Changing tires on wheels vs new set

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-25-2015, 10:52 PM
akbjr will become famous soon enoughakbjr will become famous soon enough

Any opinions on using oem rims and just switching out the rubber for the winter and spring......

Vs.....buying a complete winter set of winter wheels and tires?

The cost of owning the complete set of winter rims and tires would be beneficial if I keep the car 15-20 years. It's for a 2016 GTS w center locks. The oem set for winter is 7k. Not including rubber is roughly 5300 for wheels, sensors and valves. Per year I save 200 dollars if I own the wheels and tires therefore roughly 5k divided by 200 is 25 years.

Is the winter rubber really damages by being taken off and on the rim? Thanks.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:32 AM
911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold911cv is a splendid one to behold
- The more you take the tires off the wheels, the greater the chance of damaging your wheels
- I've been told that you are not supposed to keep taking the tires off of a wheel as it could also damage the tire as well
- With 2 complete sets you have a backup in case you get a flat (my neighbor has a 911...this just happened to him; he did a quick tire/wheel swap with his winters in his garage and was back up and running in no time)
- You can pick up an extra set of OEM wheels on EBay or 6speed for ~2k, maybe less. I've seen OEM 991 winter tires/wheels sold together...you can get a good deal on both when this happens
- With an extra set of wheels, you get a chance to change the look of the car
-With an extra set of wheels, you can change them yourself and at your convenience. You also don't have to worry about transporting the tires to a shop (for me, this is a huge PITA)

Old 07-26-2015, 07:05 AM
Jersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to beholdJersey Shore is a splendid one to behold
Get a set of Victor Equipment rims (made specifically for Porsche) or other lower cost rims ($500-$700 per rim) for the winter. They are going to get loaded up with road grime anyway. Don't spend big dollars for winter rims. Then you don't have to go through the switching process and run the risk of damaging your nice rims.

Old 07-26-2015, 08:14 AM
991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light991TurboS is a glorious beacon of light
You can also buy OEM used off of eBay or the classifieds here or another
P forum and save a good bit of $.

Old 07-26-2015, 03:32 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
You know, for $ 7K you can get a really decent AWD Audi Quattro or some SUV and not be destroying the paint and windshield of your GTS by driving it on salted and sanded roads, or corroding every fastener under the car.

I have a 4WD Toyota Tundra for lousy weather days, and it sure takes a beating in the winter. Just sayin'.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:26 PM

Thanks for all the info.

So the consensus seems that taking off and putting on winter rubber is a bad idea period.

Ill look around for a set of winter turbo s wheels.

Thanks.

Old 07-26-2015, 06:40 PM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
If it's snowing outside (it will never snow outside) I'm driving my Volkswagen, not my Porsche!

Have you thought of looking around your local junkyards or at a place that specializes in wrecked cars? I've heard of people getting wheels off a totalled cat for next to nothing.

Old 07-27-2015, 08:05 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold

I've swapped out 4 times already.
For 2 winters.
Not a problem, shop says tires are fine.
They will be used again this winter.

Old 07-28-2015, 06:10 AM
stealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud ofstealthboy has much to be proud of
I just got a complete set for winter (wheels and tires). This way I can just change them at home with no problem. Also, I wanted 19" for Winter instead of my 20" wheels.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:23 PM
Antics22 is on a distinguished road
on the same subject, will the Porsche automatically recognize another set of TPMS sensors on the winter setup? or will it require programming at the dealer level?

thanks in advance!

Old 07-28-2015, 03:25 PM

Originally Posted by Antics22
on the same subject, will the Porsche automatically recognize another set of TPMS sensors on the winter setup? or will it require programming at the dealer level?

thanks in advance!
I think the car recognizes them ok without much issue.

Old 07-28-2015, 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by eldertec
I've swapped out 4 times already.
For 2 winters.
Not a problem, shop says tires are fine.
They will be used again this winter.
Do you have the tires switched out at a local shop or dealer?

Old 07-28-2015, 03:37 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by akbjr
I think the car recognizes them ok without much issue.
No programming required as long as the TPMS module on the winter set is of the correct frequency that matches OEM specs. You'll just need to re-set the TPMS system after switching wheels. After driving around the block, the car should get a read on the new tires.

Old 07-28-2015, 04:12 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !
I waited until I received a coupon and tire offer from the dealer and or porsche to buy wheels and tires. Went with 19inch sottozero II tires. dealer stores the tires and balances and installs each set for $100 twice a year.

It is a deal! not having to store and or drag the tires is worth every penny.

Old 07-28-2015, 07:59 PM
If I have a GTS with center locks, how do I calculate what size 19 inch wheel and tire will fit without affecting the speedometer? also will any 19 inch center lock fit on this car and where do I find 19 inch center locks?

thanks

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Changing tires on wheels vs new set