PSE switch implementation only on C4S

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-30-2015, 12:59 PM
Poluski is on a distinguished road
PSE switch implementation only on C4S

Folks,
I've been doing some research on this forum regarding PSE and other central muffler replacements. I have a 2013 C4S without PSE. It seems to me that one can obtain a PSE switch panel from Porsche and have it installed and reprogrammed to activate the PSE function with a stock "S" center muffler. My reason for doing this is that I actually like the idea of having a stock "S" sound in the quiet mode with valves closed, but also have the option to press the PSE switch and have the valves open on demand or when going into Sport or Sport Plus mode. Down the line I will also have the flexibility to purchase any central pipe from any source (Kline, Tubi, AWE, etc.) and not be tied just to the Porsche central unit. Also, I really don't care to have new chrome tips. Any reason why this would not work?

Old 06-30-2015, 04:25 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
I could easily be wrong, but I thought the PSE exhaust valves were only present on the PSE exhaust, meaning you have to buy/install the valve components as well as install the switch.

Old 06-30-2015, 04:35 PM
The S has the valves on the OEM center muffler. Every morning when I start the car it takes about a minute for them to close.

Old 06-30-2015, 05:56 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I'm not sure I am following the thread yet. I have changed my exhaust to the full Kline exhaust center and side mufflers. The Kline exhaust comes with its own Piersburg (probably misspelled) valves that operate with the original consul switches. Like I said I may not be following the question. The valves are open on a cold start or when you hit approx 4000rpm or when you hit the consul exhaust, sport or sport plus switch.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:19 PM
vaderone is on a distinguished road
I have 4S and did the PSE install. I just bought the center muffler, various parts and the new switch console. The sports exhaust center muffle is lighter and more direct which provide the louder sound.

I don't see why you couldn't buy the replace console module with additional button and have the Porsche Tech reprogram the console it should be able to close and open the button by pressing the PSE button. The tech must reprogram all the buttons on the new console for the system to work properly. My first attempt the tech was lazy and tried to program only the PSE button and it didn't work.

Old 06-30-2015, 06:27 PM
Jersey Shore, let me clarify....
I have a C4S without PSE. That means I do have the center muffler with valves, but I don't have the switch in the center console for controlling the valves. I can buy a PSE upgrade in a kit form which consist of new center muffler (also with valves), new tips, and the control switch for turning the valves on/off when I want. In my research of posts related to PSE, I have found that people have installed the PSE without paying some $800-900 for tips. They just installed the new center muffler and the switch panel and had it reprogrammed at dealer to be activated. Basically to get a PSE for ~$2000 installed. My thought here is to just get the switch panel and be able to operated the valves on stock "S" center section at my whim. Similar to operating the PASM or Sport/Sport Plus modes. Later on I can upgrade to a Kline or similar center section. The PSE switch panel is something like $280. I'll need to contact my dealer about the cost of install and reprogramming. This option would allow you to control your Kline unit when you want to as well. Does that make more sense?

Last edited by Poluski; 06-30-2015 at 06:30 PM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:30 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Poluski
Jersey Shore, let me clarify.... I have a C4S without PSE. That means I do have the center muffler with valves, but I don't have the switch in the center console for controlling the valves. I can buy a PSE upgrade in a kit form which consist of new center muffler (also with valves), new tips, and the control switch for turning the valves on/off when I want. In my research of posts related to PSE, I have found that people have installed the PSE without paying some $800-900 for tips. They just installed the new center muffler and the switch panel and had it reprogrammed at dealer to be activated. Basically to get a PSE for ~$2000 installed. My thought here is to just get the switch panel and be able to operated the valves on stock "S" center section at my whim. Similar to operating the PASM or Sport/Sport Plus modes. Later on I can upgrade to a Kline or similar center section. The PSE switch panel is something like $280. I'll need to contact my dealer about the cost of install and reprogramming. This option would allow you to control your Kline unit when you want to as well. Does that make more sense?
If you don't have PSE why would your center muffler have valves at all.? That's what's confusing me. I don't understand why Porsche would put a muffler with valves (additional cost) on a car not speced with PSE. And why would having PSE installed require new tips? Sorry still confused. I'm not sure you are hearing valves open on a cold start.

I was under the impression that the center muffler on non PSE cars do not have valves. That's why if you want it installed you have to buy new exhaust. Other ways around it like only purchasing a center muffler only or just reprogramming buttons I am not aware of nor does it make much sense.

Last edited by Jersey Shore; 07-01-2015 at 04:35 AM.
Old 07-01-2015, 04:39 AM
GuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the rough
This is an intrigueing concept, I would like to know the answer to this as well. I have a C4s as well. Do they all come with the valves on the center muffler?

Old 07-01-2015, 06:05 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Lots of confusion in this thread. I'll try to help explain....

Standard Carrera (3.4 L) does not come with valves.

All S model Carreras (3.8 L) have the valves to control the sound level from the factory and they operate like this:

Valves are OPEN at start and idle.
Valves CLOSE once you step on the gas and remain closed until appx 3,700 rpm.
Valves are OPEN from 3,700 rpm to redline.

All this is controlled by the onboard computer reacting to vacuum input. Here's what the system looks like in a schematic.

Name:  image003_zps48bd5e59.png
Views: 430
Size:  110.2 KB

So, everything is automatic in every "S" model from the factory. The PSE "switch" allows you to over-ride that closed setting from off-idle to 3,700 rpm if you want it loud, and also to keep it closed from 3,700 rpm if you want to keep it quieter. The PSE switch is integrated into the A/C system buttons and requires 1 hour dealer re-programming to set up, you cannot just pop it into the console and expect it to work.

The PSE exhaust itself is a different center can if you have a stock exhaust. Swap out the center can and you're all set. Add the button or not, the valves will still do their thing if you don't.

Hope that helps explain it some.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:28 AM
GuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the roughGuzziGreg is a jewel in the rough
So all we need is a different center can. Great does it have to be the stock center can or will it work with an aftermarket center can and the button and reprogram?
Many thanks Drcollie that was great.

Old 07-01-2015, 07:53 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GuzziGreg
So all we need is a different center can. Great does it have to be the stock center can or will it work with an aftermarket center can and the button and reprogram?
Many thanks Drcollie that was great.
My pleasure.

Yes, this is the least costly way to get more tone without boom and drone (in my opinion). Just get the Porsche PSE and have them delete the console button if you don't feel the need to over-ride with the on-off. You can jack the car up and install this yourself in 45 minutes. No programming needed and the car will function as in the prior post.

http://www.suncoastparts.com/product...=991SENGINEEXU

Old 07-01-2015, 01:12 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Question on S [3.8L] Base exhaust.
Do the valves open, when in S or S+ mode?

Hate to see someone add the switch and have it not make any difference in S/S+ Mode (other than being able to close the valves).

Old 07-01-2015, 04:29 PM
Thumbs up

EXCELLENT question Lunarx!

Old 07-01-2015, 10:57 PM
Originally Posted by lunarx
Question on S [3.8L] Base exhaust.
Do the valves open, when in S or S+ mode?

Hate to see someone add the switch and have it not make any difference in S/S+ Mode (other than being able to close the valves).
It is my understanding that when in Sport or Sport Plus mode on the 3.8 L engine with base exhaust, the valves open somewhere in mid 3k rpm range. The PSE button opens the valves at any rpm range, even in non Sport or Sport Plus mode. Also when pressing the Sport or Sport Plus, the PSE button light with light up automatically. Again it is my understanding from reading all related posts on this forum. Can someone that has done a PSE install please confirm. thx.

Old 07-03-2015, 12:04 PM
Bump. Drcollie, thx for the explanation. As Lunarx points out, can you or someone just confirm that with non-PSE but with Sport or Sport Plus modes the valves stay closed until the mid-3K rpm range. I just called Suncoastpart.com and they put some doubt into my idea. They think that simply putting the car into the Sport or Sport Plus mode opens the valves at idle or entire RPM range in the non-PSE package. I don't think that is correct. I think the mode of operation is as Drcollie describes in all Standard/Sport/Sport Plus modes. Can anyone confirm? Anyone? thx for the help.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: PSE switch implementation only on C4S