911 Refresh Officially Announced

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-09-2015, 09:40 AM
stratocaster69 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by lunarx
When these cars hit the dyno, it will be discovered that they are a lot more than +20hp.
(I think S RWHP will be higher than the M3.)
It took 30hp to improve GTS 0-60 by 0.1s. These cars are a conservative 0.2s faster.
Also, 10s faster, on ring suggests much more than 20hp, unless you think the the 10s is from RWS.
I think its more about torque than HP as the GTS 991 is rated at 430. The new cars are supposed to have a bit more torque. And on the ring I thought that the new all wheel steer was the biggest time saver, like you mentioned. I may be wrong on both!

Last edited by stratocaster69; 09-09-2015 at 09:45 AM.
Old 09-09-2015, 09:43 AM
Originally Posted by flyanddive
I'm not feeling it. The new design from the front looks more boxster/cayman, and the vertical louvers with new tail light design visually narrows the rear.

Options are going to put this new C2S in the $130K range too.
I don't see where you can add the Aero Kit either or just the duckbill for the back. That was on the old site.

Old 09-09-2015, 11:26 AM
tromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to beholdtromero is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by tommyboy214
There are 25 flavors of the 911 and Porsche positions the cars well to make as much profit as possible. If you want more power open up your wallet and buy a Turbo. Porsche will be happy to sell it you. You have been complaining about power for years now. Go grab a M4 if thats what you want. There is nothing wrong with them and you can throw a tun on it to make it 520 hp for 1500 bucks.

you miss my point. I understand I can spend $150k on a 911 turbo and get 600hp. My point is if BMW can give you 435hp for $65k why can't Porsche give the base 911 at least that much for $90k? Does it cost Porsche more to dial up the turbos a bit more for more power? I think not. So why withhold the cars potential ?

Old 09-09-2015, 01:11 PM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stratocaster69
I think its more about torque than HP as the GTS 991 is rated at 430. The new cars are supposed to have a bit more torque. And on the ring I thought that the new all wheel steer was the biggest time saver, like you mentioned. I may be wrong on both!
Porsche is manipulating their numbers. Because of that torque, actual RWHP will be higher than published HP numbers suggest.
They thought we could not handle the truth.

Old 09-09-2015, 03:02 PM
Porsche is manipulating their numbers. Because of that torque, actual RWHP will be higher than published HP numbers suggest.
They thought we could not handle the truth.
Isn't HP more for top end speed and Torque for more get up and go? I think they show the new car at 1MPH faster on top end. Just curious. I don't know a lot about this stuff.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:56 PM
flyanddive will become famous soon enoughflyanddive will become famous soon enough
Porsche usually understates the numbers. I agree with tromero though, the 911 line needs some consolidation. Might as well just make the base Carerra 500hp @$120K, and the Carerra S 600hp @$160K. From there you can add your $$$$ options.

P.S. I noticed if you take Euro delivery it comes with a refugee family.

Old 09-09-2015, 05:59 PM
dux
dux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond reputedux has a reputation beyond repute
Originally Posted by flyanddive
P.S. I noticed if you take Euro delivery it comes with a refugee family.
Really?

Old 09-09-2015, 09:29 PM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
911 Refresh Officially Announced

The 2 Exhaust tips on the S are Genius!

Old 09-10-2015, 06:52 AM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by tromero
you miss my point. I understand I can spend $150k on a 911 turbo and get 600hp. My point is if BMW can give you 435hp for $65k why can't Porsche give the base 911 at least that much for $90k? Does it cost Porsche more to dial up the turbos a bit more for more power? I think not. So why withhold the cars potential ?
Because having the S at 420 and the Turbo at 520+ is what creates the most optimal profit mix for Porsche (in their expert opinion). Sure, they could give you 450 in the S at minimal cost, but that would start to encroach on the GTS, which would push up and encroach on the Turbo and so forth. That is a slippery slope for Porsche, because if too many guys think the S has more than enough power, they won't be selling as many GTS and Turbos, which have better profit margins (because most of the components are the same across the 911 range).

Old 09-10-2015, 08:29 AM
tx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of lighttx11 is a glorious beacon of light
Thanks Porsche! The changes don't warrant an upgrade for me. If I wanted a turbo, I would buy the Turbo.

Old 09-10-2015, 08:42 AM
lunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to beholdlunarx is a splendid one to behold
Originally Posted by stratocaster69
Isn't HP more for top end speed and Torque for more get up and go? I think they show the new car at 1MPH faster on top end. Just curious. I don't know a lot about this stuff.
HP is what really matters, as its the ammount of work done by the torque. Gearing manipulates torque for the different loads the engine encounters, which lets the engine deliver its available HP more effectively.

An engine with a broad torque curve usually delivers more collective HP as it pulls through each gear, which moves the car further faster.
Thats the advantage a Turbo engine has over an NA engine.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:11 AM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
Originally Posted by Michael_s
So no center exhaust pipes that we have seen in all the photos?
I think you need to add sports exhaust.

Old 09-10-2015, 09:14 AM
naples991 is on a distinguished road
They have incrementally added power since I became a 911 owner in 1988. It bugs me also but that's their strategy. If you want the horsepower they will sell it to you

Old 09-10-2015, 12:14 PM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !

I didn't miss your point at all. It is not a question if Porsche can make more HP for less money, they will not. BMW and a host of other folks offer a lot more Hp for less money. The sports car market has never been more competitive or better.

You stated " I am well aware that Porsche makes more powerful cars at higher price points. My point was we should not have to spend $165k to get both power and handling ala 911 turbo S. In my opinion the base 911 should deliver for $90k at the very least what a BMW M3 does at 435hp for $65k, or a Corvette for $55k or even a lowly mustang GT at 435hp for $35k.
If indeed Porsche does deliver a base Carrera with twin turbo and 400hp then I will shut up. That will be close enough for me and more than enough for my driving pleasure. 350hp at $90k is just not a good value."

I had a Audi S5 years back as a DD. It was probably one of the worst car I have owned. Outside of getting a lemon it was underpowered and a pig. I cut ties with Audi and sold the car. It looked great but was slow.

Didn't you dump your 911 a while back? If so why still hang out and worry about it.
At 385 Hp and a substantial increase in torque should offer meaningful performance gains. They offer a flavor for everyone you just have to pay. If the 911 doesn't meet your expectations vote with your dollar somewhere else.

Old 09-10-2015, 02:53 PM
HP is what really matters, as its the ammount of work done by the torque. Gearing manipulates torque for the different loads the engine encounters, which lets the engine deliver its available HP more effectively.

An engine with a broad torque curve usually delivers more collective HP as it pulls through each gear, which moves the car further faster.
Thats the advantage a Turbo engine has over an NA engine.
Thanks for the explanation. Got it!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 911 Refresh Officially Announced