Concerns Buying Used 2014 C4S from non-franchised Dealer?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-22-2015, 11:20 PM
Turbotip will become famous soon enoughTurbotip will become famous soon enough
Concerns Buying Used 2014 C4S from non-franchised Dealer?

Hi Guys,

I turned in my 2013 991 C2 a few months ago when my 2 year lease was up and I now have found a pretty well optioned 2014 C4S with 20,000 miles at an independent dealer (non-Porsche dealer) that I am considering buying. It has all of my desired options and I have negotiated the price down to 63% of the original MSRP. the car is a 1 owner lease return and has a very clean Carfax that shows both the 10k and 20k services completed. The Carfax shows no history of any problems or other service visits. Since it is not being sold at a franchised Porsche dealership it is not certified, but it has approximately 2 years and 30,000 miles of the original factory warranty left. Any reason I should have the car inspected at a Porsche dealership before pulling the trigger? If its clean, drives solid, has the remaining warranty, and clean Carfax, do I need to be worried about anything else?

Last edited by Turbotip; 11-22-2015 at 11:22 PM.
Old 11-23-2015, 06:14 AM
991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about991carreradriver has a spectacular aura about
Assuming that you know Porsche cars, and the dealer has a track record, known to you and is reputable there should be no problem. If you are really concerned, you can always obtain a PPI.

Old 11-23-2015, 10:03 AM
tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !tommyboy214 Is a GOD !
I would get a PPI done if you have any doubt. It will give you peace of mind. I would not hesitate to buy from a non Porsche dealer on a year old car. My only concern is why so many miles on a 14? Its not outrageous but I am assuming the price reflects a non Porsche dealer and high miles.

Old 11-23-2015, 11:07 AM
eldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to beholdeldertec is a splendid one to behold
I would certainly have it taken to a Porsche Dealer or a reputable Porsche Indy to have it checked.
I am not concerned about the miles.
The 10k and 20k service done, Golden!

Old 11-23-2015, 05:37 PM
af330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura aboutaf330i has a spectacular aura about
I purchased my 2008 997 from a local Mercedes dealer back in 2010 ... So if the worry is not buying from a Porsche dealer I wouldn't worry too much about that part, if you can have a local dealer look over the car prior to purchase that would be great and worth the piece of mind.

Btw I didn't do that as I looked over the car myself and felt very comfortable with it.

Another btw I traded it in to the Porsche dealer when I got my 991 and they resold it certified to a lucky new owner.

A good car is a good car no matter who is selling it.

Old 11-24-2015, 08:03 AM
Tpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to allTpup is a name known to all
If that was a clean lease return I'd wonder why a Porsche dealer did not buy it and CPI it? I would have a PPI and have someone inspect it for accidents. In my experience Carfax is not worth the paper it's printed on. I purchased a car with a "clean" carfax. 9 months after I purchased the car Carfax showed that the car had a head on into a tree and did footnote the entry saying it was not reported until 9 months later. Like I said, carfax is not worth the paper it's printed on imo.

Old 11-24-2015, 02:17 PM
KonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud ofKonaKai has much to be proud of
Originally Posted by Tpup
If that was a clean lease return I'd wonder why a Porsche dealer did not buy it and CPI it? I would have a PPI and have someone inspect it for accidents. In my experience Carfax is not worth the paper it's printed on. I purchased a car with a "clean" carfax. 9 months after I purchased the car Carfax showed that the car had a head on into a tree and did footnote the entry saying it was not reported until 9 months later. Like I said, carfax is not worth the paper it's printed on imo.
I agree. The Carfax is very unreliable for accident repair, especially on such a young car (they have a lag in reporting). Get a proper PPI at the dealership and make sure they use a paint meter -- it's worth the $$ to have them back the car on a piece of paper.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:23 AM
beemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the roughbeemer guy is a jewel in the rough
Originally Posted by Tpup
If that was a clean lease return I'd wonder why a Porsche dealer did not buy it and CPI it?
Ditto. You're considering buying a non-CPO Porsche at a non-Porsche dealership, spending (I'm guessing) $70K without a PPI? That's nuts.

Spend a few hundred bucks and get the car inspected. Cheap insurance, money well spent, etc.

Old 11-25-2015, 09:27 AM
GS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond reputeGS997S has a reputation beyond repute
What do you mean by "independent" dealer. You say it is non-Porsche, which I understand, but is it not a franchised dealer of any brand? Is it just a used car dealer? I think I would look around and get a CPO car.