Plastidip sport technos

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-04-2015, 08:44 AM
dkim12 is on a distinguished road
Plastidip sport technos

Okay, I was going to sell the sport technos but now I'm not so sure.

Had some time on Thursday so I decided I would try plastidip instead of having them painted at a shop for $1000. If it turned out terrible, fine I would spend the money to get them painted. 3 cans and 6 coats later, I'm good with how it turned out. Going to be a bit more carful removing the dip around the spokes...just haven't figured out what tool I need to help me peel it so it doesn't peel off areas around it.

Hope this helps anyone thinking of dipping your wheels. I'll post pics on car once my tires come in which may be a while. Mpss on backorder.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:13 AM
powdercoatmike has a spectacular aura aboutpowdercoatmike has a spectacular aura about
good luck with having the tires mounted without damaging the dip! They look good, but you could have had them powdercoated for 400 or less.

Old 07-04-2015, 10:48 AM
Looked into powder coating at 2 places. Its much more difficult because only a portion is being coated. They have to first strip the clearcoat on the entire wheel and sand it down which will dull the polished lip and spoke. Then the powdercoat then it will need to be polished back and clear coated. Both places were kinda scared to do it and wanted over $1000 to do it.

If it peels when tires are mounted, I will just respray to touch up hehe

Old 07-04-2015, 11:17 AM
Rapture1 is on a distinguished road
I think it looks pretty good.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:25 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
How long will that last? Does it take a fair amount of abuse? I'm not to familiar with anything plastidipped.

Old 07-04-2015, 11:30 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
I have to say, I'm not a fan of Plastidip for anything except a fairly gentle environment. It is soft and easily marked and one is always fighting edge peel with it. While I might do an car logo emblem with it - such as spraying the P O R S C H E on our cars in a black color with reasonably good results - then re-attaching them, I don't think you will get very good lifespan on the wheels and will be removing it shortly. I suggest as others have, get the wheels powder-coated while the tires are still off - you'll be way ahead in the long run. Good luck.

Old 07-04-2015, 12:31 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
Cost me about $800 to have my Sport Techno wheels painted guards red and yes they did paint just he painted parts and of course the insides. Done by a wheel repair shop and they've now done 5 sets for me for different cars, summer and winter wheels.

Old 07-04-2015, 01:29 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Nice work OP!!! They came out very good for your first dip! You may have to re-spray or touch up after the rubber gets mounted. Looking forward to seeing your installed pics. What color did you spray them? Black? Any glossifier or anything?

Originally Posted by Jersey Shore
How long will that last? Does it take a fair amount of abuse? I'm not to familiar with anything plastidipped.

I've had mine dipped going on 1.5 years now and have had no issues what-so-ever. They are holding up fine, even to wheel cleaners/washings/brake dust/etc. I just have to be careful when cleaning them so as not to be too rough with them, because they can and will peel/lift/ding if you are not careful. However, you do not need to treat them with kid gloves. Very hearty and durable.

I love the dip!

Old 07-04-2015, 02:43 PM
landshark is on a distinguished road
I'm about to dip my factory winter wheels in anthracite too. Received the cans this week, just need to find time to do it.

My friend dip the PORSCHE logo and model scripts in black on his Panny and I must say they looks good.

Old 07-04-2015, 07:57 PM
[QUOTE=Sizzle Chest;4366133]Nice work OP!!! They came out very good for your first dip! You may have to re-spray or touch up after the rubber gets mounted. Looking forward to seeing your installed pics. What color did you spray them? Black? Any glossifier or anything?

Thanks! I tried the glossifier before on my wife's range rover grill but it really didn't seem like it was adding any shine to it so I just left it matte black.

I hope you are right about lasting without any issues. If it's starts looking raggedy and cheapens the look of my 911 (maybe too late for that haha) then I will just pay up and get it powdercoated. I just had a bad feeling that they would make the wheels look worse after speaking to both powder coat shop owners.

Plus, I like the idea of switching between the silver polish look and the black two tone look if I get sick of one or the other. I say that now, but I know I'll never go through the taping process (1 hour per wheel) not to mention the fumes from the paint can during the coating.

I'll post pics and update the post with any issues that come up when mounting the tires. Fingers crossed.

Old 07-04-2015, 08:11 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
I feel like this is a deja vu from reddit, yeah?

Old 07-04-2015, 08:41 PM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
dkim12: How many coats did you put on them? I did 4 color and 3 glossifier. NO issues at all with durability bro. It'll last, no worries. I don't think it will start to look raggedy or cheap at all...at least I don't think it does on mine!

First day done:

Name:  IMG_2132_zps73f3f79b.jpg
Views: 110
Size:  595.3 KB

Name:  Done_zpsab15883b.jpg
Views: 255
Size:  4.23 MB

1.5 years and about 8,000 miles later...still looking like a boss!

Old 07-04-2015, 10:41 PM
landshark is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
dkim12: How many coats did you put on them? I did 4 color and 3 glossifier. NO issues at all with durability bro. It'll last, no worries. I don't think it will start to look raggedy or cheap at all...at least I don't think it does on mine!

First day done:

What color is that? Do you have more pics? That's exactly what I'm gunning for. I was worried about the glossifier will make it toooo glossy, but judging from your pics, they look like factory satin finish.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:05 AM
Originally Posted by landshark
What color is that? Do you have more pics? That's exactly what I'm gunning for. I was worried about the glossifier will make it toooo glossy, but judging from your pics, they look like factory satin finish.

It is Anthracite with glossifier on top. Here is the link to my thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-my-991-a.html

Let me know if you need anymore!

Old 07-05-2015, 09:22 AM
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
It is Anthracite with glossifier on top. Here is the link to my thread:

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...-my-991-a.html

Let me know if you need anymore!

nicely done!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Plastidip sport technos