Does anyone else's rear wheel well look like this?

Old 08-04-2015, 11:30 PM
studlee is on a distinguished road
Does anyone else's rear wheel well look like this?

30,000 miles later....

Old 08-05-2015, 06:20 AM
mtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond reputemtony has a reputation beyond repute
That doesn't look right at all particularly since your sig says your car should be red! Do you drive on gravel roads? Is your "car washer" using a scrub sponge in those areas?

Old 08-05-2015, 06:23 AM
White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !White Rock Is a GOD !
Are you sure it isn't rubber from the tires or tar from the road? Try using a clay bar to remove it.

Old 08-05-2015, 06:36 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
That area does get some road rash, but yours is the worst I have seen. Do you drive on gravel roads, or possibly on roads that have been salted and sanded in the winter?

Old 08-05-2015, 06:54 AM
Jim M. will become famous soon enoughJim M. will become famous soon enough
Do you have wheel spacers installed?

Old 08-05-2015, 08:16 AM
Good eye this is not my car. i returned my leased red porsche last friday. I have been so sad for the last few days i decided to start looking for a pre-owned to purchase. This is a 2012 991 white obviously. Seeing this leads me to believe the rear bumper was replaced and not painted and obviously painted to thin, this road rash is exposing the black plastic.

Originally Posted by mtony
That doesn't look right at all particularly since your sig says your car should be red! Do you drive on gravel roads? Is your "car washer" using a scrub sponge in those areas?

Old 08-05-2015, 08:18 AM
i could be rubber as the car saw a track day recently. will scrape with my finger nail a little harder.

Originally Posted by White Rock
Are you sure it isn't rubber from the tires or tar from the road? Try using a clay bar to remove it.

Old 08-05-2015, 08:21 AM
has classic 20" with spacer option from factory. i never imagined spacer would cause this much damage....no i know. good lesson to learn....not on my car. hahaa

Originally Posted by Jim M.
Do you have wheel spacers installed?

Old 08-05-2015, 08:26 AM
this car has been a west coast car it's whole life. Hard to imagine a porsche owner living on a gravel road. 1st registered owner is listed in San Fran. Maybe lived by the beach where wind blew sand into the roads. without a paint meter i can't tell....but my hunch is new rear bumper that was repainted to thin. In my experience repaint is never as durable as factory.

Originally Posted by GS997S
That area does get some road rash, but yours is the worst I have seen. Do you drive on gravel roads, or possibly on roads that have been salted and sanded in the winter?

Old 08-05-2015, 09:14 AM
Vicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to allVicelord is a name known to all
Looks like bubbly paint around the black area. Salt damage.

Old 08-05-2015, 10:19 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Vicelord
Looks like bubbly paint around the black area. Salt damage.
I doubt salt damage, at least not from corrosion. That body part is plastic type material, plus the OP said the car is a West Coast car. Probably just bad road rash from gravel or sand on the road.

Old 08-05-2015, 02:31 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Looks more like a scrape than purely rash to me. I see plenty of rash marks around that particular area, especially on cars with spacers, like on my 4S with 15mm in the rear. That area gets very rough to the touch and you will see some black plastic appear in the more concentrated spots. I drive my 991 in all sorts of weather and there is always gravel on the roads around the NE.
But your picture shows an area that is stripped bare in nearly a straight line vertically. Straight, steady-width lines like that just don't happen from gravel hits. So I would say that someone backed up over a low parking curb and caught the cover in that area, tried removing some body tape and it was bonded to the paint, or maybe the rear came down on something....
How does the other side same location compare??

Old 08-05-2015, 04:17 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
Agree, that doesn't look like rash.

Old 08-05-2015, 04:34 PM
I think you are absolutely right...lots of rash...paint got weak...backing into side of curb or something and rubbed off the paint.

Originally Posted by plenum
Looks more like a scrape than purely rash to me. I see plenty of rash marks around that particular area, especially on cars with spacers, like on my 4S with 15mm in the rear. That area gets very rough to the touch and you will see some black plastic appear in the more concentrated spots. I drive my 991 in all sorts of weather and there is always gravel on the roads around the NE.
But your picture shows an area that is stripped bare in nearly a straight line vertically. Straight, steady-width lines like that just don't happen from gravel hits. So I would say that someone backed up over a low parking curb and caught the cover in that area, tried removing some body tape and it was bonded to the paint, or maybe the rear came down on something....

Old 08-05-2015, 04:59 PM
Originally Posted by plenum
Could be, who knows. But it seems strange that if the driver backed up over something that the damage is on the side of the wheel well facing the tire. If the driver backed up over something, I would expect the damage to be on the lower rear of the bumper cover.

As you said, it would be interesting to see how the other side looks.

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Does anyone else's rear wheel well look like this?