is a GOD !
Michael_s,

Since you've had a 997TT, test drive the 991TT/S. You'll definitely notice it's faster but I thought it was too refined. I decided to stick with my 997TT and put the extra $100K to better use.

Old 05-27-2015, 04:33 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
I'm curious if they will continue to build the 991 GTS beyond late 2016 since the 991.2 is coming out...gonna get interesting.

Old 05-30-2015, 05:23 PM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
I testdrove a 991 TT recently. It has massive power, that kind off overwhelms the experience. But when you let that all settle down in your head, what I remember was a very "floaty" car. Was it overpowered, was it the 4x4, was it the damp streets, I don't know ? But it was nowhere near as composed as my NA car ! Problem is with that kind of one trick pony, you soon get bored or used to the one trick ! It's massively fast, but it's not a drivers car. Maybe another testdrive will prove me wrong, but for now, turbo, no thanks ...

Old 05-30-2015, 06:59 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I had 2 996 and 2 997 turbos. Never found them floaty instead grounded and tight to the road. Have not driven a 991 turbo yet. But can't imagine it isn't glued to the road.

Old 05-30-2015, 07:14 PM
cephas is on a distinguished road
I drove both MC and the TTS, and they are both very stick to ground....

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 S of 911 Turbo?