New Porsche 991CS owner w/ Fabspeed exhaust and headers question

Old 10-06-2015, 11:46 PM
Tom Mancuso is on a distinguished road
New Porsche 991CS owner w/ Fabspeed exhaust and headers question

Hello all,

I new to the forum and to the Porsche world, I just purchased a 2014 silver 991 Carrera S. I was thinking while it is a beautiful and amazing car, I would like to add a little but more power and also make the Exhaust a little bit louder. I do have PSE also on my car and from what I've read this system as with most it would negate the use of this feature. I"m no stranger to fast sports cars and modifying them even further when owning them. Some past cars include Mustang Cobras, Dodge Vipers, and my last car a highly modified Mercedes C63. AMG It seems like I can't leave anything alone too long.

I have the chance to buy a Fabspeed Xpipe Exhaust System. I wanted to know from any owners if the have done this or heard a car with this system on it. If you have can you elaborate, how loud is it and if you have actually noticed a power increase. I know the power increases can be in our minds some times but I was curious if anyone had any dyno tests or if they actually can feel it. A really hard question has anyone heard this system or done this with their headers cats or no cats?

My only other planned modifications right now are BMC filters and then I think it will have great power and enough modifying for right now as the options are limited after.

Thank you for any information you all can provide!

Old 10-07-2015, 06:31 AM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
you may want to read this recent thread.

http://rennlist.com/forums/991/89714...e-headers.html

Old 10-07-2015, 08:44 AM
Originally Posted by drcollie
you may want to read this recent thread.

http://rennlist.com/forums/991/89714...e-headers.html
Thank you sir! This is what I wanted to read, I already knew about the air pump comparison for combustion engine, more air out needs more air in. My old C63 ECU tuner talked to me about the difficulty in remapping the ECU so I knew that was another hangup. I'm kind of stuck on a nicer sounding exhaust and maybe some weight not dwelling on much of any HP gain. The more I read, the more I'm coming to see this. Thank goodness it's a beautiful car already and does have a good amount of power or I would be bummed.

Thank you for the link!

Old 10-07-2015, 07:01 PM
drcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond reputedrcollie has a reputation beyond repute
If you just want a good tone, then a cat-back exhaust is the way to go. Akropovic ($$$), Tubi ($$) or Kline ($$) are excellent. I have a Tubi system on my 991s (2014) and for me its perfect. Great tone, not booming loud.

There are tons of threads here and on Rennlist on exhausts and X-pipes in particular. Myself, I don't like the X-pipes.....but the are inexpensive ($)

Old 10-07-2015, 10:32 PM
Originally Posted by drcollie
If you just want a good tone, then a cat-back exhaust is the way to go. Akropovic ($$$), Tubi ($$) or Kline ($$) are excellent. I have a Tubi system on my 991s (2014) and for me its perfect. Great tone, not booming loud.

There are tons of threads here and on Rennlist on exhausts and X-pipes in particular. Myself, I don't like the X-pipes.....but the are inexpensive ($)
I do want some decent sound to it. Not only in the sounds it makes but also in the sound level. I came from a 600hp built C63 full bolton and big tune etc. But I left the factory mufflers and just deleted the second cats and their third muffler (resonator) and replaced it with an Xpipe. It sounded awesome and most people thought I had spend thousands on an exhaust, but that money was put into headers and some other parts. It like this car had different driving modes which helped control the sound level a little. So I'm not totally apposed to one of those systems but some of their prices like the AK titanium are a little over what I would spend for a catback system. After all I believe besides material costs it is just bend tubing so there is some price gouging because it does go on a "Porsche" and that is a game I will not play! These motors alone being such high tuned from the factories can make some great sound if they are played with the right way.

Thank you all for the posts I like hearing your feedback.

Old 10-08-2015, 11:06 PM
whangmichael is on a distinguished road
If you have PSE, go with the AWE switchpath exhaust. I've had this system for about a year now, and the sound just gets better and better. It's also pretty damn loud. Best bang for the buck in my opinion.

PS. I have had the AWE switchpath exhaust paired with the Fabspeed 200 cell headers. The headers did not make the note louder, but instead it made the pitch higher. Hope this information helps.

Last edited by whangmichael; 10-08-2015 at 11:12 PM.
Old 10-08-2015, 11:42 PM
whoadude is on a distinguished road
OP I came from a c63 with x pipe and LT headers as well. Seems like we have a similar mindset. My c2s came with PSE and while that sounded really good at high rpms I wanted just a little bit more sound in the lower rpms as well and maybe add some power.

I've really found that you are going to be hard pressed to add any real power to this highly tuned machine. You can spring for x51 but that's $$$ for 30 hp. Another option is to go with a full exhaust, headers, 200 cell cats, mufflers. Another member here has the full kline setup and is quicker than a x51 car to 100mph.

After weighing all the options and costs, I just went for AWE switchpath. I was pretty borderline basing my decision on the youtube clips but you really need to hear it in person to appreciate. Power gains are probably pretty negligible but the sound is incredible.

Old 10-09-2015, 12:26 AM
Originally Posted by whoadude
OP I came from a c63 with x pipe and LT headers as well. Seems like we have a similar mindset. My c2s came with PSE and while that sounded really good at high rpms I wanted just a little bit more sound in the lower rpms as well and maybe add some power.

I've really found that you are going to be hard pressed to add any real power to this highly tuned machine. You can spring for x51 but that's $$$ for 30 hp. Another option is to go with a full exhaust, headers, 200 cell cats, mufflers. Another member here has the full kline setup and is quicker than a x51 car to 100mph.

After weighing all the options and costs, I just went for AWE switchpath. I was pretty borderline basing my decision on the youtube clips but you really need to hear it in person to appreciate. Power gains are probably pretty negligible but the sound is incredible.
Yeah my CS has PSE also and I am really leaning either Fabspeed Valvetronic with X pipe or AWE switch path. I'm doing exactly what you were doing which is going through sound clips. But like you said it's hard to determine from video clips. My feeling is the same as yours it is such a great and well tuned car, but because it is I would like it to sound louder and a little deeper but. At the same time I don't think I want to give up the PSE feature.

That's cool to meet another previous modded C63 owner. You totally understand were I am coming from.