Has Anyone Dealth With Headliner Rattle?

Old 07-07-2015, 08:47 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
Has Anyone Dealth With Headliner Rattle?

I had my car in the dealership last week for some rattling sounds coming from the rear of it. They found a torque driver bit under the carpet that was coming loose in corners and moving around (I've sent a nice letter to the company who left it there notifying them they will be reimbursing me for the two hours of labor I paid for). The other rattle they discovered was the headliner in the center near where it meets the rear window, and the tech said "yeah sometimes this happens, it's because of the Velcro fasteners that sometimes give up". Based on that, I assumed it would be fixed, but it was not something they addressed, so rather than start yet another battle I would like to see if there's an easy fix that anyone has done, since it is apparently a fairly common issue.

Thank you!

Old 07-07-2015, 10:17 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
I'd have the dealer fix it. I understand about the battle, but we pay through the nose for these cars.

I have never heard of a rattling headliner myself, but a DIY fix might be some 3M heavy duty tape where it is rattling, or some self stick Velcro squares, etc.

Curious, is your car a sunroof car? I could see it being an issue more with non sunroof cars, as the HL would be larger.

Another option, maybe some craft felt pushed into the rattling area. Michael's or Hobby Lobby sells 8" X 11" sheets of the stuff. You can buy it plain or with adhesive on one side if you want to attach it to the roof or the headliner. I have bought the adhesive sided felt before to replace the felt under table lamps.

Last edited by 991TurboS; 07-07-2015 at 10:22 PM.
Old 07-07-2015, 10:22 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
If I took the car in partially for that issue, and they identified the issue, I assume this to mean they aren't willing to fix under warranty.

Or forgetful.

Old 07-07-2015, 10:25 PM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
Originally Posted by Vicelord
If I took the car in partially for that issue, and they identified the issue, I assume this to mean they aren't willing to fix under warranty.

Or forgetful.
I would start with the service manager and work your way up the food chain to get the Dealer to fix it. I would not assume anything.

Old 07-08-2015, 06:30 AM
STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !STG991 Is a GOD !
There are many known "rattles" with these cars. The headliner one is also one known one.

There's a post somewhere on this forum on fixes. Someone please reference it. I need to address my drivers seatbelt one (the trim around it) and my rear passenger arm rest/speaker panel one. If read about these but would like to fix them soon.

Thanks

Old 07-08-2015, 08:22 AM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by STG991
There are many known "rattles" with these cars. The headliner one is also one known one.

There's a post somewhere on this forum on fixes. Someone please reference it. I need to address my drivers seatbelt one (the trim around it) and my rear passenger arm rest/speaker panel one. If read about these but would like to fix them soon.

Thanks
There was a bulletin to replace broken clips for rattling headliners.
I've also taken my car in 3 times for the drivers seat belt rattle / buzzing.
Their "fix" is good for a month and then back to square one.
The drivers seat belt is really distracting and annoying, because the buzzing is right by your ear.

Good luck.

Old 07-08-2015, 02:22 PM
bryansdc is on a distinguished road
I had issues with the Headliner and had to take it to the dealer twice . They stuffed the headliner with there own felt and I believe they have fixed it. Leave it with them for a day or 2 and they will figure it out. Good Luck!