PDK Clutch engagement from stop hesitation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2015, 07:37 PM
spudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the roughspudz5 is a jewel in the rough
PDK Clutch engagement from stop hesitation

Was wondering if this is an issue or just the way PDK is. Most times when at a light and light turns green, as I release the brake and step on the gas, the car hesitates before moving; maybe a second or two. Always thought that it is a lag from the clutch to engage. A minor annoyance as there are times when I need a quick start off the line to merge yet the delay is enough time for another car to get ahead off the get go. Any thoughts? thanks

Old 07-06-2015, 10:54 PM
dreamerstudio is on a distinguished road
Were you standing in uphill slope? Check if it engaged on hill hold function.

Old 07-07-2015, 03:34 AM
bccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant futurebccars has a brilliant future
A second or two ? That doesn't sound normal to me ! Take it to the dealer !

Old 07-07-2015, 05:43 AM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Agree with bccars--there shouldn't be any discernible "hesitation" or delay in power from a standstill. Get it checked-out. Could it be Hill Hold? Sure. I've actually had that kick-in on a relatively flat part of my driveway a few times as I moved my cars around... almost felt like the e-brake was on and giving it gas released the brake, so there was a slight hesitation as you've described.

You haven't indicated if your 991 is a base 3.4, S, SC option or not, etc. Or whether you have this issue in standard, S, or S+ mode (or all three!), when cold vs warm, etc. That additional info might help others provide some input.

Generally speaking, Porsche are not a car that you should ever have the feeling of not being able to get off the line faster than anyone else - esp with a PDK equipped car. No timed engagement or feathering of the clutch from a stop or anything like that. Just stomp and go. I mean, have you tried the launch in S+ on a PDK car?

Old 07-07-2015, 06:18 AM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
You need to get that looked at by the dealer.

ChuckJ

Old 07-07-2015, 06:52 AM
Samp will become famous soon enough
I have a 2014 C4S and I have the same problem. I have taken to the dealer and 'that is normal'. It is not the brake engagement. Mine is simply like it is flooding and then takes off. Mine seems to be about the same in regular or sport and hot or warm, less when cold or maybe because I simply don't drive as aggressively until it warms up.

It has gotten me into a few 'closer than it should have been' instances as I assume I can take off and merge etc. It is the worst when I push on the gas fairly hard after sitting at a light for a little while. If I am at the light less than a minute - it seem to be much better.

I have found that if I put gas from some places, it seems to be worse so I try to stay with the majors like shell.

If you get better results - let me know.

Old 07-07-2015, 08:09 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
So some people never have the hesitation?
I get it on occasion.
It definetly feels like clutch engagement delay.
Perhaps there is a software update for it.

Old 07-07-2015, 09:47 AM
Mine is an engine stumble situation. My rpm goes down. If it was a clutch engagement it would go up.

Old 07-07-2015, 12:02 PM
ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !ChuckJ Is a GOD !
I don't get on mine until it's warmed up but when I do, the engine RPM goes to 3500 immediately just like launch control except lower RPM. If I put my foot to the floor in a less aggressive manner there's still no hesitation, but the clutch locks up at a very low RPM. My 997.2 C2S used to have the hesitation when I got on it. There is some learning with the transmission so you might try a very quick acceleration a few times.

ChuckJ

Old 07-07-2015, 01:15 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by Samp
Mine is an engine stumble situation. My rpm goes down. If it was a clutch engagement it would go up.
You are right.
It feels like the PCM is cutting throttle.
The question is why?
To avoid a stall?
Or
To avoid an overrev, because clutch is disengaged?

My car did literally stall once and I had to restart engine. Never happened again.

Last edited by lunarx; 07-23-2015 at 08:55 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 04:58 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
I have a 2014 C4S and I have the same problem. I have taken to the dealer and 'that is normal'. It is not the brake engagement. Mine is simply like it is flooding and then takes off.

It has gotten me into a few 'closer than it should have been' instances as I assume I can take off and merge etc. It is the worst when I push on the gas fairly hard after sitting at a light for a little while. If I am at the light less than a minute - it seem to be much better.
Your dealer told you this is normal???? And we are talking about a Porsche dealer? Hesitation like flooding or hesitation of any sort is by no means "normal" for a Carrera of any level.

Old 07-07-2015, 07:42 PM
Chupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond reputeChupacabra has a reputation beyond repute
Depending on your answers it may be the same as what happened with me, which led to a replacement tranny. 991 2012 C2S PDK

It would always happen when the car was cold. It would only happen in base mode, not Sport or Sport+. When applying the gas the car would not go, then a sudden lurch like a clutch was being let out. It started about 6 months after another tranny replacement. After the car warmed up or if in Sport/Sport+, it didn't seem to happen.

The dealership tried many things including adding 'shims' and whatever else PCNA asked, nothing worked. Finally Atlanta said to replace the tranny, again. Since then I have had no problems. It's going on two years this September.

Old 07-08-2015, 07:40 AM
I plan to take in again for this and not take the 'normal' answer. I agreed to run a few tanks of gas as it seemed to happen after I got gas on a road trip from a place I would not normally buy from but had no option. It is still occurring so I will be taking back in. It is not a PDK problem as I had the other issue of the clutch dropping after a rev up on my 2010 Panamera. This is a gas delivery problem.

Old 07-08-2015, 09:55 AM
mmaturo is on a distinguished road

Mine does this a few times a week randomly. Car does not engage gear and its a drop in rpm like the car is going to stall. I let off gas it catches up, then drops a little hard into gear. To me it is a pdk issue in my car anyway as in my other dual clutch cars I intermittently get the same thing (RS5 and my previous S5). Those cars software and controller updates/replacement helped. It is certainly not normal if it happens a lot.

Old 07-08-2015, 10:47 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
@Spudz5 - Are you referring to this?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: PDK Clutch engagement from stop hesitation