Recommendation for Video game to practice for track

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-29-2015, 08:17 PM
Pratul is on a distinguished road
Recommendation for Video game to practice for track

I went to Road Atlanta this past weekend and want to start taking my car to the tracks. I am also considering using a video game to practice getting in and out of turns. Do any of you use a video game to practice your techniques? Especially interested in one that has a 911 4S. Actually even a 911 S would do.

Any recommendations?

Attached Images  
Old 06-29-2015, 08:46 PM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
well, not for driving, but for learning a track, I have used Forza on Xbox for daytona and road atlanta. To get any benefit for driving, you definitely need a wheel and pedals, and I would think Gran Turismo on Playstation would be best because they have exercises you have to pass to advance up the skill levels, and they actually can teach you some things.

Old 07-01-2015, 05:55 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
That's like learning how to make love to a woman by looking at photos in Playboy.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:25 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
Old 07-01-2015, 07:27 AM
shumi_9 is on a distinguished road

iRacing...I built a $10K simulator which runs on IRacing and on a 90" screen, it looks and feels awsome. You have got to be committed to the effort (labor and resources) to be able to get something that can help you master the track.

Last edited by shumi_9; 07-01-2015 at 07:31 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 07:34 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
That is pretty darn awesome Shumi !

Old 07-01-2015, 08:55 AM
Smile

Originally Posted by drcollie
That's like learning how to make love to a woman by looking at photos in Playboy.
That is funny but does make sense.

Old 07-01-2015, 08:57 AM
Originally Posted by shumi_9

iRacing...I built a $10K simulator which runs on IRacing and on a 90" screen, it looks and feels awsome. You have got to be committed to the effort (labor and resources) to be able to get something that can help you master the track.
That looks awesome!! Wish I could afford that.

Old 07-01-2015, 09:00 AM

Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
That is pretty darn awesome Shumi !

Thanks man. It was a year long project (part time)...it exceeded my expectations. I race open wheel and also Porsche RUFs RT-12 on many national and international tracks.

Last edited by shumi_9; 07-01-2015 at 09:04 AM.
Old 07-02-2015, 07:24 PM
Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !Fester Is a GOD !
Awesome stuff guys yet I'm utterly confused ... The video games/simulators help with actual track driving? This is the first time I'm hearing this ...

Shumi what a great setup...I'd love to hear more from you, ie how does this really help
Improve your track driving skills...

Old 07-03-2015, 04:35 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Fester
Awesome stuff guys yet I'm utterly confused ... The video games/simulators help with actual track driving? This is the first time I'm hearing this ...

Shumi what a great setup...I'd love to hear more from you, ie how does this really help
Improve your track driving skills...
+1.

I track often, but I also race a hell of a lot more using PC sims, console games (Forza), etc. The only thing that sims and games can really, really help out with is memorizing the track, certain braking points, turns, and just the overall look and feel of a track. I've driven the Ring on Forza games for hundreds of hours, and I know the track like the back of my hand.

However, and it's a BIG however... There is absolutely nothing that will prep you for the moment you hit a real track and start doing laps. There's a huge disconnect between driving in a video game, and actually doing laps, feeling the G forces, the pressure from braking/accelerating, etc.

F1 drivers spend countless hours in racing simulators, yet they're still surprised by their practice and qualifying sessions when they are doing actual hot laps on the track itself.

So, my $0.02: use games to learn the track, but don't expect it to turn into Schumacher overnight.

Mayyybe Maldonado...Maybe.

Old 07-03-2015, 04:44 PM
Former Vendor
BlackMarketRacing will become famous soon enoughBlackMarketRacing will become famous soon enough
We built an awesome simulator for the shop that we use mostly for prize packs during dyno events, fastest lap wins.

I have heard of people using games like that to learn the layout of the track before they go in real life. But nothing will ever make up for the experience you get real world and on the actual track.

Old 07-04-2015, 09:37 AM
Originally Posted by Christophosphorus
+1.

F1 drivers spend countless hours in racing simulators, yet they're still surprised by their practice and qualifying sessions when they are doing actual hot laps on the track itself.

Mayyybe Maldonado...Maybe.

F1 simulators are virtually identical to the real cars as stated by F1 pilots. That is why they spend so much time using them. We will never experience driving one, so we'll have to trust their words. They spend thousands of hours in these cockpits to simulate EVERYTHING...even the affect of different types of fuels.
Racing skills can be improved assuming your simulator can do this:
1) Simulate vibrations, Gforces, etc... with proven racing physics models
2)Have Realistic tire and engine models
3)Utilize Laser scanned racetracks
4)Have Realistic graphics
5) Have Force feedback for steering and pedals
6)Utilize sophisticated car set up models

Mine is a cheap compromise. You can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on this stuff.
Mine is based on a realisitc F1 cockpit with F1 style steering wheel (force feedback) and pedals. FOV is close to 1:1 with 1080p projector. I have tactile feedback on each corner to simulate physics based vibrations, but can not simulate G forces (would cost roughly another $10k).
I do use my sim to learn tracks and to improve throttle/break application pressures. I use Iracing for all of my tracks and cars. Their tracks are very accurate. I raced Lime Rock with Skip Barber Formula some time ago and Iracing duplicates the track to the smallest bump.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:27 PM
Christophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to beholdChristophosphorus is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by shumi_9
F1 simulators are virtually identical to the real cars as stated by F1 pilots. That is why they spend so much time using them. We will never experience driving one, so we'll have to trust their words. They spend thousands of hours in these cockpits to simulate EVERYTHING...even the affect of different types of fuels.
Racing skills can be improved assuming your simulator can do this:
1) Simulate vibrations, Gforces, etc... with proven racing physics models
2)Have Realistic tire and engine models
3)Utilize Laser scanned racetracks
4)Have Realistic graphics
5) Have Force feedback for steering and pedals
6)Utilize sophisticated car set up models

Mine is a cheap compromise. You can spend hundreds of thousands of dollars on this stuff.
Mine is based on a realisitc F1 cockpit with F1 style steering wheel (force feedback) and pedals. FOV is close to 1:1 with 1080p projector. I have tactile feedback on each corner to simulate physics based vibrations, but can not simulate G forces (would cost roughly another $10k).
I do use my sim to learn tracks and to improve throttle/break application pressures. I use Iracing for all of my tracks and cars. Their tracks are very accurate. I raced Lime Rock with Skip Barber Formula some time ago and Iracing duplicates the track to the smallest bump.

Absolutely agree, and I love your setup. You're correct about all of their simulations helping them with the above-mentioned factors. The use of sims in F1 has been increased to this level mostly because of the ban of practice sessions and car testing. Sims are the next best thing, which is why the drivers spend countless hours training on them.

I need to invest in a proper rig and setup soon. My G25 clamped to my computer desk isn't cutting it anymore.