My Car Is Broken Already :(

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2015, 07:21 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
My Car Is Broken Already :(

I picked my new to me 2013 C2S up about two weeks ago and there was an ever-so-slight rattle coming from the right rear, somewhere, couldn't figure out exactly where. Over the past few days that rattle has begun to get louder and more frequent but nothing else noticeable with the car.

Today I drove up South Mountain, a short and pretty mellow twisty road just outside of Downtown Phoenix. I definitely did not push the car, but didn't drive slowly either, and on a couple of the tightest corners it sounded as though something was sliding from one side to the other in the rear compartment, but I have nothing in the car at all. On the way home from South Mountain, the rattle was now very loud and very frequent and the car is pulling to the right. This was the first time I've driven the car on anything other than just straight city streets, so it may have jostled something that was already wrong?

Does anyone have an idea what I might be experiencing? I'm thinking tie-bar or strut issue perhaps but I know little about these cars (so far). The car is CPO so I can take it in and have them look at it but I'm curious in the mean time and enjoy speculating I suppose.

Thank you, John.

Old 06-28-2015, 08:44 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Sorry to hear of your troubles!
As you stated this is a CPO car the good news is that you should be covered for any repairs.
Any idea of the history of the car? Meaning was the car modified at one point, then returned to normal at the end of a lease or trade-in? Reason I say that is I've heard of a case where a car was returned with the strut mount nuts not torqued properly and there was a rattle and thumping coming from the strut tower. If loose enough the strut could have been moving around a bit which I guess might aound like sliding... Turned out the previous owner had installed a lowering spring set and removed it at trade in.
The CPO process doesn't include measuring torque on every connection point, so this could easily happen.
Aside from that it could be other bits that are loose. But pulling to the right sounds dangerous to me, so I wouldn't drive it if I were you as it could get much worse and be damaging other stuff.
Good luck and keep us posted!

Old 06-28-2015, 12:26 PM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Sorry to hear of problem. A couple of questions:
1. Is the rattle at a constant RPM. There is a well documented tin like sound coming from the rear right that occurs at 3200-3300 rpm.
2. The pulling to the right - is it on braking or coasting or acceleration or is it all three?

Frank C.

Old 06-28-2015, 05:23 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
The car is SPASM and PDCC, so while still possible, I'd think it unlikely any suspension modifications have ever been made - why bother?

The rattle is not at a constant RPM, and it's only when I am on poor pavement. Even on decent pavement it's not there. I'll play more with different engine speeds later or tomorrow.

The pulling is under acceleration as well as coasting, have not noticed while braking, but I haven't really paid any attention.

Old 06-29-2015, 02:11 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Vicelord
The car is SPASM and PDCC, so while still possible, I'd think it unlikely any suspension modifications have ever been made - why bother? The rattle is not at a constant RPM, and it's only when I am on poor pavement. Even on decent pavement it's not there. I'll play more with different engine speeds later or tomorrow. The pulling is under acceleration as well as coasting, have not noticed while braking, but I haven't really paid any attention.
Don't screw around with it, get it in and looked at before more damage is done.

Old 06-29-2015, 05:19 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
The rattle doesn't worry me as much as the pulling to one side... I would stop driving until you can get this looked at.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:01 AM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Get it looked at ASAP.

Old 06-29-2015, 09:12 AM
Thanks guys, I'll drive the WRX this week and take the 991 in to the shop. The pull isn't bad, not like I'm fighting it or anything, it's just when I let go of the wheel it starts to track right after a couple of seconds. If it's a road that isn't domed or arcs to the left I can get the car to track straight. It's minimal enough I think the dealer might laugh at me.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:42 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
Sorry to hear about the issue are having, get it fixed and take it on a proper run up South Mountain, that is a great drive!

Old 06-30-2015, 06:47 PM
@vividracing yes it is but as a cyclist and bike racer I'm a little sensitive to people flying up that road in cars. I don't want to be the jerk I get upset with, you know?

Old 06-30-2015, 06:50 PM
Former Vendor
vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !vividracing Is a GOD !
@vividracing yes it is but as a cyclist and bike racer I'm a little sensitive to people flying up that road in cars. I don't want to be the jerk I get upset with, you know?
That is true, definitely better to play it safe on that road. It is better in the middle of the summer since nobody wants to leave their house in the heat. Even then, it is a dangerous road. I always think of that M3 video where some kid missed a turn and more than likely totaled his car.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:53 PM
Yes! And I ride my bike over that spot 3x a week where he crashed it, still makes me laugh every time.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:57 PM
Former Vendor
Yes! And I ride my bike over that spot 3x a week where he crashed it, still makes me laugh every time.
Nice! haha. I've never biked up there but have hiked up telegraph pass probably 200 times. Come stop in our shop sometime I can show you around.

Old 07-01-2015, 02:00 AM
xleilvparc is on a distinguished road
The CPO process doesn't include measuring torque on every connection point, so this could easily happen.

Old 07-01-2015, 01:54 PM
Compukidd will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
Don't screw around with it, get it in and looked at before more damage is done.
I second Jersey Shore!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: My Car Is Broken Already :(