GTS Build Questions and Advice

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 12:22 AM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Arrow GTS Build Questions and Advice

I'm considering a few GTSs around town, as well as the option of placing an order for one. I'd appreciate it if you guys chimed in (especially GTS owners) and let me know what you think.

One car I'm considering at the moment:

2015 GTS (White, 7 Speed Manual):
088 - GTS Communication package
651 - Electric slide/tilt sunroof
GQ - Black leather interior incl. Alcantara Package GTS Carmine Red
P07 - Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
P3F - Premium Package i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
P3H - BOSE® Audio Package

1. The build itself is decent, but it's missing two things that I really wanted: LEDs in Black, and Premium Package Plus (I can always get springs for PASM Sport, and Sunroof in Black isn't a huge dealbreaker). I can live with no LEDs, as PDLS in black isn't bad at all.
    However, Premium Package PLUS comes with Porsche Entry and Drive, and it *just* hit me that this car doesn't seem to come with it! Can anyone confirm this? And if so, is there any way to retrofit Entry & Drive? I'd really prefer not to lose this feature, especially since my 991S has it.
  2. Are there any other options that are absolute "musts" on this car? GTS owners, do you regret not ordering (or maybe overly worrying) about an option? I keep comparing this to my current 911 to make sure I'm not missing something major here. I'd hate to pick up the car and then have an "oh my god" moment.
  3. Any other suggestions before I seal the deal?

Thanks!

Old 06-19-2015, 02:52 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Yes, you would have to move up to the Plus to get Entry and Drive. This is one feature that I could not do without as I had it in my last Pcar and went out of the way to order again. There are mixed reviews about the LEDs, some love it, others say that it is not worth the extra coin. For me, I decided against it, was not worth the money to me. Considered PDCC? What is the GTS Communication Package? Other than that, I think the build is great.

Old 06-19-2015, 03:57 AM
hinckley will become famous soon enough
I'm in the camp that LEDs are no big deal. They do not provide significantly better lighting, so you're paying $3k for the "cool factor". I do think that they look a bit better than the Xenons when you compare them side-by-side, but the Xenons look great stand-alone.

Entry and Drive is nice. I have it and am glad I do. But honestly, I wish that Porsche had implemented it like everyone else - with a button. I understand why they didn't, but needing to turn a faux key does reduce Entry and Drive's usefulness for me. All in all, I could easily live without it.

The two things that I like are sunroof in glass (but that's a very personal thing), and PASM Sport, which if nothing else, makes the car look so much better imo.

Old 06-19-2015, 12:02 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Thanks, guys. So torn over this car. I was about to pull the trigger until I realized that Entry & Drive was only on the Plus package.

I'm assuming a retrofit isn't possible? (door handles would be involved, etc.)

Old 06-19-2015, 01:16 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Don't know, but I somehow doubt it, and t if it were, probably be expensive I would think. Call a dealer and ask them.

Old 06-21-2015, 05:58 PM
chance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to beholdchance6 is a splendid one to behold
This is funny timing, I *think* I just bought and secured a white 2015 GTS yesterday. My current Turbo has the LED headlights in black. My $0.02 is that LED daytime running lights look cool, but in the end, the lighting isn't a big improvement. They say that LED's improve driver fatigue...well, maybe. But my last 991 had regular bi-xenons with PDLS and I thought they were great.

This new GTS does have Entry and Drive- an option I never even liked or even considered until my Panny Turbo. It is nice, but it's another thing that could go wrong, I guess.

LOVE the sunroof in glass- love it. To me it looks great on a white car. I'm a big alcantara fan so GTS makes sense for me.

I had a nice discussion with the Tech too: his 0.02 on PDCC is that on a GTS it's not really necessary, unless you track it A LOT, and decide not to go with Porsche Motorsport anti-sway adjustable bars. PDCC does add weight and hydraulic lines. VERY hard for me to detect much body roll on the GTS with the added rear track.

On a Cayenne or a Panamera, I strongly advise FOR PDCC as those cars need it to remain sorted. My biggest regret on my Turbo.

Old 06-21-2015, 07:03 PM
Originally Posted by chance6
This is funny timing, I *think* I just bought and secured a white 2015 GTS yesterday. My current Turbo has the LED headlights in black. My $0.02 is that LED daytime running lights look cool, but in the end, the lighting isn't a big improvement. They say that LED's improve driver fatigue...well, maybe. But my last 991 had regular bi-xenons with PDLS and I thought they were great.

This new GTS does have Entry and Drive- an option I never even liked or even considered until my Panny Turbo. It is nice, but it's another thing that could go wrong, I guess.

LOVE the sunroof in glass- love it. To me it looks great on a white car. I'm a big alcantara fan so GTS makes sense for me.

I had a nice discussion with the Tech too: his 0.02 on PDCC is that on a GTS it's not really necessary, unless you track it A LOT, and decide not to go with Porsche Motorsport anti-sway adjustable bars. PDCC does add weight and hydraulic lines. VERY hard for me to detect much body roll on the GTS with the added rear track.

On a Cayenne or a Panamera, I strongly advise FOR PDCC as those cars need it to remain sorted. My biggest regret on my Turbo.
Damn it, chance. I think you just secured one of the cars that I have a build sheet for!

The lack of Entry and Drive on some of these GTSs kills me. I can't imagine why Porsche won't make this a standard option, nor why they'd refuse to let you spec a car with it (it's only coupled with PPP). Even so, I'm trying to convince myself that I shouldn't let a discounted GTS opportunity fly away based on a single option like this.

LEDs... I feel the same way. Not something I'll miss. Nor is PDCC. I track my cars often, and I love the way my 991S without it feels. I've driven a PDK 991S with PDCC at Willow Springs, but I didn't notice THAT big of a difference to justify the options.

Let me know if you get that GTS!

Old 06-22-2015, 07:05 AM
rayt2448 will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
I'm considering a few GTSs around town, as well as the option of placing an order for one. I'd appreciate it if you guys chimed in (especially GTS owners) and let me know what you think.

One car I'm considering at the moment:

2015 GTS (White, 7 Speed Manual):
088 - GTS Communication package
651 - Electric slide/tilt sunroof
GQ - Black leather interior incl. Alcantara Package GTS Carmine Red
P07 - Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way) with Memory Package
P3F - Premium Package i.c.w. Adaptive Sport Seats Plus (18-way)
P3H - BOSE® Audio Package

1. The build itself is decent, but it's missing two things that I really wanted: LEDs in Black, and Premium Package Plus (I can always get springs for PASM Sport, and Sunroof in Black isn't a huge dealbreaker). I can live with no LEDs, as PDLS in black isn't bad at all.
    However, Premium Package PLUS comes with Porsche Entry and Drive, and it *just* hit me that this car doesn't seem to come with it! Can anyone confirm this? And if so, is there any way to retrofit Entry & Drive? I'd really prefer not to lose this feature, especially since my 991S has it.
  2. Are there any other options that are absolute "musts" on this car? GTS owners, do you regret not ordering (or maybe overly worrying) about an option? I keep comparing this to my current 911 to make sure I'm not missing something major here. I'd hate to pick up the car and then have an "oh my god" moment.
  3. Any other suggestions before I seal the deal?

Thanks!
i ordered the same car but switched to TARGA when my car GTS came in they did a martini strip pac it sold in minutes the white is always right and 7 speed is great

Old 09-29-2015, 11:35 PM
pandawest is on a distinguished road
Going back to a 911 after owning a 2010 Panamera Turbo for a few years. Sorry to bring up an old thread but I liked the previous posts and its GTS related with owners subscribed.
Considering a 2015 GTS and have a few general questions. I am one of those guys that wanted a GT3 a few years back and researched ways to add back seats...but found a good deal on a fully optioned 2010 PTT with a trailer hitch (kidding) so I thought I'd try that for a bit. It's still a great car but during a warranty fix the dealer gave me a base 991 as loaner and I remembered why the 911 is so special. It was so happy to rev and the sound from even a base 991 carrera? Better than my PTT with all the fabspeed exhaust goodies in my opinion. My last 911 was a 997 S.

Questions:
- who drives their GTS daily? which I plan to do, wife drives the kid and boat hauler so no issue there. I've had a few 911 daily drivers and used them in heavy rain, snow, ice, doesn't matter...but the GTS is a special animal.
- 911 GTS's of any kind are rare up here in Canada...you can no longer order them new, and dealers are saying its the last non-turbo GTS cars so values will hold more than other 991 variants...not sure if that's dealer talk or true - want to hear some non-biased opinions.
- The GTS I am looking at has the PASM sport with the Aerocup kit - does anyone with this combo have issues over speed bumps or other?
- Anyone add winter tires to their centerlock wheels?
- The GTS I am looking at does NOT have entry and drive...my PTT has it and its nice to leave the key in pocket but you still have to turn a dummy key...

Thanks

Old 09-30-2015, 01:05 AM
Originally Posted by pandawest
Going back to a 911 after owning a 2010 Panamera Turbo for a few years. Sorry to bring up an old thread but I liked the previous posts and its GTS related with owners subscribed.
Considering a 2015 GTS and have a few general questions. I am one of those guys that wanted a GT3 a few years back and researched ways to add back seats...but found a good deal on a fully optioned 2010 PTT with a trailer hitch (kidding) so I thought I'd try that for a bit. It's still a great car but during a warranty fix the dealer gave me a base 991 as loaner and I remembered why the 911 is so special. It was so happy to rev and the sound from even a base 991 carrera? Better than my PTT with all the fabspeed exhaust goodies in my opinion. My last 911 was a 997 S.

Questions:
- who drives their GTS daily? which I plan to do, wife drives the kid and boat hauler so no issue there. I've had a few 911 daily drivers and used them in heavy rain, snow, ice, doesn't matter...but the GTS is a special animal.

I drive my 991S daily through LA traffic, and I plan to do the same with the GTS. It's quite similar to a 991, and only a tad bit stiffer and lower because of the Sport Design front bumper. I'm not sure about driving 911s in snow, ice, etc., but plenty of people sound like they do it without problems. Keep in mind that the GTS can be obtained in a "4" trim, too, so AWD is an option.

- 911 GTS's of any kind are rare up here in Canada...you can no longer order them new, and dealers are saying its the last non-turbo GTS cars so values will hold more than other 991 variants...not sure if that's dealer talk or true - want to hear some non-biased opinions.

True that GTS models are being phased out (as the 991.2 is incoming). Dealers are super quick to play the "oh so rare" card in order to get you to purchase one without a discount. But, if you really take the time to look around (like I did over summer... over two months to be exact!), then you'll find a good amount sitting around dealerships. I do believe that it will hold value more than other 991.1 variants, but I honestly don't expect it to be a "classic" car that will appreciate like crazy anytime soon. I ordered one because it's the last NA 911 and I'd love to have a piece of history in my garage.

- The GTS I am looking at has the PASM sport with the Aerocup kit - does anyone with this combo have issues over speed bumps or other?

PASM Sport lowers the car 10mm, and I've driven back to back models with and without the option. I don't think it makes a huge difference in terms of driveway clearance. That said, the AeroKit lip will decrease clearance even more. If driveways are a problem, you may need to do an angled approach every time you enter/leave one. Hell, my previous car was lowered and had a front lip, but I managed to clear 90% of driveways just by angling my entrance and exit.

In terms of speed bumps, I doubt it'll be an issue.

- Anyone add winter tires to their centerlock wheels?

Can't comment on this, but I don't see why it would be a problem as long as the tires are the correct size.

- The GTS I am looking at does NOT have entry and drive...my PTT has it and its nice to leave the key in pocket but you still have to turn a dummy key...

I passed on a 2015 GTS, and one of the reasons I did so was the lack of Premium Package Plus. There were a couple of other issues as well, but I realized that I really wanted entry & drive, especially after having it on my 2013 991S. You really do get used to it. Don't get me started on how ridiculous a $100,000+ car without keyless entry is.

You're correct in the dummy key; it is somewhat tacky, especially when non-Porsche people see the dummy and ask about it. But I'm used to it and wouldn't have it any other way.

Thanks

Hey Panda. See my answers inline above.

Old 09-30-2015, 03:44 AM
Michael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant futureMichael_s has a brilliant future
Entry and drive, or lack thereof, would not stop me. No vent seats, that's another story.

Old 09-30-2015, 04:40 PM
Thanks for the information. I do agree that its 2015, anything north of 100K should have keyless entry by now.

Dealer refuses to discount the GTS very much at all because its a GTS...its dealer talk but I don't think any future 911 with turbos will sound quite the same as this naturally aspirated 3.8L, they know that and are happy to play you the sound clips.

Old 09-30-2015, 06:00 PM
Green Hornet has a spectacular aura aboutGreen Hornet has a spectacular aura about
Chris -

I recently found myself is a very similar situation. My dealer got a beautiful new GTS in white even. It was missing a few options I would like to have had. I bought it anyway. I quickly realized that some items are nice but you don't miss them for long in such a fantastic car. Also it was so much better financially to take the car off the lot versus ordering one.

One thing for sure - don't miss out on getting a GTS they won't be available for long.

Either way good luck.

Old 10-02-2015, 01:29 AM
moje911 is on a distinguished road
On my first build I just got PDLS thinking a >$100k car would have auto high beams.
Wrong! I didn't read the description well.

Unfortunately I didn't realize in time for my second build.
If you are ever in twisty rural areas, I highly recommend the PDLS+ for the auto high beams.

Old 10-02-2015, 09:53 AM
Interesting. I recreated the build on the car I am looking at and produced a Porsche code to see all the options in detail. I don't think auto high beams were even an option for 2015 cars? And I do not know how they work. In some weather situations high beams reduce your visibility...at least the high beams I am used to.

Full LED headlights incl. Porsche Dynamic Light System Plus (PDLS +)

Lighting Systems
• Bi-Xenon headlights including Porsche Dynamic Light System (PDLS) with dynamic range adjustment, dynamic bending light and headlight cleaning system.All components in GTS specific black finish
• Separate auxiliary lights in the front end with indicators and daytime running lights and position lights (LED)
• LED taillights including reversing lights, rear fog light, direction indicators, high-level third brake light and license plate
illumination
• Driving light assistant including "Welcome Home" lighting
• LED reading lights, orientation, ignition lock and vanity mirror lighting. Also includes footwell, glove compartment,
luggage compartment and exit courtesy lighting
• Electrically adjustable and heated SportDesign exterior mirrors mounted on the doors, aspherical on driver's side
• Windscreen washer system with aero wiper blades, two wiper speeds, adjustable intermittent wipe and washer jets
• Taillight strip including integral parking lights

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: GTS Build Questions and Advice