PDK Clutch engagement from stop hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 12:52 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
Originally Posted by plenum
Why not just ask your SA for a quote to replace the throttle body? You'll get a quote on parts and labor. Just because they can't figure out the problem doesn't mean you can't request to replace the TB (on your dime) to potentially resolve your problem. I mean of course ideally warranty would cover the "fix" but if you are really worried about the problem just try some good 'OL DIY.
Good luck!
Not sure this is what I would concider a DIY, having the dealer do it? I was going to do a DYI if possible with purchasing a throttle body and hopefully from someplace else other than a dealer if possible and then installing it myself. I understand I can ask the dealer what the cost would be....but I would first wanna hear hopefully from more if this is the fix.

Old 07-25-2015, 02:11 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by Dilligaf
This could be a bad question, but does anyone know the cost of buying a throttle body? Just wondering as I am not having any luck with my dealer taking care of this and will be off of warrenty soon.
Have you tried another dealer? They are not all the same.

ChuckJ

Old 07-25-2015, 02:32 PM
Dilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to allDilligaf is a name known to all
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
Have you tried another dealer? They are not all the same.

ChuckJ
Would love to, the next closest is dealer is about 2.5 hours away so that option is not a great one at this time. If I can find out it is a throttle body problem, it possibly would be cheaper to just do it than spend the time to get to a different dealer.

Old 07-25-2015, 06:39 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
This could be a bad question, but does anyone know the cost of buying a throttle body? Just wondering as I am not having any luck with my dealer taking care of this and will be off of warranty soon.
Originally Posted by plenum
Why not just ask your SA for a quote to replace the throttle body? You'll get a quote on parts and labor. Just because they can't figure out the problem doesn't mean you can't request to replace the TB (on your dime) to potentially resolve your problem. I mean of course ideally warranty would cover the "fix" but if you are really worried about the problem just try some good 'OL DIY.
Good luck!
Not sure this is what I would consider a DIY, having the dealer do it? I was going to do a DYI if possible with purchasing a throttle body and hopefully from someplace else other than a dealer if possible and then installing it myself. I understand I can ask the dealer what the cost would be....but I would first wanna hear hopefully from more if this is the fix.
Well it's only $315 (Interesting that it is a 997 series part);
http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/au...ttle-body-scat

You probably want the $7 O-Ring also;
http://www.sunsetporscheparts.com/oe...he/9a111022001

It would be real cool to see a DIY on it and hearing if it works or not.

If you did go the dealer install route, as Plenum suggested, there would be a chance you could get a reimbursement (from corporate), if you argue that the dealer wrongfully forced you to pay for the fix.

Old 07-25-2015, 08:30 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
Would love to, the next closest is dealer is about 2.5 hours away so that option is not a great one at this time. If I can find out it is a throttle body problem, it possibly would be cheaper to just do it than spend the time to get to a different dealer.
I don't know if you can get at the sensor, but the one on the 993 can be cleaned, perhaps the 991 also.

ChuckJ

Old 07-26-2015, 09:26 AM
Thanks Chuck and lunarx for the great info. If I decide to undertake this, I will do a DIY video. I did the throttle reset yesterday and no hesitation all day but not a lot of stop and go which seems to be when it shows up. I will have to see what happens today.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:02 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Not sure this is what I would concider a DIY, having the dealer do it? I was going to do a DYI if possible with purchasing a throttle body and hopefully from someplace else other than a dealer if possible and then installing it myself. I understand I can ask the dealer what the cost would be....but I would first wanna hear hopefully from more if this is the fix.
Hi yeah sorry I actually meant "DIY" in the form of not having warranty work done, but taking it upon yourself to get the work done at your dealer, or your independent, or in your own garage. The quote from your dealer would be a good frame of reference at any rate for you in terms of cost and maybe more importantly labor -- for example if the service tech is quoting from book at more than x number of hours you may not want to attempt yourself given the tech can probably do it "faster" and has many more resources to draw upon. Sorry for the confusion.

Old 07-26-2015, 01:11 PM
Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !Macster Is a GOD !
This could be a bad question, but does anyone know the cost of buying a throttle body? Just wondering as I am not having any luck with my dealer taking care of this and will be off of warrenty soon.
I'd push the dealer to address this issue.

Point out that one reason you bought the car was the highly touted new car warranty and the highly touted service capabilities of the dealer.

Stress that with this behavior you have lost all enjoyment from driving the vehicle and worry that it might be ready to stall and strand you at a most inopportune time.

If the dealer refuses to or can't address this issue under the warranty state you believe you could be a victim of consumer fraud and will bring this matter to the attention of your county's Consumer Fraud division.

Also, that you will be in contact with the Bureau of Automotive Repair (BAR) to see what is necessary to file a complaint.

I believe the dealer will be more attentive.

Old 07-26-2015, 07:21 PM
mmaturo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shumi_9
Do a search for throttle adaption. It is a minute procedure...you have to time it. Don't touch any pedals during this period.

Link since it took me a bit to find it...I assume this is it? Though its the 997 forum?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...problem-2.html

<edit> Answering my own question after several hours of reading posts I have no idea what you are referring to yet, other than between the two main forums and 60+ pages on the subject no one seems to have the answer (??). Mine is doing all the above and the fishing line pull/tug is really a great explanation of how it feels... driving down the highway mine is doing this constantly. If you don't mind do you know where the post is you are referring to.

Last edited by mmaturo; 07-26-2015 at 09:02 PM.
Old 07-26-2015, 09:02 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Originally Posted by ChuckJ
I don't know if you can get at the sensor, but the one on the 993 can be cleaned, perhaps the 991 also.

ChuckJ
Cleaning or replacing a Throttle Body is absolutely a DIY type procedure, even on a 991...

Throttle Body Removal
1. Remove air cleaner housing
2. Release and pull off cable plug on the throttle body and unclip cable
3. Unscrew (4) four screws (M6 x 50) and remove the throttle housing
4. Remove moulded seal on the resonance tube flange (this will have to be replaced in any case...)
You can inspect the housing on your bench - if dirty give it a good cleaning.
If you'd like to determine if replacing the TB remedies your hesitation problem, replace with a new TB and seal. The steps to install a new TB / Seal are simply the reverse of the removal steps above:

Throttle Body Installation
1. Apply a light coating of grease to the moulded seal (this must be replaced)
2. Position throttle housing and fit in place using 4 screws (M6 x 50)
3. Tighten the screws to 10 Nm or 7.5 Ftlb
4. Fit cable plug on the throttle housing and clip cable into the sheetmetal holder
5. Install air cleaner housing
Don't have any pictures -- but here is a drawing:

Old 07-27-2015, 02:38 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by mmaturo
Link since it took me a bit to find it...I assume this is it? Though its the 997 forum?

https://www.6speedonline.com/forums/...problem-2.html

<edit> Answering my own question after several hours of reading posts I have no idea what you are referring to yet, other than between the two main forums and 60+ pages on the subject no one seems to have the answer (??). Mine is doing all the above and the fishing line pull/tug is really a great explanation of how it feels... driving down the highway mine is doing this constantly. If you don't mind do you know where the post is you are referring to.
Here are the procedures for the reset:

Turn ignition to on (not start) for 60 seconds then off for 5 seconds then back on for 15 seconds - if you have the engine lid open you can hear the throttle readjusting. Do not start engine during this process and do not step on any pedals.

Old 07-27-2015, 09:03 AM
mmaturo is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
Here are the procedures for the reset:

Turn ignition to on (not start) for 60 seconds then off for 5 seconds then back on for 15 seconds - if you have the engine lid open you can hear the throttle readjusting. Do not start engine during this process and do not step on any pedals.

Great, thank you!! Will do this shortly. And cross post as this issue is everywhere if I do feel a change for awhile. I am new to Porsche but considering the number of people that seem to have the issue it is a good percentage that I am surprised it has not been addressed by a TSB over the years. Though I will say I have only had my car a few months and have not yet taken it for this or anything yet (at 5K miles) in to ask/check for software updates or anything that may be recommended for my car so I'm not yet helping any to do what I need to do other than read a thousand posts.

After 3 years of 991s seems we may need a more of an organized uprising for Porsche to address this clearly. May need to help with that myself if nothing changes on my car... I was part of a core group that got Audi to finally deal with their DRC suspension/leaking shocks issue and finally reengineered the system and did a recall on all RS6s and due to the same issue later RS4s. It took a letter campaign to the NTHSB and careful writing to make it clear there was a safety component to it and not just a mushy suspension. It is certainly directly affecting my view of this car and the brand where repeatedly I don't know what it is going to do off the line and the feel on the interstate with the push pull it does on even throttle. It is not at all sports car like that I expect at this level of car. When people ask me if I like the car I am lukewarm so far and its just the engine/trans with this issue...I really like everything else about it. It took 20 years for a Porsche to finally crack the door in my interest to peel me from another Audi and this isn't a good start (yet).

Last edited by mmaturo; 07-27-2015 at 09:12 AM.
Old 07-29-2015, 08:17 AM
shumi_9 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by shumi_9
My dealer asked me to do a throttle reset before bringing it in. It seems to have helped. It is my first throttle reset with 15k miles.

Throttle adaption worked for a couple of days. Hesitation is back. Taking the car in.

Old 07-29-2015, 07:10 PM
Samp will become famous soon enough
PDK Clutch engagement from stop hesitation

I did the reset and nothing. I plan to try an adaptive to see if that helps. If not. To the dealer.

Old 07-29-2015, 08:11 PM
Mine is same as Shumi, worked kinda for a day then back with a hesitation, I believe this may need to be captured on film to get the dealer to do anything.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK Clutch engagement from stop hesitation