My new GTS

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-01-2015, 11:03 AM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by Little Gator
I really wasn't joking when I asked why did Porsche change the torque spec for the wheel bolts and drop the use of the Optimoly paste after so many years of insisting on its' use.
Does anyone have even a guess?
My guess is that owners didn't like having to bother with the paste and complained about it. So maybe Porsche gave in and said "fine, have it your way", and removed the paste, and increased the torque spec to achieve the same clamping load as before. Anti-sieze pastes normally make tightening a threaded fastener easier by about 10%. So the new torque spec could be to overcome the added friction of no paste. But that is my guess.

The downside of this change is it will allow more corossion to form than before. Ever loosen some lug nuts and hear all that load squealing? Or bust off a stud because of rust bonding then together? I think far more lug nuts and studs have been damaged during removal than during tightening.

I never heard about not needing to use Optimoly nor the torque increase. Where did you hear this, what is your source ?

Old 09-02-2015, 03:09 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I don't see any change in the torque specifications. I believe torque for the CLs were always 443 ft/lb. and for the 5 bolt, it remains at 118 ft/lb.

Also, on p 272 of the manual, there are instructions to apply "aluminum paste" on the threads -- see #10, so dropping use of Optimoly is incorrect.

Old 09-03-2015, 08:04 PM
eg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to beholdeg991 is a splendid one to behold
My new GTS

Great spec, and car looks gorgeous. Congrats!

Old 09-03-2015, 08:12 PM
See U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really niceSee U n Rear View is just really nice
Beautiful GTS! Thanks for the detailed pics...

Old 09-04-2015, 05:45 PM
kermit_S is on a distinguished road
nice then again im being bias

Old 09-06-2015, 11:52 AM
desmo748 is on a distinguished road
Very nice.