So here's my dilemma...

Old 07-15-2015, 05:29 PM
onapex is on a distinguished road
If the 991 4S is fast enough for you, go with the 991. Newer is almost always better. 997 is now a old car.

Old 07-15-2015, 06:20 PM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
I would get the 991. I had three 997's and I liked them all, but I think my 991 GTS is a better car in every way. None of my 997's were Turbos, but I still say the 991 is a better car, especially the chassis with the longer wheelbase and wider front track.

Old 07-15-2015, 07:50 PM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
Do yourself a favor, don't test drive the 997TTS and the 991C4S back-to-back. I drove the 991 50th anniversary edition (basically the 991 GTS before the GTS was released) and it felt sloooow even with the extra 30HP+ afforded by the powerkit. The 991 was more compliant and docile than my 997.2TTS (due to its longer wheelbase and wider track) ironically more of a GT car than my TTS!

On the track, I've done PCA DE's and 991's simply can't keep up either in turns and definitely not on the straightaways. The 991 is a bigger car and not as nimble and the steering feel is quite numb! Better tech and yes, the interior is more modern.

If you're a cruiser either will work for you, if however you seek that occasional mind-numbing acceleration/speed, it's a no brainer. In a C4S if a GT-R pulls up alongside you, you don't rev your engine...in a TTS, all you have to do is smile! Both are great cars though, you can't go wrong with either.

Old 07-16-2015, 12:11 AM
Does anybody have actual lap times of a 997TTS vs 991 C2S? The 991 is actually faster than the 997TT, at least at the famed Ring. Don't underestimate what a modern chassis and other tech can do.

Old 07-16-2015, 10:22 AM
Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !Ynot Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by onapex
Does anybody have actual lap times of a 997TTS vs 991 C2S? The 991 is actually faster than the 997TT, at least at the famed Ring. Don't underestimate what a modern chassis and other tech can do.
On a track like the Nurburgring, I wouldn't doubt it, but we are not all professional race car drivers. On the street. I would put all my money on the 997TTS over a 991 C2S. 0-60 on the TTS is high 2's and 4.0 for the 991. Quarter mile is 10 compared to 12's. Here is the source. http://www.zeroto60times.com/vehicle...-60-mph-times/
Up here at 5280 ft elevation, it's probably not even that close.

Old 07-16-2015, 02:30 PM
Depends on what you are after. If 0-60 and 1/4 mile is your priority, then yes, more HP the better. I just hate it when people think the "Turbo" or "GT3" badge makes the car the pinnacle. Yes, the pinnacle during its generation. But almost always the newer generation chassis, transmission, brakes, etc. are way way better. Porsche spent a ton of money developing the new 991. You think it's not better than a 997?

Old 07-17-2015, 07:33 AM
akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !akunob Is a GOD !
But almost always the newer generation chassis, transmission, brakes, etc. are way way better. Porsche spent a ton of money developing the new 991. You think it's not better than a 997?
I agree 100% with the above, the 991 C4S is better than the 997 C4S in just about everyway. However the OP is cross shopping a turbo S! IMHO improvements over the 997 TTS are limited to chassis (ride quality) and updated interior (technology and layout/design)!

The 997 TTS tops the 991C4S on power, torque, steering feel/response (hydraulic vs. electric in the 991), braking (PCCB is standard on the TTS vs. an option for the 991), handling and overall driving feel. Remember the 997.2 TTS has the same engine as the 991 TTS, though the 991 benefits from a slightly more efficient PDK transmission. Exterior styling is subjective so I'll exclude that from the conversation.

The 997TTS offers a much more visceral driving experience but it all comes down to what the OP wants in his car. If he is after a pleasant riding and fast DD with the most modern tech, then its a no-brainer (991).

Old 07-17-2015, 10:30 AM
XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !XLR82XS Is a GOD !
Originally Posted by akunob
I agree 100% with the above, the 991 C4S is better than the 997 C4S in just about everyway. However the OP is cross shopping a turbo S! IMHO improvements over the 997 TTS are limited to chassis (ride quality) and updated interior (technology and layout/design)!

The 997 TTS tops the 991C4S on power, torque, steering feel/response (hydraulic vs. electric in the 991), braking (PCCB is standard on the TTS vs. an option for the 991), handling and overall driving feel. Remember the 997.2 TTS has the same engine as the 991 TTS, though the 991 benefits from a slightly more efficient PDK transmission. Exterior styling is subjective so I'll exclude that from the conversation.

The 997TTS offers a much more visceral driving experience but it all comes down to what the OP wants in his car. If he is after a pleasant riding and fast DD with the most modern tech, then its a no-brainer (991).
Well said.

Old 07-17-2015, 11:58 AM
I am aware the OP is comparing a 991 to a 997 TTS. I have no direct comparisons except that at the famed Ring a 991 C2S is FASTER than a 997 TT and 997 GT3. Is it the tires? Who knows. But apples to apples if you judge by lap times the 991 C2S is a better car. So its incorrect to assume the TTS "handles" better just because of the badge.

Old 07-17-2015, 01:07 PM
I am aware the OP is comparing a 991 to a 997 TTS. I have no direct comparisons except that at the famed Ring a 991 C2S is FASTER than a 997 TT and 997 GT3. Is it the tires? Who knows. But apples to apples if you judge by lap times the 991 C2S is a better car. So its incorrect to assume the TTS "handles" better just because of the badge.
The Corvette C6 Z06 has a faster 'Ring lap time than the 991 C4S, 997TTS, 997.1 & 997.2 GT3s... just to name a few! Would you say the C6 Z06 is a better handling car than any of the above based solely on 'Ring lap times? I think Porsches handle better than 'Vettes but that's just me. You may beg to differ, based on posted 'Ring times.

Not to get overly technical about handling but I track my TTS (vs. 991 GT3 and the C's...C2, C2S, C4S, 987 & 981s etc.) and from my personal experience on the track, the primary difference between the 997 vs. 991 chassis is the 991's ability to maintain much higher cornering speeds than the 997...WHY? The combination of the longer wheelbase and wider FRONT track in the 991 takes away much of the understeer going into corners that is present on the 997 platform. What is not apparent to many drivers (unless you track your car) is how the longer chassis (wheelbase) in the 991 effectively places the 991 engine CLOSER to the center of the car which dramatically affects the FRONT/REAR weight distribution (vs. the engine hanging out the back, rear-weight bias) and makes the 991 way more STABLE in turns/corners! Ever wonder why the Cayman (981) is such a JOY to track...think weight distribution (specifically engine location and the balance it affords). Experienced drivers in 981's regularly close the gap on me in corners at the track and I power away in the straights!

This explains the faster 'Ring times, if you account for all the turns at the Nordschleifer, carrying speeds fractions of a second faster at each turn adds up to a faster lap time. As anyone who tracks regular knows, its not HP that wins (usually) its momentum...you can have a slower car and a faster lap time. This may lead to the faulty conclusion that the 991 'handles' better than the 997...not exactly true, the 991 carries/maintains faster speeds through corners better because it manages understeer much better however the longer wheelbase has the opposite effect on it's turning radius which is much larger. The 997 has a more tactile handling feel with its shorter wheel base. The smaller sports cars all share this phenomena, they are nimbler than the larger sport cars (think slaloms on a skidpad and the ability to 'toss' a sports car around), ignoring the role that suspension set-up play for a second (another lengthy topic entirely...LOL). The 991 is getting quite large in size (as 911's go) but Porsche engineers have done a phenomenal job at masking the effects of the 911's growing size with amazing technology (why do you think Porsche engineers introduced REAR-WHEEL steering on the 991 TT/S...to counter the radius issue and handling response).

I don't know your racing/track experience but there is a reason Porsches are best experienced on a track...get out more often and you will understand why there is no substitute plus you will learn way more about these amazing machines that we love so much! 'Ring times aren't the be all end all...it's really mostly about automaker bragging rights for marketing! That said, there's absolutely nothing wrong with owning a Porsche solely for weekend cruises and relaxed enjoyment, we Porsche guys (& gals) come in all stripes and we are better for it! The 991 is an amazing car/platform don't get me wrong, I am all for evolution of our cherished 911's but I try to understand the trade-offs inherent in designing modern Porsches for an ever growing, broader, less 'enthusiast' market!

Last edited by akunob; 07-17-2015 at 01:25 PM.
Old 07-17-2015, 04:02 PM
You kind of lost me...a slower car turns a faster lap? And yes, I have done track events before (although will readily admit I'm definitely a beginner). The original question was regarding a 991 S vs a 997 Turbo S. Some things like steering feel, looks, etc. are subjective. But other things like lap times, skidpad, slalom, braking can be objectively measured. For these objective measurements, the 991 S is on par if not better then the 997 Turbo S. I point to lap times because lap times combine power + braking + cornering + transmission ability. In this regards the 991 is miles ahead of the 997. A 991 S is giving up 100+ horsepower to the 997 Turbo S, yet consistently posts better lap times. Is it better tires? Better PDK? Better chassis? Probably combination of several factors. But the bottom line is, it's faster. So objectively speaking, the 991 S is faster on track. Not sure why that is so hard to believe.

Old 07-17-2015, 08:33 PM
Again we are talking about the 997.2 TTS not the 997TT (the OP is comparing a 991C4S to a 997.2TTS). The 991 C4S is NOT faster around the 'Ring than the 997.2TTS.

See below for the official fastest laps at the 'Ring. The 997.2TTS is #35 at 7:32.00, the fastest non-turbo 991 is the 991 C2S at #50 at 7:37.90 (by Timo Kluck). I think you are referring to the 997.1TT (480HP), yes the 991C4S is faster than the 997.1TT. The 997.1TT does not have PDK and it was a PDK 991 C2S that set that record lap for the C2S Porsche model line (the PDK transmission makes a huge difference on the track).

Seeing as you like objective measures, in EVERY objective measure 0-60, 1/4 mile, 1/2 mile, power, torque, braking, handling/slalom AND Nurburgring laptimes, the 997.2TTS bests the 991 C4S and is much faster. Do you realize that the 997.2TTS is just as fast as the 991TTS (actually faster to 60mph)! On the concept of a lower HP car (slower car) posting faster lap times than some higher HP cars (faster cars), you can ask your instructor at your next track event to explain it to you.

http://fastestlaps.com/tracks/nordschleife.html

Old 07-17-2015, 09:55 PM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
I am a former owner of a 997TT and a current owner of a 991 4S. I love the 4S but I really miss my 997TT. I can't tell you about ring times but as much as I love my 991 4S, it is not nearly as fast as the 997TT.

Old 07-17-2015, 10:39 PM
Originally Posted by akunob
On the concept of a lower HP car (slower car) posting faster lap times than some higher HP cars (faster cars), you can ask your instructor at your next track event to explain it to you.
That's just an idiotic statement. A slower car cannot be faster than a faster car, otherwise it'd be the faster car. When did lower HP car = slower car? There are many examples of cars with less HP posting faster lap times than cars with higher HP. They are the faster car, probably due to minimal weight, among other factors. When has anybody ever think or called the Ariel Atom a slower car because it has only 350 HP??? I don't even know why we are disagreeing. My entire point is, the 991 generation 911s, even if they are down on HP, has improved A LOT compared to the 997. The chassis is just much, much better, as well as a host of other things like the PDK. These improvements make them pretty damn fast, even with "only" 400 HP. A My point to the original poster is don't just look at the HP figure, because the 991 is THAT much better. If in the end he likes the Turbo S, that's fine, buy it. But don't just look at the HP. Which I think is your point, which is why I don't know why we are disagreeing. A 2013 C2S is faster around Laguna Seca than a 2010 Turbo S. That should give you an indication of the improvements the 991 generation has made. Look, I don't know if you own a 997 Turbo S and feel slighted. Don't. It's just the way things work. Newer generations are generally better than the previous generation. And FWIW, I don't have a 991, so I have no dog in this fight. Just want to point out to the OP that it's not all about HP or the "Turbo" badge.

Last edited by onapex; 07-17-2015 at 10:44 PM.
Old 07-18-2015, 01:52 PM
My comments are more corrective than disagreeing with you. You asserted that the 991 C4S was faster around the 'Ring than the 997.2TTS, that was incorrect. I simply pointed out the facts. I noticed that you did not acknowledge your error but have now switched to a different track in order to make 'your point'. You may not realize this but each track is different and its given configuration play either to the strengths or weakness of any given car! Using your chosen Laguna Seca, the Corvette Z06 has a faster lap time than the McLaren MP4-12C, so in your mind, the Z06 is the faster/better car? I beg to differ, the 'Vette is simply faster around Laguna Seca PERIOD! Keeping with your lap times theme, the '11 Z06 has a faster lap time than the current 991 TTS, so would you say that all the technological advances in the 991TTS aren't worth it vs. the 'Vette as it is SLOWER than a '11 Z06 around LS! Again, I beg to differ! Sorry to keep picking on the Z06, it's actually a very nice car!

Further, regarding faster vs. slower cars, the primary measures of speed for the "fastest production cars" are (i) top speed and (ii) 0-60mph and 1/4 mile times. Using those industry measures, the higher HP are generally the 'faster' cars! Lap times are typically not used to determine the fastest cars. I'm not sure why you do. A faster lap time around a given track simply makes a car FASTER around THAT particular track, period...it does not make it a FASTER CAR! I hope the nuance is not lost on you! Hence why, in some cases a given track's configuration (typically shorter more technical tracks) may favor a lower HP (slower) car vs. a higher HP (generally faster) car!

I don't resort to name-calling nor do I attempt to 'bend' facts to suit me to make my point. The OP asked for opinions between two cars, both of which I've driven and one that I currently own and I've given him my views on each and what IMHO are the merits of each car. I wish the OP good luck with his decision. I never said the 997.2TTS was the BETTER car, I just shared my opinion on the areas where I thought the 997.2TTS had better performance and vice versa (the 991 C4S has a much better chassis and interior tech/design)! As a Porsche owner, I know that the concept of 'better' is purely in the eye of the beholder (given the 20+ variants in the current 911 model range)! We, Porsche owners, don't generally traffic in the 'better car than...' department BUT instead we debate vigorously the merits of each evolutionary step in the 911 history. I wish the OP the best of luck in choosing the car that is BEST for HIM.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: So here's my dilemma...