Sport Design Bumper & License Plate

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 04:26 PM
rocket94 is on a distinguished road
Sport Design Bumper & License Plate

Any suggestions how to mount a plate with out drilling?
I have the tow hook mount but there is a parking sensor right next to it.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:06 PM
jster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud ofjster has much to be proud of
I needed to put on a front plate to go thru a city that gave me a warning last time I was there. I wound up with the tow hook from US Mill Works and it gives me false positives about 10% of the time (mount far left to get it away to the right of the sensor). I figured that if it really gets annoying I can turn the system off for the brief period it is yelling at me. Even then, when it gives a false positive, it last only a short while and then goes away. That is to say, it works when I want it to and bugs me a very small percentage of the time. YMMV.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:31 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I decided not to put one on at all, but to keep it in the cabin should I get stopped - "Officer, I am waiting for my license plate mount to come in the mail". When parked, I will leave it on the dash.

Old 07-29-2015, 05:55 PM
john991 is on a distinguished road
I used a Skene mount.
It requires drilling two 1/8" holes under the top ledge of the centre opening. You would have to stand on your head to see them.

Last edited by john991; 07-29-2015 at 06:10 PM.
Old 07-30-2015, 10:45 AM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I also used Skene Mount and it works fine and as shown on my Avatar does not completely block my 3rd radiator.

Old 07-30-2015, 01:27 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
I decided not to put one on at all, but to keep it in the cabin should I get stopped - "Officer, I am waiting for my license plate mount to come in the mail". When parked, I will leave it on the dash.
I decided to do the same with my new GTS. The sport design front bumper just looks so clean and aggressive, it's a shame to mount a front plate. I keep the plate in my frunk and plan on using the same excuse as PorscheCrazy if I get stopped. I've heard from others that you're much more likely to get a parking ticket for lack of the front plate (I'm told that keeping the plate on the dash will not help you evade this ticket) than you are to get pulled over. My GTS is only 3 days old, so all of this is hearsay, not my actual experience.

Old 07-30-2015, 06:51 PM
rocket94 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by eg991
I decided to do the same with my new GTS. The sport design front bumper just looks so clean and aggressive, it's a shame to mount a front plate. I keep the plate in my frunk and plan on using the same excuse as PorscheCrazy if I get stopped. I've heard from others that you're much more likely to get a parking ticket for lack of the front plate (I'm told that keeping the plate on the dash will not help you evade this ticket) than you are to get pulled over. My GTS is only 3 days old, so all of this is hearsay, not my actual experience.
Got pulled over, used that excuse, he didnt buy it! He told me must be mounted on exterior of car.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:50 PM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
I just got the skene mount, but had to leave town for work right when I got it. I will install it this weekend probably when I get back. I know they are tiny holes that you really can't see, but I just HATE the thought of putting holes in my bumper. But at $200 a ticket, I guess I'll have to learn to live with the front plate...

They are tiny screws, and I know folks say the mount is very sturdy, just seems like it would fall off after a while. Hoping that's not the case.

Old 07-31-2015, 12:58 PM
Snowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to beholdSnowczar is a splendid one to behold
I've never heard of an issue with the Skene falling off. Mine has been on the car since new in January, 2013 with no issue.

Old 07-31-2015, 01:44 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by CO997
I just got the skene mount, but had to leave town for work right when I got it. I will install it this weekend probably when I get back. I know they are tiny holes that you really can't see, but I just HATE the thought of putting holes in my bumper. But at $200 a ticket, I guess I'll have to learn to live with the front plate...

They are tiny screws, and I know folks say the mount is very sturdy, just seems like it would fall off after a while. Hoping that's not the case.
$200 ticket? Really? Not a fix it citation?

Old 08-01-2015, 09:32 AM
CO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud ofCO997 has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by PorscheCrazy
$200 ticket? Really? Not a fix it citation?
So far I have been fortunate enough to have not gotten a ticket. But was at the dealer recently for service and asked if it was really necessary to put a front plate on and that was when he said its a $200 fine. I have no interest in verifying that 😀.

Old 08-02-2015, 08:46 AM
cairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the roughcairo94507 is a jewel in the rough
In CA, there is no such thing as a free fix-it ticket. That went the way of the dinosaur long ago. Now they have a minimum fee for the "violation" and then the usual and customary court processing fees attached. Figure $200 or more now.

Placing the front plate on the dash board is a no-go as well. Have you ever talked to a meter-maid? These people are miserable humans taking who take out their misery on the public every chance they get. Best to just bite the bullet and mount the front plate as low as you can, as cleanly as you can.

Additionally, if you are the type of person who tends to have illegal substances in your car, why give the cops a free pass to search your car once they stop you for no front plate. "I smelled the odor of marijuana" is all it takes in CA to justify tossing your whole car. In some cities, just crossing the border gives them that excuse as the entire city has the odor or marijuana.....

Old 08-02-2015, 12:27 PM
I broke down and installed mine yesterday. I looks ok, but I hate it. The car looked so much better without it. Guess there isn't much else to do with these laws.

Old 08-02-2015, 02:02 PM
neil.schneider has a spectacular aura aboutneil.schneider has a spectacular aura about
I need a New Jersey where you have to have a front plate. I have several friends who are cops in the town that I live in. I'm sure I can get away with it in my town but not if I drive around and get pulled over. As such I just put the plate on. Although I really detest drilling holes in my bumper it's the look of the license plate that bothers me the most. It really does destroy the clean lines of the front of the car. Oh well I guess I can always move to Pennsylvania or Delaware they only have a rear plate requirement.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:46 PM
BOBP is on a distinguished road
This is what I did on my C4S. I took the tag to a Kinko's and had them make a color copy of the tag. Than I laminated the tag just with the letters that were on the tag. No surrounding information. Get a couple pieces of Velcro and mount the new laminated tag inside the center cavity. From 30 yards away, it looks like the real tag. BAM

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Sport Design Bumper & License Plate