Rear brake: passenger side rear failure to release

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-23-2015, 03:56 PM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !

Seems that i have had this problem for a while...12000 miles ago, Porsche replaced all rotors and pads because I complained that the brakes squeaked as I accelerated.

It went away for a while and now it is back.

I put the car on a lift and noticed that the outside rear passenger brake pad is thinner than the corresponding pad on the driver's side. Driver side rear pads are the same thickness and are the same thickness as the passenger side inside pad.

Car brakes will not squeak on acceleration from full stop.
Car brakes squeak from acceleration after brakes applied to less than full stop.

Anybody else have this?

I'm taking it into the dealer on Tuesday.

...my biggest problem here is that the service manager - a nice guy - lacks three important virtues: 1. Ability to listen, 2. Ability to process what he has heard and 3. Ability to accept that he may be unable to formulate an answer to the problem he has encountered.

...he previously diagnosed this issue as a hard spot on the pad.....I previously told him that I hoped he was correct but suggested that he may have been wrong....

Old 08-26-2015, 07:27 AM
rnl
rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !rnl Is a GOD !

Mystery solved. It seems that a retaining spring became dislodged or canted. As a result the inside pad had incomplete contact with rotor. New spring and disc cleaned. Good as new. No squeak

Old 08-26-2015, 07:29 AM
rnl

Originally Posted by rnl
Mystery solved. It seems that a retaining spring became dislodged or canted. As a result the inside pad had incomplete contact with rotor. New spring and disc cleaned. Good as new. No squeak

photo 3

Old 08-26-2015, 08:21 AM
Sizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond reputeSizzle Chest has a reputation beyond repute
Glad they got it figured out!!! Now you can stop on a dime! LOL Surprised that you weren't getting any pulling or noticed any reduced braking with that little of the pad in contact with the rotor.

Old 08-26-2015, 02:36 PM
rnl
Originally Posted by Sizzle Chest
Glad they got it figured out!!! Now you can stop on a dime! LOL Surprised that you weren't getting any pulling or noticed any reduced braking with that little of the pad in contact with the rotor.
Thanks. Figuring it out was easy once i got past the service advisor. Turns out yesterday was his last day. I was with the tech who merely removed the wheel and inspected with a flashlight to discover the problem.

An open mind is the most valuable tool

The pad was making 80 percent contact. These brakes are so good that it was not noticeable