strangest issue with the 911...maximum lumbar support

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2015, 06:13 PM
dkim12 is on a distinguished road
strangest issue with the 911...maximum lumbar support

It actually started about a month ago, and I've been kinda dealing with it by releasing the air in the lumbar support. Even after I do it, it will start to fill up again and I will have to reduce the air in the seat again. Really strange...

I have the 14 way adjustable seats and SmartTop. I've had SmartTop in for a over 4 months or so I think and it wasn't an issue but I'm wondering if that is what's causing the electronics in the seats to act up.

Anyone else have this issue before I take it to the dealer? I'm scared they are going to tell me it's the SmartTop and now my warranty is void because of something it may have messed up.

Old 08-28-2015, 01:49 PM
GraSox is on a distinguished road
Too funny.....I had this same issue in my 997. Exactly as you describe. Someone told me to just reset the memory for seats, linked to memory position and for specific key. I did and it went away. Very weird I know, it was like there was a ghost in my seat. Hope this helps.

Old 08-29-2015, 10:18 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by GraSox
Too funny.....I had this same issue in my 997. Exactly as you describe. Someone told me to just reset the memory for seats, linked to memory position and for specific key. I did and it went away. Very weird I know, it was like there was a ghost in my seat. Hope this helps.
That's strange. I didn't think the memory function had any control over the lumbar support.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:48 AM
Thank you! i just have to figure out how to reset memory now.

Old 08-30-2015, 06:53 PM
MNC4S will become famous soon enoughMNC4S will become famous soon enough
Had exactly the same issue with my 2009 997.2 C4S. Memory reset worked for me too!

Old 08-30-2015, 07:24 PM
sorry did a search...how do you reset the seat settings?

Old 08-30-2015, 07:46 PM
PorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond reputePorscheCrazy has a reputation beyond repute
I don't know about a "reset", but why don't you just set the lumbar the way you want it and then memorize it? Hit set and button 1 or 2 on the door. Remember, if you have memory activated for the key fob, you should memorize that setting for the key fob too (press set and the 3rd memory setting - the one with the picture of the key on it).

Old 08-30-2015, 08:01 PM
MNC4S will become famous soon enoughMNC4S will become famous soon enough
Originally Posted by dkim12
sorry did a search...how do you reset the seat settings?
Not sure if 991 is different, but on a 997.2 there are 3 buttons. #1 has a symbol of a key on it. I just adjusted everything they way I wanted (including the lumbar support) and pressed the "M" button and the #1(with key symbol) memory button simultaneously to "reset" the memory. I actually do this every spring and fall when I switch from clunky winter shoes to summer footwear and back (as I have a 6-speed and my clutch foot notices the difference). The lumbar support deciding on its own to be maximally deployed has happened on more than one occasion, and is cured by the memory reset.

Old 08-30-2015, 10:44 PM
bli8 is infamous around these partsbli8 is infamous around these parts
OP I have the exact same issue w/ my '12 C2S Cab, and even after numerous memory resets, the lumbar would get to max after a while and then I'll have to let some air out time and again. Wonder what the fix is other than reset memory.

Old 08-31-2015, 10:01 AM
GraSox is on a distinguished road
Yep, as I said the "resetting" the memory worked for me. Wish I knew why but it just worked.
Try it and see.

Old 08-31-2015, 04:57 PM
"resetting" ahh icic.

I've tried it numerous times and still get the lumbar to max out. It happens even as I'm driving which is really frustrating. Taking it to the dealer soon I guess.....

Old 09-01-2015, 12:00 PM
plenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant futureplenum has a brilliant future
Taking it to the dealer is the best advice anyone can offer on this.... but for those curious, I believe the seat functions are also electronically controlled via CAN, and if that is in fact the case there may be an issue with the controller and / or gateway module. Just about everything "electric" in the car communicates via these modules -- and yes, installing something like SmartTop could in theory cause a conflict of some sort (although I know zilch about the inner workings of S-T) resulting in zig instead of zag, out when you are thinking in, and so on. A dirty signal could be instructing the lumbar switch to actuate..... But I doubt S-T product is integrating with CAN at all.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:00 PM
byroncheung is an unknown quantity at this point
ugh my 997.2 has just started this symptom (occasionally lumbar support blow up to max...). reset it still happens. did anyone figure out how to fix it other than taking it to the dealer?